• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of grenades for the M79 + last mag of ammo for the M16 = bayonet charge

try as we might, went through a dozen grenades for the M79 (look close that black dot, is the projectile "pre impact" in mid air)
P1000558.jpg

about 1000 rounds through the M16
P1000569.jpg

plus countless other rounds through SMGs and other small arms
P1000550.jpg

Still the opposing side wouldn't go down...came down to my last mag in the 16, had no other options but a Bayonet charge...(click onthis pic for the video)

[smile]

Last edited:
Cool!

I always loved the "thunk" from 40mm grenade launchers (it's up there with the Garand "ping").

What type of rounds were you firing?

The M-79 was my weapon of choice in Vietnam!

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but what kind of rounds can you legally get for it?

I carried a M79 for a while, we carried them as a back up, on a sling over our back along with 6 rounds. They also were good for firing flares and the Army also had 40mm shotgun rounds for them if you wanted them.

I can give you a hard earned tip about them. Don't ever use one of them in a rubber tree plantation.

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but what kind of rounds can you legally get for it?

I'm pretty sure you can get the blue practice rounds that have orange chalk inside of them. By looking at that photo, it looks like there is a small amount of orange chalk already on the berm, so thats what I would guess they are using.

I'm pretty sure you can get the blue practice rounds that have orange chalk inside of them. By looking at that photo, it looks like there is a small amount of orange chalk already on the berm, so thats what I would guess they are using.

You can also roll your own, the only stipulation being that they must contain less than 1/4oz of explosive/propellant (otherwise, the round itself becomes a DD, and is subject to a $200 tax stamp)

I carried a M79 for awhile aboard the aircraft. It was a hoot firing that thing going 120 knots and watching the arcing shot. Couldn't even come close to hitting anything with it though (in the air that is). As I remember, the shotgun shell had about 5 good sized balls embedded in a plastic sort of stuff. Had a mixture of mostly HE along with some shotgun rounds. I understand they came with fleschetts (sp?) but never saw any.

We always had one in our platoon that was just for shot and fleschette rounds, as they ruin the rifling. We used it for one thing, clearing the jungle to make a new trail........THWAAAANG![smile]

A lot easier than trying to hack your way with a machete!

You can also roll your own, the only stipulation being that they must contain less than 1/4oz of explosive/propellant (otherwise, the round itself becomes a DD, and is subject to a $200 tax stamp)

Atmay, pretty much got it...you can basicly get anything you want for them, but explosive rounds are DD's on thier own so $200 tax on each...

As for "factory" ammo the most common is the chalk practice rounds, but you can still find the "shot gun" rounds without much looking, and I think you can still come up with factory flacette rounds if you poke around, but "ammo collectors" always seem to grab them up...(of course all sorts of flares, smoke, tear gas, baton, etc rounds are available as well)

the other options (besides rolling your own) are the various adapters out ther, I have a 12 and 20 gauge adapter (makes for cheap shooting) fun with "bird bombs". They also have 22 cal "beehive" adapters.

Due to the cost of replacement barrels for the 79, I won't shoot beehive rounds or flaccette rounds in mine...

My friend, Thumper! Never carried one myself, though I fired a few rounds. It was always nice to have one nearby. I was particularly fond of the effect that Willie Pete had on those with bad attitudes.

Ken

My friend, Thumper! Never carried one myself, though I fired a few rounds. It was always nice to have one nearby. I was particularly fond of the effect that Willie Pete had on those with bad attitudes.

Ken

Thumper......I haven't heard that name since Vietnam!.......must be Alsheimers setting in![rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Never carried one in Nam, but fired many rounds through it... Was one of my favorite marine corps goodies.

Back
Top Bottom