• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Outdoor places to shoot in NH?

You're in NH. You need a .22 pistol or rifle with a can and Gemtech suppressor ammo and plink away where it's legal to do so and you won't draw any attention. Jack.

This times a million.

I live in RI, which is a NFA ban state. I've shot with multiple NH friends who own cans. Suppressors are beautiful things and every gun owner who can legally own one should own and use one when appropriate, which for most people, is quite a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I scratch my head about surpressed .22 rifles, lots of cost, effort, and applicable regulations to make a rifle that is barely louder than a pellet gun even quieter..

But a simpler option in real calibers is ear protection :)..

If you already own NFA, need a special permit where you are from, have a government clearance, are an FFL etc etc, then submitting applications for NFA and having that liability probably seems like no big difference, but the typical NH gun owner doesn't even have a pistol permit anymore. I think NFA stuff is great but like many others I find it no where near worth the hassle/liability.

Hey all,

Moved up to NH from MA. But as it turns out, Nashua is basically MA lite. This house was an investment so NBD, we'll buy a house farther north later.

BUT ANYWAYS.

In the meantime, are there any outdoor places to shoot that I'm not likely to get cops called on me? I'll drive a ways if need be.

Welcome fellow refugee!

I scratch my head about surpressed .22 rifles, lots of cost, effort, and applicable regulations to make a rifle that is barely louder than a pellet gun even quieter..

But a simpler option in real calibers is ear protection :)..

If you already own NFA, need a special permit where you are from, have a government clearance, are an FFL etc etc, then submitting applications for NFA and having that liability probably seems like no big difference, but the typical NH gun owner doesn't even have a pistol permit anymore. I think NFA stuff is great but like many others I find it no where near worth the hassle/liability.
Well, when you start shooting suppressed, you won't go back to women. Jack.

My OSS HX-QD 762 can is due to be freed soon - I might get my 300AAC Tavor X-95 out with some subsonic and see how it sounds down the street under poll line on my 50yd 22lr suppressed rifle range. The rifle was pretty quiet with a Silencerco Omega 300 but sorted up something terrible Wit the back-blast. The OSS can throw s gas forwards so is much cleaner but a bit louder. “Hearing safe” with subsonic 300AAC.

My OSS HX-QD 762 can is due to be freed soon - I might get my 300AAC Tavor X-95 out with some subsonic and see how it sounds down the street under poll line on my 50yd 22lr suppressed rifle range. The rifle was pretty quiet with a Silencerco Omega 300 but sorted up something terrible Wit the back-blast. The OSS can throw s gas forwards so is much cleaner but a bit louder. “Hearing safe” with subsonic 300AAC.

I've been watching a lot on the OSS Helix on AKOU. Rob loves that can on all kinds of CommBloc guns like AKs, SKSs, M91s, PSLs, etc. 7.62x39 subs are like 47¢ to 60¢ per round.

They must be really quiet then. I havent heard gunfire from that direction in quite a while.
Very quiet I have been twice in the last 10 days. It’s actually nice having the home place to yourself. Hit an action bay for a bit then went over and hit the 200 meter.

Outside of that area ( legally defined town center), the town has no say - 300+ ft from a house or with owners permission, not across a road or within 15 feet (love that they needed to specify that part :) ), not trespassing, good to go.

OK, let me get this straight. I’m a little dumb.

1. Move to NH
2. Delete all memory of living in Mass
3. Drive in woods till I find a clearish spot
4. Walk 15 feet off the road (seriously?)
5. Shoot away from the road
6. Wonder why I didn’t do this before

Is this about it? I’m moving into the north country, so it should be pretty easy to find a forest road to travel and find a spot.

1. Move to NH

Is this about it? I’m moving into the north country, so it should be pretty easy to find a forest road to travel and find a spot.
A lot of people shoot at the power lines in Derry and auburn area.

I don’t think it’s as simple as just going where you want and setting up targets. It’s probably a dick move to shoot on land you don’t own without asking the landowner.

1. Move to NH

And clean up your shit when you are done :)

I don’t think it’s as simple as just going where you want and setting up targets. It’s probably a dick move to shoot on land you don’t own without asking the landowner.

Depends where, in an area way far away from any houses I think no need and it may not even be helpful. Personally if I was such a landowner I might allow activity to go on, ie shooting, hunting, ATVs etc.. but wouldn't necessarily want to condone it for liability reasons, ie one thing if some people are shooting out in some corner of your 20 acres and its another thing if you said it was ok.

1. Move to NH

Generally speaking, don't do that. That might get you labeled as "some M*sshole who ruined it for everyone else."

What you ideally want is an area with a very safe backstop, like the cut-out or eroded side of the hill. Shooting into a field is ok if you know what's beyond the field. What's an easier and more social (and thus enjoyable) activity is to make friends in the area and get invited to go shooting with the locals. Know who owns the property and the adjacent properties. Look for signs of previous shooters.

Last edited by a moderator:
B29A4AB4-05F0-4924-A953-EDE12BE3A0FC.png Ok this is a piece of land behind my property everyone shoots and rides dirt bikes and 4 wheelers there no problem everyone gets along and everyone is smart if there are people riding you don’t shoot and there is a pit to shoot into so no issues in my opinion these are the best places to shoot it’s everyone’s land I only own 2 and a half acres everyone uses each others land for at. Purposes getting on and off trails

And again that’s for the neighborhood and all the people that own land around this patch of land it’s quiet big for all to enjoy whatever outdoor activity you want just be safe and use common sense and clean up your brass

A rake and snow shovel, or covering the ejection area in plastic drop cloth, are two ways of cleaning up shells.

Back
Top Bottom