Out of state

Can I do FTF sale from RI res. to me a MA res (I have LTC-A) if the handgun NOT MA compliance. What is the law and where can I find it. My friend told me I can buy a non MASS compliant handgun from non MA resident, and just fill the FA-10 form under 10-days. [rolleyes] All info is appreciated. Thanks

Everyone who knows the exact law will know better, but NO it's federal law I believe that no face to face sales of any kind can be done with residents of separate states. In fact you can't even buy a handgun from a RI dealer with our it being shipped to a mass dealer and doing the transfer, and I'd the gun is not mass compliant the mass dealer can not transfer it to you.

Thanks, Yes I kind of know that, but my friend keeps telling me it can be done, and I'm looking for the specific law, so I can show it to him before anyone commits a Federal crime.[grin]

A hand gun needs to ENTER the state though an FFL, like jmh said, its federal law. So NO. I believe its part of the gun control act of 1968. And because it is not mass compliant an FFL wont/shouldn't sell it to you. You will have to find the gun you want that is already in the state. Then a FTF will be ok.

...I'm looking for the specific law...

18 USC 922(a)(3) and (a)(5)...

(a) It shall be unlawful -

(3) for any person ... to transport into or receive in the State where he resides ... any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State...

>snip<

(5) for any person ... to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person ... who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in ... the State in which the transferor resides...

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/922

Back
Top Bottom