• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of state travel

Question I am hoping to get some insight on from those in CT or who frequently travel to CT with firearms.

Is it legal for me to transport a “non high capacity” long gun that ISNT an “assault weapon” to CT if I am ot a resident?

I am legal in MA and traveling to CT for a weekend to meet up with some friends who live in state. I was hoping to bringone of my rifles with me in case we plan to go shooting, but want to be sure I can do so legally? I don’t have any kind of CT license and all I can find online is info about transporting handguns through the state.

I know it must be unloaded and locked in my trunk, and it can’t be “high capacity” or an “assault weapon” but am I inthe clear to transport this rifle in to CT from out of state, shoot it there with friends who ARE licensed in CT, and transport it back to MA?

Thanks in advance!

ipscdri - is 100% absolutely wrong.

Having stated that your long guns are not AWs under CT law, you are absolutely positively 100% legal in anything you plan to do. (the only real restriction is you can not have a loaded long gun in a car - see link below)

In fact, CT has absolutely no restrictions on what nonresidents or unlicensed residents can do with their long guns. As long as they are not AWs under CT law.

If a CT resident with a State of Ct pistol permit can do it, so can you. (other than actually buying a long gun)

Lets go over some of the things you can do.

1) carry said gun in your car. Any way you want, actually. As long as its unloaded. You can carry your (non AW) rifle across your lap with a loaded (ct legal) mag in your hand. Unless you put that mag in the rifle, you are 100% legal.

2) hunt, target shoot, carry it on the side of the road, whatever. There are no restrictions on ANYONE who is not a prohibited person in what they can do with a long gun without a license. A license like a pistol permit gets you nothing as far as long guns are concerned. Other than the ability to buy one.

I can't point you to any law saying "you can do this" because that's not how laws work. They take rights they don't grant them. So its the absence of any law that restricts your activity with a long gun that "allows" you to do this.

Here the one relevant statute.

Last edited:
Not legally.

I've grown to really despise this kind of stupid answer.

Not because its wrong. We are all wrong sometimes.

But because its useless and lazy. It provides no logical description of why its "illegal". It provides no citations of statute or case law. Nothing. Just a cynical unsupported, incorrect opinion.

Its just this kind of uninformed opinion that discourages people from exercising their rights within the law.

***EDIT - I just noticed the that ipscdri is an attorney and an officer at Hopkinton Sportsmen. I'd expect more from him based on that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom