• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of state transfer from private person, long gun

slap shot

NES Member
Just won a GB auction but failed to notice that it was from a private person, not FFL. It's a vintage 22 semi with a tube mag so nothing remotely hard to transfer. I've reached out to one FFL but until I hear back just wondering if anyone has done this or if there's going to be a problem. Worst case do you have to ask the seller to bring to an FFL locally and pay to have that FFL ship to yours?

Thanks

some FFL wont accept from individuals...some will. depends on the dealer. Typically the dealer will want to see a state ID or LTC from the seller.

Yes, thats a common practice have him take it to his local FFL and have them agree to ship it up and send it. Cost will vary greatly depending on shops... just like the transfer fees some charge $20 and I have seen up to $50.

I have done this and never had an issue. Just have the guy include a photocopy of his drivers license with the rifle. Have done this at FS and other places without question.

An individual(non licensee) can ship to an FFL(a licensee) no problem. The receiving FFL will then transfer to you.

How far away is the seller? Can you meet the seller at an FFL in his state where you are legally allowed to take possession?

Do the transfer there and bring it home.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it shouldn't be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

How far away is the seller? Can you meet the seller at an FFL in his state where you are legally allowed to take possession?

too far, Michigan

All handguns (if crossing state lines) need to be taken possession of by the buyer from an FFL in the buyer's home state. In this scenario, the seller would need to travel to an FFL where the buyer lives to do the transfer.

worst case scenario if you cant find MA FFL who'll accept a gun from a private party just have the seller ship the gun through his FFL to your FFL. But in this case most likely the seller will ask you to pay for his FFL too. So another $25-40 expense not a big deal

I just did this. Relative in Florida sent 2 shotguns, broken down, in hard case, from his local FFL, and had sent (UPS ground) to FFL here (Hunters in Weymouth). I picked them up yesterday. In and out in no time. Smooth and easy transaction.

I just did this. Relative in Florida sent 2 shotguns, broken down, in hard case, from his local FFL, and had sent (UPS ground) to FFL here (Hunters in Weymouth). I picked them up yesterday. In and out in no time. Smooth and easy transaction.

That's i'm trying to avoid, FFL on the senders end. I think i got it though. Thanks again all.

- - - Updated - - -

All handguns (if crossing state lines) need to be taken possession of by the buyer from an FFL in the buyer's home state. In this scenario, the seller would need to travel to an FFL where the buyer lives to do the transfer.

this is a rifle so doesn't apply

After you factor in shipping, it can be cheaper for the sender to use an FFL on his end as well, especially when it comes to handguns. Dealers can use shipping methods that the shipping companies won't allow non-FFLs to use.

From what I gather if you are in Florida for example and purchase a LONG GUN from a private party, you can pack it up, check it as baggage following TSA rules and then once in Mass you can register it under your name. Correct? If you take possession from a private party where is the need for an FFL if you just fly with it home to Mass or NH or ??

From what I gather if you are in Florida for example and purchase a LONG GUN from a private party, you can pack it up, check it as baggage following TSA rules and then once in Mass you can register it under your name. Correct? If you take possession from a private party where is the need for an FFL if you just fly with it home to Mass or NH or ??
And you could earn an all expense paid vacation in Club Fed for doing that.

Uhhh... No. Transfer must go through an FFL, as you are not a resident of Florida. You can transfer it through a Florida FFL and then fly it home.

You cannot do a private sale with a resident of another state. It MUST go through an FFL--this is federal law.

Holy shit! What gun owner is unaware of the fact interstate transfer of a firearm requires an FFL? It's only been that way since...1968.

If it's a long gun, you could conceivably fly to Florida, meet the private seller, proceed with him to an accommodating Florida FFL, fill out a Form 4473, transfer the gun IAW all applicable local, state, and federal laws (of both MA and FL), and then proceed to "check it as baggage following TSA rules and then once in Mass you can register it under your name." But, that seems time-consuming and expensive, but that's just me.

And you could earn an all expense paid vacation in Club Fed for doing that.
Listen to Len-2A here who always responds with simplicity and class vs. some who want to respond to make you feel like crap so as to empower themselves as all knowing - missing an opportunity to teach to others what at one point in life they did not know either.
We all live and learn - part of what this board is here for - mostly learning.

Only if you did the transfer at an FFL in Florida first.

Private sales over state lines requires there to be a background check at an FFL even for a long gun. The big difference you may be confused on is with a long gun......if you are legal to possess the long gun in the state you are purchasing it in and the state you live in you can walk away with the gun as long as there is an ffl transfer done. With a handgun......you can't walk out with the gun it needs to be shipped to your home state FFL and you can pick it up there.

bottom line.....if the buyer and seller are from two different states even with a long gun.....must have an FFL transfer involved.

Last edited:
Listen to Len-2A here who always responds with simplicity and class vs. some who want to respond to make you feel like crap so as to empower themselves as all knowing - missing an opportunity to teach to others what at one point in life they did not know either.
We all live and learn - part of what this board is here for - mostly learning.

Which is why I had question marks. I've never bought a gun out of state so it was a question. I always takes Lens answers seriously. The others who act like jackasses I just ignore. I will say that I've seen people buying shotguns at stores in NH who were from Mass so how is that possible? Is it different because they are FFLs?

Which is why I had question marks. I've never bought a gun out of state so it was a question. I always takes Lens answers seriously. The others who act like jackasses I just ignore. I will say that I've seen people buying shotguns at stores in NH who were from Mass so how is that possible? Is it different because they are FFLs?

yes, you can buy a long gun, not AW, at a NH or Maine FFL and just do an efa10 when you get home.

Personally I've purchased one shotgun and one rifle from the old MFL, plus an SAR-1 (AK-47) from an FFL in Weare, NH at various times over some past years, just did the 4473/NICS thru the FFLs and filed FA-10s when I brought them into MA (back in the paper form days). No big deal and perfectly legal by NH and US laws . . . you just can't do this FTF between residents of different states.

Only if you did the transfer at an FFL in Florida first.

Private sales over state lines requires there to be a background check at an FFL even for a long gun. The big difference you may be confused on is with a long gun......if you are legal to possess the long gun in the state you are purchasing it in and the state you live in you can walk away with the gun as long as there is an ffl transfer done. With a handgun......you can't walk out with the gun it needs to be shipped to your home state FFL and you can pick it up there.

bottom line.....if the buyer and seller are from two different states even with a long gun.....must have an FFL transfer involved.
Yes. If it's an ffl sale it's totally legal to buy a long gun in another state and cash and carry.....as long as you are legal to posess that long gun in the state the shop is in and the state you reside in. I've purchased the majority of my long guns in Maine and New Hampshire.

Back
Top Bottom