• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of state FFL privileges in Massachusetts?

Hey guys, I tried researching this and got conflicting answers, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

What are the rules/restrictions for an out of state FFL possessing/transporting guns in Massachusetts?

I have a family member (brother-in-law) who is a gunsmith in Florida and has a Class 7 FFL (also class 1, 3, and 6). He may be coming to stay with us for a few months while he takes a class in Boston. I expect that he's going to want to shoot regularly while he's here, but with my schedule I'm not going to be able to chaperon him nearly as often as he'd like to go.

As an FFL, will he be able to possess & transport firearms in Massachusetts without an LTC? It strikes me that he would, just because out of state FFLs bring their guns into state for gun shows all the time - wouldn't he be able to do the same, driving from my house to the range or local competitions?

I know he won't be able to conceal carry, or make local purchases, but he should be able to take his & my guns to and from the range.

Come to think of it, wouldn't he be able to drive to and from the range with a gun locked in the trunk, the same way an out of state resident can drive from New Hampshire or Connecticut to a range for a competition or training class?

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom