• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of State Private Transfers

I have a friend that lives out of MA and is selling a couple of his handguns including a glock. This is a relatively new weapon so it's not MA compliant for dealer sales but I was looking on the GOAL website and noticed something:

http://goal.org/handgunsales.html

Can I Bypass the Regulations and Standards in the Law by Buying a Handguns From a Dealer in Another State?
By federal law, a dealer from another state may not sell you a handgun directly, he must ship the handgun to a dealer in your state, where the transfer takes place. This means the gun must still comply with the Attorney General’s standards, and the standards in the law.

Do These Standards Apply to Private Sales?
No, the standards of the law and of the Attorney General, apply only to retail sales by dealers, not to private sales between individuals.

I am interpreting this as I can privately purchase a handgun that is not on the AG's list. Am I wrong?

There are other ways to get guns not on the AG list. Like just find a dealer who doesn't care, or find a stripped frame somewhere.

Or move.

I am interpreting this as I can privately purchase a handgun that is not on the AG's list. Am I wrong?
Yes. In state is not a problem. Finding a dealer to do the transfer for an out of state private sale is tricky if the gun is not on the list.

While an argument can be made that a transfer is not a sale and thus not subject to the AGs limitations, you aren't going to get the AG to formally accept that definition without a court battle, and no dealers are going to stupid enough to take a chance.

Well, there was one dealer who was convinced the AG couldn't touch him. Last I heard, he copped a plea and entered the realm of prohibited person.

Go directly to federal prison. Do not pass go. Do not get $200.

It is illegal to purchase a gun from a resident of a different state (unless you have an FFL).

Back
Top Bottom