• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of state Maine permit: how long?!?

Mailed mine out March 17th. Check cashed the following week. Still waiting...

Sent mine in the first week of March.... check cashed two weeks later.... still waiting as well.

UPDATE:

Spoke with ME State Police today.

Sent mine in on 4/26/11. I was told that they have a very large backlog of applications and they didn't start working on mine until 5/18/11. The lady who processes the permits is going to be out all of next week and thus they don't expect to process any applications next week. From what I've been told, I can expect mine to take ~3 more weeks before I see it.

UPDATE:

Spoke with ME State Police today.

Sent mine in on 4/26/11. I was told that they have a very large backlog of applications and they didn't start working on mine until 5/18/11. The lady who processes the permits is going to be out all of next week and thus they don't expect to process any applications next week. From what I've been told, I can expect mine to take ~3 more weeks before I see it.

Sounds just like MA - laws may exist, but the state is free to ignore them with no fear of penalty:

From the ME permit book http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Weapons/CFP Booklet.pdf

25 M.R.S.A. § 2003. Permits to carry concealed firearms
12. Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days. The issuing authority, as defined in this chapter, shall issue or deny, and reply in writing as to the reason for any denial, within 30 days of the application date in the case of a resident of 5 or more years and within 60 days of the application date in the case of a nonresident or in the case of a resident of less than 5 years. If the issuing authority does not issue or deny a request for a permit renewal within the time limits specified in this subsection, the validity of the expired permit is extended until the issuing authority issues or denies the renewal.

[sad2] I'm heading up the 31st. I'll keep my fingers crossed [thinking] That'll be 9 weeks. (I know, it'll show up the week after)

I'd give them a call on Monday and ask for status.

You might have to make a side-trip to Augusta to pick it up. [sad]

I just returned from Vaca in ME and NH. I sent my ME app in "in plenty of time" . . . 3 months before I was heading up there. I called a week before July 4th for a status check and was told that my app was approved (all BG checks clear) in mid-June but they were backed up. I explained the situation and was told that the one person who handles NR apps was going to be on vacation the week of July 4th and to call back on July 12th. I was told that it would probably be mailed by the end of the week and they offered to mail it to the hotel I was staying at. No Mail, so I called the next morning and was told that they hadn't gotten to it yet, but if I wanted to drive to Augusta (ME SP/Dept of Public Safety HQ) that I could pick it up that day if I gave them 2-3 hours. I was a bit perturbed but made the trek up there and picked it up at the front counter. The side trip to LL Bean (had to see for myself - NOT worth the trip) and Cabela's made the day not a total waste.

So good luck and expect a side-trip to Augusta if you want to carry in ME this year. [thinking]

Wow, three months wasn't enough, ay? FYI, I did call Monday. The woman I spoke with was quite polite and helpful.

She looked up my file, said it was going out Friday. (yup, I called it!) I gave her my tale of woe - not sure they can get it out a day or two earlier but will try (seemed sincere). That's really all I can ask for. Won't have time for a side trip to Augusta.

I have a few more trips planned up there for the year, so missing out for this one isn't the end of the world - just would have been nice since I've gotten NH in place.

That's really all I can ask for.

Actually, you could ask that they devote sufficient resources to comply with the 60 day time limit established by Maine law.

But, I doubt asking them to obey the law will be effective.

My advice (bigiron) would be to call them. They are very nice on the phone, but only one lady processes all NR permits and if she is out sick, vacation, etc. they just pile up.

They should give you some idea when you might see it, but take that number with a grain of salt. Mine took ~3 weeks longer than they said and only because I drove up to Augusta to pick it up.

I have been meaning to send in an app for Maine. Do they often deny non resident licenses?

WHY would they deny you??

If your record is clean, you will get the permit. It just takes time . . . lots of it (in spite of what ME law says)!

Only a handful of states allow issuing authorities to deny a permit based on which side of the bed they got up that day. MA is one of those, whereas civilized states do NOT do this (nor do their laws allow for it).

WHY would they deny you??

There is no reason I would be denied. I have my MA LTC and my non resident NH. I was just curious if other neighboring state tend to deny non resident licenses, or if the are generally just issued as long as you have a license in your resident state.

ME won't deny you. Only state around that I know of that routinely deny people for no reason is RI.

All the other New England states will issue a permit if requested and have a clean record.

ME won't deny you. Only state around that I know of that routinely deny people for no reason is RI.

All the other New England states will issue a permit if requested and have a clean record.

How is Maine with Massachusetts restricted permits? because when I travel to Michigan to visit my friend every summer, they abide by the same laws as MA. So, they will and do honor my MA permit, but they tell you right there, "if it is restricted same laws apply here as in your home state."

I know NH it doesn't matter. I have my non-res in NH so I can carry anywhere. Is Maine the same way? Or is it like Michigan? We travel and vacation to Maine every summer so having the non-res would be awesome, but if they have some weird laws like MI, I wouldn't even bother.

My ME permit does NOT have any place to put a restriction on it. It is titled "Non-Resident Permit to Carry Concealed Firearms" so any other purpose/restriction would make it a waste of plastic.

I suggest reading the ME laws, there is a booklet online that provides all/most of the info on what is/isn't allowed, etc.

I suspect it is a non-issue but since I've never had a restricted permit, it isn't anything I've actually checked into for any state.

How is Maine with Massachusetts restricted permits? because when I travel to Michigan to visit my friend every summer, they abide by the same laws as MA. So, they will and do honor my MA permit, but they tell you right there, "if it is restricted same laws apply here as in your home state."

I know NH it doesn't matter. I have my non-res in NH so I can carry anywhere. Is Maine the same way? Or is it like Michigan? We travel and vacation to Maine every summer so having the non-res would be awesome, but if they have some weird laws like MI, I wouldn't even bother.

Good rule of thumb when traveling anywhere....know the laws of where you are...they trump every time. Pleading ignorance and begging for mercy doesn't work.

Which is slightly ironic considering where the phrase "general rule of thumb" originates from.

Back
Top Bottom