• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of state son wants to give his father one of his rifles

A friend of mine who lives in MA (and has an LTC) asked me to research this.

His son lives in FL and want to give him an AR-15.

- Can his son mail him the gun?
- Does he have to go through a FFL to transfer?
- Can he just give his father the gun and still own it.

Thanks

Last edited:
He needs to transfer it via an FFL and it will need to be a Mass compliant rifle.
So to answer you questions:
-No
-Yes
-No

He should start by finding an FFL here willing to do the transfer and then his son would find an FFL in Florida willing to ship it up. There are usually fees on both end. Nothing crazy, but something to be aware of.

See above.

If he wants to dispose of the gun, that is the legal way to do it.

If on the other hand, he merely wants to gift his Father an AR-15, the easiest way to do that is for the Son to buy a gift certificate equal in value to the gun at the gun shop that the Father does business with and let him procure it up here.

After paying 2 transfer fees, shipping and gunsmith fees to neuter the gun to meet MA compliance, the total cost will be considerable.

How about if he just wanted to lend him a MA compliant rifle. What then?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner instead of Tapatalk.

Question for the experts, could the son ship the father the upper, stock, and magazines and then transfer the lower through an FFL, thus all paperwork is completed legally and there is no question of mass compliant parts that may or may not be on the other parts of the gun?

Question for the experts, could the son ship the father the upper, stock, and magazines and then transfer the lower through an FFL, thus all paperwork is completed legally and there is no question of mass compliant parts that may or may not be on the other parts of the gun?

Yes. As long as the magazines are preban/not high cap.

Although with how cheap you can get a lower, it would seem to be easier for the dad to just buy one himself...

Yes, but it will need to be made compliant anyhow so where is the savings?

Yes, but it will need to be made compliant anyhow so where is the savings?

I didn't see any mention of what type of AR, how non-compliant it was, nor whether the father was able to make it compliant himself, so its tough to actually argue savings. At the minimum, $25 transfer fee x2 plus a shipping fee gets him an AR for under $100 which is well worth it.

I also didn't see a reason for the transfer, does it have some sentimental value, is it a high end gun, did the son build his father a gun, or is it just a cheap PSA AR?

The savings would be in making it compliant himself or on his own schedule rather than doing it all at once in order to get it transfered in. Just figured I would offer one more option to answer the original question.

So here is the latest.

The AR-15 is compliant with the exception of a threaded barrel.

Can the son send to Massachusetts the upper and the father have the compensator pinned. Then the son arrange for a transfer and shipping of the receiver from FL FFL to MA FFL?

So here is the latest.

The AR-15 is compliant with the exception of a threaded barrel.

Can the son send to Massachusetts the upper and the father have the compensator pinned. Then the son arrange for a transfer and shipping of the receiver from FL FFL to MA FFL?

Yup. Most people buying complete uppers do this since not all vendors with pin them.

He should start by finding an FFL here willing to do the transfer and then his son would find an FFL in Florida willing to ship it up.

An FFL is only required on the receiving end, not the sending end. But, given the better rates that FFLs can get on shipping, he might be money ahead by finding a friendly local dealer who will take 10-20 bucks (plus actual costs) to ship it for him.

Back
Top Bottom