out of state private rifle transfers?

Ok I'm trading a guy in RI rifle for rifle how do we go about doing the transfer? Can I do a FA10 to myself with the rifle I get from him? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dennis

ooglassoo said:
Can I do a FA10 to myself with the rifle I get from him?
No. In short:
Use an FFL.
With a little more detail:

You cannot legally do an out of state transfer without an FFL being involved. Get ahold of a couple of FFLs and find out who will be willing to do the transfers (there are two, since two rifles will be changing owners). The FFL will probably require a small fee from each of you to perform the transfer.
Thats what I thought but do we have to use 2 ffl's one in MA and one in RI?
I don't think so, but I'm not positive, and you've got to call one anyway. Call and find out.

I don't think so, but you'd have to check. I think it's kosher to buy from an FFL in another state, so long as your state doesn't disallow it (some states don't allow purchases in non-contiguous states). RI is contiguous to MA and MA doesn't have any kind of restriction on out of state purchases, not counting the registration requirement.

You can do both transfers at a RI FFL. RI laws are in play so you'll need to check (I have no idea but JD will be here shortly with his crackberry report [laugh] ) to see if they have a "waiting period" or any other weird requirements.

MGLs make it illegal for any non-MA person to purchase/obtain any firearms/ammo in MA, so that is definitely out of the picture.

Fed Law requires an FFL involved in ANY interstate transfers (other than inheritance from dead people).

So would I use a MA FFL or a RI FFL? By the way, thank you guys for your input I really appreciate it.

I don't think so, but you'd have to check. I think it's kosher to buy from an FFL in another state, so long as your state doesn't disallow it (some states don't allow purchases in non-contiguous states). RI is contiguous to MA and MA doesn't have any kind of restriction on out of state purchases, not counting the registration requirement.

You can do both transfers at a RI FFL. RI laws are in play so you'll need to check (I have no idea but JD will be here shortly with his crackberry report [laugh] ) to see if they have a "waiting period" or any other weird requirements.

Yes, RI has a 7 day waiting period for anybody without a RI permit to carry. So you're better off doing one transfer in RI (for the RI buyer, and hopefully the RI buyer has their carry permit) and one in MA (for the MA buyer).

(And Len, I dumped the crackberry... it's an iPhone now [wink])

Yes, RI has a 7 day waiting period for anybody without a RI permit to carry. So you're better off doing one transfer in RI (for the RI buyer, and hopefully the RI buyer has their carry permit) and one in MA (for the MA buyer).

(And Len, I dumped the crackberry... it's an iPhone now [wink])

I suspected that they had a waiting period, but had never checked into it. I know that CT has a waiting period for non-CT permit holders.

Jim will be erecting a shrine in your honor for converting to the iPhone. [wink] [rofl]

Ok I just talked to a RI ffl and he sais we need a ffl from both states.

Go to AFS in N. Attleboro for the MA transfer, they will take care of that side of it for you.

Back
Top Bottom