Outdoor rifle ranges in Massachusetts accessible without a membership?

Devil_Inside

NES Member
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but are there any outdoor rifle ranges in Massachusetts accessible without a membership? I had looked into joining a club, but most of them require sponsorship and I simply don't know anyone and/or are already at capacity and not accepting new members. I was wondering if there was a place where I could rent a lane for a few hours?

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but are there any outdoor rifle ranges in Massachusetts accessible without a membership? I had looked into joining a club, but most of them require sponsorship and I simply don't know anyone and/or are already at capacity and not accepting new members. I was wondering if there was a place where I could rent a lane for a few hours?

Nobody offers that in MA. You need to look a bit harder, there are shitloads of clubs in MA with rifle ranges. It gets easier outside of the "loops" though.

Eta: If you tell people the region, some hereight be able to give suggestions.

I am in Burlington, MA
That's why you're probably having issues, loop clubs like "insert 2 big loop clubs near burlington that shall remain nameless here" are brutal to join and have awful rules. Start by looking 20-30 min away...north, west, and south... from that region. In general with a handful of exceptions the further you get from the loops your options increase and costs come down.

Not sure what the membership looks like for MA rifle but I am member there. It's OK and very close. Woburn Sportsmans Association in Bedford is also a decent club. Both have 100 and 200 yard ranges and both have lots of fudd rules. Pelham Fish and Game is a great club but I don't go there as often as it's a 45 minute drive for me instead of 10 mins to MA rifle or WSA. If you select a club I am sure there are plenty of members here that will be a member and could probably sponsor you.

Cape Ann Sportsmans club in Gloucester. Sundays 9am to 12pm is open to the public. Well the outdoor range and the trap field are.

Cape Ann

Honestly, if you were in Burlington, I would just pull the trigger on Harvard or Pelham. Both are great ranges, and from what I understand less drama. Harvard is only a 30min drive for you. I was at Mass Rifle for a while. only ever shot on the indoor range and outdoor pistol. I was mainly shooting pistols at the time, so didn't need the longer ranges. It's ok. I wouldn't steer you away from it. I can't remember, how I became a member. I don't remember having any sponsors.

Last edited:
I’ve heard great things about Harvard and a friend of mine joined recently, but I haven’t had a chance to go with him yet. I know they require sponsorship and my friend can’t sponsor me just yet because he’s too new, but I am hoping for next year.

Definitely going to check Cape Ann tomorrow and will take advantage of the fact that is open to the public and will also inquire about membership if I like it. Thank you once again!

Cape Ann Sportsmans club in Gloucester. Sundays 9am to 12pm is open to the public. Well the outdoor range and the trap field are.

Cape Ann

I’ve heard great things about Harvard and a friend of mine joined recently, but I haven’t had a chance to go with him yet. I know they require sponsorship and my friend can’t sponsor me just yet because he’s too new, but I am hoping for next year.

Definitely going to check Cape Ann tomorrow and will take advantage of the fact that is open to the public and will also inquire about membership if I like it. Thank you once again!

If you end up not being able to go tomorrow. Let me know, I'm a member there and can take you if you like.

If you end up not being able to go tomorrow. Let me know, I'm a member there and can take you if you like.
I appreciate that very much, thank you for the kind offer.

If I end up joining and become a member what are the rules about bringing a friend without a LTC - is that allowed as long as they are under supervision?

Yep. I’m a member at Cape Ann. Decent club. Nothing like Harvard but it’s only 5 min from my house so I can’t complain too much

Didn’t know you were a member at CASC. I’m usually there on saturdays if I don’t have a IDPA/USPSA match. Had the whole place to myself this afternoon.

If I end up joining and become a member what are the rules about bringing a friend without a LTC - is that allowed as long as they are under supervision?
Yea but they need to pay $10 and fill out a waiver form. The slot for the waiver and money is at the outdoor range.

Though I don’t think many members follow it. If no one is around I doubt they pay 😂

Most private clubs.. You can bring a guest without a LTC and they shoot under yours.

Andrew summed it up well. The friend shoots under your license, so ultimately you're responsible for your friend.

Didn’t know you were a member at CASC. I’m usually there on saturdays if I don’t have a IDPA/USPSA match. Had the whole place to myself this afternoon.
Been a member there for a few years. It's only been this past year, that I've been much more active. I'm usually there at 9 am, lately, I've been getting there around 7 am, as I've been doing yard work to help keep the ranges clean.

Yea but they need to pay $10 and fill out a waiver form. The slot for the waiver and money is at the outdoor range.

Though I don’t think many members follow it. If no one is around I doubt they pay 😂
Oh come on, I didn't know my brother hasn't been needing to pay. haha. Yea I imagine that there are many that don't pay the $10 range fee. I see many members that don't even sign in. I don't completely understand the need for signing in, but hey them the rules. So I tend to go along.

Been a member there for a few years. It's only been this past year, that I've been much more active. I'm usually there at 9 am, lately, I've been getting there around 7 am, as I've been doing yard work to help keep the ranges clean.

Oh come on, I didn't know my brother hasn't been needing to pay. haha. Yea I imagine that there are many that don't pay the $10 range fee. I see many members that don't even sign in. I don't completely understand the need for signing in, but hey them the rules. So I tend to go along.
If there has been damage to club property or other such bullshitery the sign in roster let's the club managers see who used the ranges at certain times. Can't always pin down the culprit that way but it's a start.

From my time on the board.......generally....the ones not signing in like they are supposed to......tend to be the ones taking part in said bullshitery.

How does LSA compare to North Leominster R&G? Just became a member at North Leo and I like the pistol/rifle ranges so far.
No idea, sorry. Was just posting info I’ve found on non-member access.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom