out of state purchase of handguns

HI ALL! I'M FROM MASS & HAVE AN UNRESTRICTED CLASS A LTC. I ALSO HAVE AN OUT OF STATE LTC IN N.H.MY QUESTION IS, CAN I BUY A HANDGUN IN N.H. AND BRING IT INTO MASS? THANKS.

First, don't get scared but it's probably time to put in flame retardant clothing since you didn't search. (Also, customary internet etiquette views using all CAPS as shouting so you likely want to refrain from doing that in the future as well)

Answer: No. You must purchase handguns from either an FFL in your home state or FTF (face-to-face) with another resident of your home state or have them transferred to an FFL in your home state that will then transfer them to you (assuming they are legally able to be transferred)

Last edited:
HI ALL! I'M FROM MASS & HAVE AN UNRESTRICTED CLASS A LTC. I ALSO HAVE AN OUT OF STATE LTC IN N.H.MY QUESTION IS, CAN I BUY A HANDGUN IN N.H. AND BRING IT INTO MASS? THANKS.

Short answer: No. Federal law prohibits private FTF handgun transactions across state lines.

Long answer: If you can legally purchase the firearm in MA (on the EOPS roster and approved by the AG's office) then you can purchase the gun in NH, have them ship it to an FFL in MA (need to find one willing to do the transfer for you) where you can pick it up after they run the necessary paperwork for you.

Suggestion: Stop using all caps. Do some more reading about the MA laws in the MA Laws section of this forum.

Welcome to the site.

Last edited:
Or... you can always rent or buy an apartment in NH, pay taxes in NH as well as in MA and have dual-residency, maybe and just maybe in that case you could.

Ish.

The answer to your question is "not unless the seller is dead". Use search to find out why this is not totally untrue.

You could also move to New Hampshire, buy the handguns you want, find a nice gal you could grow old with, marry her, raise a family, get a new job opportunity back in MA from a former employer you ran into, and move back (bringing your guns!). Hmm, you could probably skip some steps in there.

Isn't there something where the ATF does NOT recognize dual residency?

Not sure about it, but what I know for sure is that if I move to MA, but I still have a house in FL, pay taxes in FL as well as in MA, etc. I can buy and or bring all my weapons including high capacity mags to MA with no problem whatsoever. I was told so by the license department and the State Police when I called them and told them about my intentions of living in both States.

Ish.

Not sure about it, but what I know for sure is that if I move to MA, but I still have a house in FL, pay taxes in FL as well as in MA, etc. I can buy and or bring all my weapons including high capacity mags to MA with no problem whatsoever. I was told so by the license department and the State Police when I called them and told them about my intentions of living in both States.

Ish.
Ten years in the "pound me in the ass" state penitentiary for you

Ish.

You can not under any circumstances possess post-ban large-capacity mags in Mass. Residency doesn't matter, and what guns they work in do not matter.

If they are post ban, and hold >10 rounds, it's a felony for possession.

Ish.

Not true for post-ban assault weapons either!

Ten years in the "pound me in the ass" state penitentiary for you

Ouch!

Isn't there something where the ATF does NOT recognize dual residency?

The ATF does, but it's going to be hard to find a FFL dealer that does. They generally require "gold standard" sort of ID - a driver's license or perhaps a LTC with the address in which you are purchasing a gun. Bringing in a deed or lease and explaining you are a dual resident which is why you have an out of state driver's license is not likely to cut it. The ATF approach to dual residency is like the AGs approach to regulation compliance - no clear definition, and no official opinion that makes it perfectly clear that you do indeed qualify as a "dual resident".

Back
Top Bottom