• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of State but want to shoot in MA

Just wondering if an individual who is not a MA resident can come bring a MA compliant non large capacity rifle shoot in MA if he or she is a member of a MA gun club.

I know this has been beaten to death, and I've read the laws and I just find them hard to understand. I'm not all that smart when it comes to this stuff. I know that there is a particular law about having to be on the way to a formal shooting event, but I can't figure out if this just applies for handguns. So just looking for a cut and dry answer if someone can transport a rifle into MA for target shooting or if this requires the posession of a non-MA license.

From GOAL:

Q.When do I not need a non-resident License to Carry?
A. The only time a non-resident may bring a handgun into Massachusetts without a license is for a pistol or revolver competition – in general, provided you are a US resident and have a pistol license issued under similar conditions to Massachusetts - or if a law enforcement person on official duty. You can not come into the state to practice with your handgun without a License to Carry. See C. 140 § 131G

Massachusetts general law Chapter 140, §129C provides many exemptions from licensing requirements for non-residents coming into the state with rifles, shotguns and ammunition therefor. Briefly, these are

(1) hunters with valid nonresident hunting licenses,

(2) possession on a firing or shooting range,

(3) possession while traveling in or through the commonwealth with rifles or shotguns unloaded and enclosed in a case,

(4) possession while at a firearms show or display organized by a gun collectors club or association or

(5) carrying by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/nonresapply.html

IANAL, but make sure the rifle does not fall under the AWB and you should be good to go.

Thanks. So, It basically sounds like someone could bring a rifle into MA and shoot it at a MA gun club even if they do not have any type of MA license and it is not a formal competition, so long as it is unloaded, locked up, and not on the AWB list.

Just wondering if an individual who is not a MA resident can come bring a MA compliant non large capacity rifle shoot in MA if he or she is a member of a MA gun club.

Just to be clear, there's no such thing as a "Mass. compliant" rifle.

You can check out the link in my sigline, but I'll make it real easy for you. Non-residents can possess FID compliant rifles and shotguns (meaning non-large capacity, something like a pump shotgun, bolt rifle, etc.) in Mass. without a Mass. license, as long as it's legal for them to possess in their home state and they transport it locked up and unloaded. For non-large capacity rifles, non-residents don't need to be a member of a club, attending a match or anything like that. They can't buy ammo in Mass. though, so they should bring in whatever they'll need to shoot.

There is a big catch though; I doubt there's 3 cops in 100 who are familiar with the non-resident laws, so expect a nightmare if it comes to their attention.

So, It basically sounds like someone could bring a rifle into MA and shoot it at a MA gun club even if they do not have any type of MA license and it is not a formal competition, so long as it is unloaded, locked up, and not on the AWB list.

Yes to everything except the last part. Mass. is still living under the 94 AWB so it's illegal to possess certain rifle configurations unless they're pre-ban. But to the best of my knowledge, even the nuetered versions of every rifle listed in the AWB are still "large capacity," such as AR's, AK's, and anything else that's fun. It's a felony to possess large capacity guns in Mass. as a non-resident without a Non-Resident Mass. LTC.

If you name the gun(s) you want to bring in we can tell you if they're legal for you to bring in or not.

Just to be clear, there's no such thing as a "Mass. compliant" rifle.

You can check out the link in my sigline, but I'll make it real easy for you. Non-residents can possess FID compliant rifles and shotguns (meaning non-large capacity, something like a pump shotgun, bolt rifle, etc.) in Mass. without a Mass. license, as long as it's legal for them to possess in their home state and they transport it locked up and unloaded. For non-large capacity rifles, non-residents don't need to be a member of a club, attending a match or anything like that. They can't buy ammo in Mass. though, so they should bring in whatever they'll need to shoot.

There is a big catch though; I doubt there's 3 cops in 100 who are familiar with the non-resident laws, so expect a nightmare if it comes to their attention.

Yes to everything except the last part. Mass. is still living under the 94 AWB so it's illegal to possess certain rifle configurations unless they're pre-ban. But to the best of my knowledge, even the nuetered versions of every rifle listed in the AWB are still "large capacity," such as AR's, AK's, and anything else that's fun. It's a felony to possess large capacity guns in Mass. as a non-resident without a Non-Resident Mass. LTC.

If you name the gun(s) you want to bring in we can tell you if they're legal for you to bring in or not.

That is a great help. +1 thanks for taking the time to help me out. You've covered everything.

The only question I would have left is if the rifle is a bolt action rifle that is detachable external magazine fed, and has no other evil features such as collapsing stock, flash hider, pistol grip, etc., would it be okay to bring in so long as the magazines that are brought are "low capacity" . And, if so, what would be low capacity magazines for a bolt action rifle?

Last edited:
The only question I would have left is if the rifle is a bolt action rifle that is detachable external magazine fed, and has no other evil features such as collapsing stock, flash hider, pistol grip, etc., would it be okay to bring in so long as the magazines that are brought are "low capacity" . And, if so, what would be low capacity magazines for a bolt action rifle?

"Evil features" only apply to semi-automatic firearms...

M.G.L. c.140 s.121

"Assault weapon"...shall not include:

>snip<

(ii) any weapon that is operated by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action;

Last edited:
Kevlar,

True but I think that the mags still count as an issue. If >10 rds for handgun/rifle, they must be mfd PRE-9/13/1994. For shotguns, the mags can't be greater than 5 rds(or pre-9/13/1994).

That is a great help. +1 thanks for taking the time to help me out. You've covered everything.

No problem. [grin] To answer your question, you can bring in any mags that hold 10 rounds or less, whether fixed or detachable.

Kevlar,

True but I think that the mags still count as an issue. If >10 rds for handgun/rifle, they must be mfd PRE-9/13/1994. For shotguns, the mags can't be greater than 5 rds(or pre-9/13/1994).

Yup, you're right. Mea culpa.

Back
Top Bottom