Out of state purchase questions - advice please

erics506

NES Member
I live in Mass. I found a shotgun I want to buy on Gunbroker.com. The seller is in UT. The seller is a private party and not an FFL.

The seller wants to send the gun to an FFL as he cannot send it directly to me as the buyer. The seller asked me to have the FFL I select send a copy of the FFL's license to the seller. All sounds reasonable so far.

I went to a local FFL who would be happy to conduct the receiving of the gun and transferring it into my name. However, the FFL wants the seller to take the gun to an FFL in UT so that the Mass. FFL can receive the gun from another FFL and not from the private owner directly. The Mass FFL want a copy of the FFL's license from UT and then will send his FFL copy to the UT FFL for mutual verification.

Question #1: Is this typical? Are there FFL's in Mass that would take the shipment of the shotgun directly from the seller and not request that it be sent from a UT FFL? If so can anyone please provide the name and number of such a Mass. FFL? I am in the Lowell, MA area.

Question #2: Can I, as a Mass resident, have a shotgun sent to an FFL in NH to complete the transaction? Would a NH FFL do such a transaction for a Mass. resident? If anyone knows a NH FFL that would do such a transaction and would accept shipment directly from my seller, please recommend to me.

Thanks in advance for the assistance and advice.

#1 - Yes, this is typical although not legally required. Yes, there are dealers who will take it directly but you'll have to ask around the dealers local to you (I'm not in your area, so no names to give you).

#2 - Yes, but many operate the same way. Same answer as above.

Beretta 682 Gold E, 34" top single and 32" O/U with less that 1,000 rounds through it. Also comes with a set of Briley premium chokes.

It is very sweet!

Beretta 682 Gold E, 34" top single and 32" O/U with less that 1,000 rounds through it. Also comes with a set of Briley premium chokes.

It is very sweet!

How much. ? Have you tried https://www.joeletchenguns.com/berettau.htm has some great stuff. You could drive up and have it fitted to boot.

As for your questions. Yes this seems to be standard now. FFL to FFL
It adds a lot of fees and such.
Hope it works out.

Last edited:
Find another FFL to receive your shotgun, the one you spoke to is obviously ignorant of the law.

I just made all the arrangements with Blue Northern Trading. Great to deal with.

So I appear to be all set. Thanks to all for your info and comments.

Back
Top Bottom