• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of state carry license?

Have a MA LTC A no restrictions. GF lives in CT. I am thinking about getting a non resident carry permit in CT. I have taken the basic firearms course for MA. What do I need to do? Email or call them for forms or something?

Call fo the packet. They are really friendly. You will need a cert showing that you took a class that includes live fire, iirc 50 rounds minimum. NRA basic pistol was fine last I checked.

Get the 2 sets of prints at your local PD, and complete app as specified. Mail it in and you are all set.

Good luck.

Sent from my mobile device.

Ok cool. I'll have to get the packet. A little worried about the course. It is NRA but 4 hours. Mass Firearms School

Here's their website:

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494614

You'll need to call for an application but they are very easy to deal with and send it right out. I actually talked to Rose there today since my application was returned due to the guy that did my fingerprint cards not signing one of them.

Jeff

ETA - That 4 hour course won't qualify. They offer a CT course there that is 8 hours...looking at schedule there is one this coming Saturday but it's more money for ya. Maybe MFS will cut you a deal if you ask and tell them the situation?

Last edited:
I'll have to talk to them. I don't mind another course but it would have been nice to avoid it. I've shot a considerable amount since but I know that doesn't matter.

Ok cool. I'll have to get the packet. A little worried about the course. It is NRA but 4 hours. Mass Firearms School

No, that course won't fly for CT. AFAIK (I was corrected on this, thus pretty certain) ONLY NRA Basic Pistol (8 hr course with live fire) is accepted by CT. If in doubt, call and talk with them.

No, that course won't fly for CT. AFAIK (I was corrected on this, thus pretty certain) ONLY NRA Basic Pistol (8 hr course with live fire) is accepted by CT. If in doubt, call and talk with them.

I was just at my local yesterday trying to figure this one out. I took a class in February for my Arizona CCW, which included live fire. They (the locals) read the description and noticed that it said "[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]NO LESS THAN the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course". Because it is not specifically stating that course, and the one I took required more than 50 rounds, they said I should be good to go.

Again, this is my local PD stating this.
[/FONT]

I was just at my local yesterday trying to figure this one out. I took a class in February for my Arizona CCW, which included live fire. They (the locals) read the description and noticed that it said "NO LESS THAN the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course". Because it is not specifically stating that course, and the one I took required more than 50 rounds, they said I should be good to go.

Again, this is my local PD stating this.

Based on my reading of that, I had originally advertised my NRA PPIH course (~3 hrs on the range, 80+ shots) as meeting CT standards. I was "called on it" and removed that statement and it was explained to me that CT officially only accepts Basic Pistol for the permit. I honestly don't know, that's why I had suggested the person contact CT Licensing folks to clarify this for them.

It also depends on who you talk to at Licensing. I was told I had six months before I had to apply as a Resident, was told yesterday that the moment I stepped foot inside my new apartment I was a resident.

Update: Just got back from the local PD, they accepted my out of state training for the application. They made a copy of my CCW from Arizona to submit with the paperwork.

Last edited:
Ok, I received a call earlier today from my local PD now stating that my out of state training is insufficient and I need to take an "approved" course. Does anyone have the statute that this requirement comes from? Specifically, I want to find out why my out of state training doesn't count when it is "NO LESS THAN the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course". Does anyone know?

I looked at Sec. 29-28 and only found:

"
(b)(1) has failed to successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association".

My course was not an NRA course, but was taught by an NRA inst

I've been told by people in the know (wrt CT licensing process) that CT interprets that as "NRA Basic Pistol" and only NRA Basic Pistol. Sounds dumb, but that seems to be the case there.

dcmdon should be able to come up with the proper citations and info!

Connecticut DESPP said:
You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494614

[Emphasis in original]

That still only indicates that those two courses are not approved, but other live fire would be (as long as they are at least the NRA Basic Pistol).

Except that that is not what it says (not in those words).

The statute authorizes the Commissioner of Public Safety to designate acceptable courses.

Such designations are likely contained in the CT Administrative Code (the equivalent of CMRs in MA).

That's why I'm trying to find out the specific statute requirements.

I am unable to locate it online, but it can be obtained here for a fee: http://www.jud.ct.gov/pub.htm

Except that that is not what it says (not in those words). That's why I'm trying to find out the specific statute requirements.

When S&W was running it, this was also accepted: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57973_757915_757787_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

It would seem that if it is not specifically an NRA Basic Pistol Class, then the creator of the class has obtained acceptance from the commissioner for that class.

Therefore ask the instructor if he has said acceptance.
The application coversheet calls out basic pistol and xx class time, 50 rounds of ammo etc.

Sent from my mobile device.

Last edited:
I've been told by people in the know (wrt CT licensing process) that CT interprets that as "NRA Basic Pistol" and only NRA Basic Pistol. Sounds dumb, but that seems to be the case there.

dcmdon should be able to come up with the proper citations and info!

Hmm. I just found this thread. Hopefully I can help.

1) Residency - you are a resident the second you move in. Get your application and go.

2) Approved courses. There are only TWO approved courses. 1) NRA Basic Pistol. 2) A course developed by Ed Peruta and approved by the commissioner per 29-28.
Nobody is currently teaching Ed's course, so from a practical perspective, you must complete a NRA Basic Pistol course. There aren't really any citations to make other than the DPS web site. The commissioner can approve a course based solely on his discretion. There are no regs around this.

If you have any further questions, please post them here. I don't want to call myself an expert on the CT process, but I've got it pretty well nailed and have established personal relationships with people who ARE experts who I can check with.

Don

p.s. We at CTCarry are attempting to get a course approved by the Commissioner. When that is a go, we will let everyone know.

Last edited:
Based on my reading of that, I had originally advertised my NRA PPIH course (~3 hrs on the range, 80+ shots) as meeting CT standards. I was "called on it" and removed that statement and it was explained to me that CT officially only accepts Basic Pistol for the permit. I honestly don't know, that's why I had suggested the person contact CT Licensing folks to clarify this for them.

I can tell you from personal experience that CT accepts the Basic Pistol instructor certificate as well.

I can tell you from personal experience that CT accepts the Basic Pistol instructor certificate as well.

Yes, as do certain MA towns. Which I won't detail, because technically a Basic Pistol instructor cert from out of state (since for the instructor credentials probably wasn't conducted by a MA certified instructor who also just happened to be a NRA Training Counselor, and probably other reasons) is not technically adequate for a MA LTC.

However, in a strange fit of common sense, I've heard of a case of a town accepting the instructor credentials in lieu of a certificate of completion.

Just talked to a Detective Musial at SLFU (I'll provide his number if anyone needs it). He was finally able to give me the answer I needed, another detective read off the statute, and couldn't see why my pistol course from AZ wasn't good enough. According to Musial, the only courses that WILL qualify in Connecticut are those APPROVED by the Commissioner, regardless of quality of training.

Feels nice to at least have an official response, rather than just being told it has to be one specific class without there being anything to back it up.

Yes, as do certain MA towns. Which I won't detail, because technically a Basic Pistol instructor cert from out of state (since for the instructor credentials probably wasn't conducted by a MA certified instructor who also just happened to be a NRA Training Counselor, and probably other reasons) is not technically adequate for a MA LTC.

However, in a strange fit of common sense, I've heard of a case of a town accepting the instructor credentials in lieu of a certificate of completion.

Not to hijack the thread....but in about 2 years, I'll be able to test this. My son has his NRA Apprentice Instructor's credentials, and has helped teach BP courses (He's 13). When he goes for his FID, I"ll see if this will fly. If not, he's got his Hunter Ed card, too...

Back
Top Bottom