Out of state Maine permit: how long?!?

There is no reason I would be denied. I have my MA LTC and my non resident NH. I was just curious if other neighboring state tend to deny non resident licenses, or if the are generally just issued as long as you have a license in your resident state.

ME is shall issue.

The only New England state that carries a risk of denial for people with 100% clean records is Rhode Island.

It also bears mentioning that Vermont is a freebie- no permit required for CCW.

-Mike

Good rule of thumb when traveling anywhere....know the laws of where you are...they trump every time. Pleading ignorance and begging for mercy doesn't work.

Which is slightly ironic considering where the phrase "general rule of thumb" originates from.

I would never 'play ignorant' and 'beg for mercy', that's why I asked. I plan on sending out my Maine permit this week, so I will call them and ask them how they handle Massachusetts restricted permits. Hopefully like NH, they say it doesn't matter.

ME is shall issue.

The only New England state that carries a risk of denial for people with 100% clean records is Rhode Island.

It also bears mentioning that Vermont is a freebie- no permit required for CCW.

-Mike

Which is ironic considering according to RI Law, RI is "shall issue" when you apply at a town/city police department. It is only "may issue" when you apply at the Attorney General office.

Check your application thoroughly before sending. Mine was rejected because my MSP Certificate was over 5 years old. I had to re-take the class. Second submission took about 5-6 weeks. Should you need to call the Maine office, they are very nice on the phone.

I recall mine was mailed the last day their process allowed. I did call and the women was polite and helpful, but it did not speed up my process.

Just keep in mind, every time you call the office, the person you speak to is one of the ones doing the applications. If they are on the phone all the time, this just slows down the process. Just saying.

We (hubby and I) sent in our apps in late February and I know they got them in a timely manner becuase they called to clarify a line on my app. The checks just got cashed 2 weeks ago. Still got nothing.

How is Maine with Massachusetts restricted permits? because when I travel to Michigan to visit my friend every summer, they abide by the same laws as MA. So, they will and do honor my MA permit, but they tell you right there, "if it is restricted same laws apply here as in your home state."

That sounds like a crock of shit. I've looked into Michigan's concealed carry laws closely since it's my neighbor to the north and I travel there frequently.

I've never, ever seen anything that suggests you will be held to your home state's law.

We (hubby and I) sent in our apps in late February and I know they got them in a timely manner becuase they called to clarify a line on my app. The checks just got cashed 2 weeks ago. Still got nothing.

Wow, my ear must have been ringing - we got our Maine permits yesterday and they were dated for the 8th of the month.

Update:

Mailed mine ou:t 3-2-12
Check Cleared: 4-11-12

Tomorrow it will have been eleven weeks since I sent it out and I am still waiting.

I have a friend who has his MA LTC A and NH non res LTC. He had his MA LTC suspended about 2 years ago due to a domestic dispute and it was eventually given back to him from the LEO that suspended it. Nothing more than an ex-wife being a P.I.T.A.! He now wants to apply for a Maine non res LTC and isn't sure if he should provide this information on the following question from the Maine non res application:

"LIST OF PREVIOUS REVOCATIONS OR SUSPENSIONS OF FIREARMS PERMITS OR PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALED FIREARMS OR OTHER CONCEALED WEAPONS BY ANY ISSUING AUTHORITY IN MAINE OR
IN ANY OTHER JURISDICTION. For each revocation, please identify the agency or authority that revoked the permit and the date it was revoked or suspended."

I appreciate your feedback!

The answer is in plain language of the question . . .

Based on what you stated, it was suspended. The fact that it was later returned does not change the fact that it was suspended. A full explanation will be required for each and every license application (new or renewal).

Thanks for the input LenS. He said he has documentation, a letter from the LEO about the the suspension, not sure about documentation on the return. Should he also include that in his app?

The answer is in plain language of the question . . .

Based on what you stated, it was suspended. The fact that it was later returned does not change the fact that it was suspended. A full explanation will be required for each and every license application (new or renewal).

Mine took 3 months for a renewal. I believe that Maine requires that you have live fire training, such as an NRA basic pistol course. Having a Mass LTC by itself does not meet their training requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine took 3 months for a renewal. I believe that Maine requires that you have live fire training, such as an NRA basic pistol course. Having a Mass LTC by itself does not meet their training requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

At last check, don't most Mass LTC's requrie Basic Pistol? Sort of redundant, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom