OUT OF STATE GUNS

My pointing out that it's a NON-resident license (even though LenS points out that there's no "Non-resident" FL license), it seems that the OP does not consider himself a resident. That's why I posted at the start of the thread as I did.

If the OP said, "I have a house in FL. as well as Mass...." then I likely would not have thrown my keyboard in the ring as the "dual residency" situation is not one that I'm conversant with; but a post that seems to contradict the basics for dual residency is another matter.

I'm pretty up on Mass laws - Florida is terra incongnita to me.

As LenS pointed out, the only difference between a FL resident and non-resident CCW license is the address they have on file. FL doesn't care where you live, just that you meet their statutory requirements for issuance. But it would behoove the OP to file a change of address with FL for his CCW license.

There is a procedural difference with respect to renewals too. Out of state residents are required to include a fingerprint card and an additional $42 background check fee as well.

There is a procedural difference with respect to renewals too. Out of state residents are required to include a fingerprint card and an additional $42 background check fee as well.

If we are in FL, we can go to some locations and have the prints done electronically. Unsure if that changes the charges or not.

If we are in FL, we can go to some locations and have the prints done electronically. Unsure if that changes the charges or not.

The renewal notice that I recently received does not suggest that the $42 fee can be waived, but since I need to get in touch with the Tallahassee anyways I will be glad to ask about that.

This right here.

Only if you are in fact living on that land at the time you go to the NH FFL to get a handgun.

Yes, with the staying there part being key. Cheap RV and not residing there you have violated unconstitutional regulations that can put you in prison anyways.

The whole "can only buy a handgun in your home state" garbage is facially unconstitutional and quite honestly, stupid and pointless. It serves no valid function. Constitution aside, what is the logic behind it?

I think it was some poorly thought out BS to prevent people from circumventing looney bin checks in their home states whike buying a handgun.

-Mike

I think it was some poorly thought out BS to prevent people from circumventing looney bin checks in their home states whike buying a handgun.

-Mike

Initially, the federal prohibition was on buying any firearm outside of one's home state. In 1971, President Nixon signed legislation allowing acquisition of rifles and shotguns outside of one's home state as a way to ameliorate hunters and collectors. Part of the logic of exempting rifles and shotguns but not other firearms was that nationally there by and large there was (1) less state and local regulation of long gun transactions than an individual may be attempting to circumvent (many places required permits to purchase handguns but not long guns) and (2) long guns were less likely to be criminal weapons (this is an area when inexpensive, concealable handguns were the scourge of many communities). Permissible interstate transactions are still required to adhere to the laws of both states.

Last edited:

-Mike

Initially, the federal prohibition was on buying any firearm outside of one's home state. In 1971, President Nixon signed legislation allowing acquisition of rifles and shotguns outside of one's home state as a way to ameliorate hunters and collectors. Part of the logic of exempting rifles and shotguns but not other firearms was that nationally there by and large there was (1) less state and local regulation of long gun transactions than an individual may be attempting to circumvent (many places required permits to purchase handguns but not long guns) and (2) long guns were less likely to be criminal weapons (this is an area when inexpensive, concealable handguns were the scourge of many communities). Permissible interstate transactions are still required to adhere to the laws of both states.

Essentially, with the passing of the Brady garbage, the out-of-state handgun sale restriction lost its original motivation. This is why there is (was?) a lawsuit filed by a gun store in Texas and purchasers from DC to get rid of the restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom