• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Our AG's worst nightmare.

It has no effect on MA and it is not a law that is likely to ever be passed in MA. Boston has too much clout politically to ever be mandated to accept MGLs "as is".

The gun mentality in Alaska, with bears coming knocking on residents doors is very different than in MA where the sheeple think that they are all safe and that only mass murderers and police need/own guns!

Just realize that no anti-gun law in Boston currently affects anyone other than Boston residents. I'm not going to say that it will always be that way, but currently the laws that they have passed against their own residents are unenforceable and no attempt is made to enforce them. "Visitors" to the city are exempt from them and no place else in MA has the privileges of superseding state laws like Boston has.

So, a law like in Alaska might be nice here, but really wouldn't change anything.

MrsWildweasel said:
Alaska is looking better and better.

It's a lovely state. Two disadvantages: Lots of rain (Ketchikan has 220+ days of rain a year; it can take you up to 3 years to paint your house!) and mosquitos that you need a shotgun for.

Oh, yeah - third disadvantage. Jobs? Think oil fields in the north or tourist season in the southeast part. And that's seasonal.

"The new law would allow cities to keep guns out of places beyond a restricted access point, such as a metal detector, but the chiefs say their cities can't afford the staff or equipment."

OK, then riddle me this, bat chump: How would they enforce their silly "no guns allowed" laws?" Let me guess. They'll wait until some citizen is forced to use her carry gun to prevent a violent attack, then arrest her. After all, it's a lot safer pushing honest people around than it would be to deal with real criminals.

Ken

"Alaska is looking better and better"

With regard to rain, it depends on where you live. I was stationed in Anchorage from 1968-1970, and I don't recall much in the way of rain, I realize that down along the panhandle it is different.

In those pre-pipeline days (things were just opening up there with regard to the oil industry) almost everyone carried or at least owned a gun. It was part of the culture, and I am fairly certain that once out of metropolitan Anchorage or Fairbanks, not too much has changed.

The cost of living was/is high but wages were/are high. I think if one has marketable skills, then there are employment possibilities, otherwise it is as dwarven pointed out, limited to tourism and oil...and yes the "skeeters" get pretty big up there.

Mark

mark056 said:
as dwarven pointed out

I should just cut and paste this, because this must be about the 6th time, but...

"dwarven1" - "dwarven" is an adjective referring to things made by or owned by dwarves. Or someone who is a dwarf.

:p

Ross

Yes, I am well aware of what the term dwarven means. It is also your screen name followed by the arabic numeral 1. Now how in the heck am I supposed to know what you want to be called ? Standard internet protocol usually has one addressed by their screen name for forum purposes.

I would have sent this as a PM, but you didn't.

You have my apologies for not addressing you properly. In the future I will address you as Ross, I hope that that is satisfactory for you unless you desire to be addressed by some other appelation.

Respectfully and with all best wishes,

Mark

mark056 said:
Standard internet protocol usually has one addressed by their screen name for forum purposes.

I did not realize that it's a standard to omit the number; I usually use the whole thing. So I should just refer to you as Mark and not Mark056, I assume? (not being a wise guy, just checking to make sure)
mark056 said:
You have my apologies for not addressing you properly. In the future I will address you as Ross, I hope that that is satisfactory for you unless you desire to be addressed by some other appelation.

Ross works, Dwarf works, Dwarven1 works... just don't call me late for supper. :) Sorry; didn't mean to sound grumpy (he's a different dwarf!).

Ross

You don't have to move that far to live that free. Remember, VT has NEVER required permits to carry, and likely NEVER will. Sure, we can't carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in our vehicles, but hey, that's just common sense. And it's a Fish and Game regulation.

MrsWildweasel said:
This is true too, and the mosquito's are not huge either.

The place isn't much different than Western Mass. My part of the state is a little more civilized than some of Western Mass, though. I'm referring to the area just east of North Adams on MA 2. That place is almost as bad as the North East Kingdom up here.

You get up into Savoy, and Florida there isn't much civilization,but I really like it up there. You saw where we were and alot of people think we are really out in the sticks. [lol]

Ripton is located in the Green Mountain National Forest, and is best known for its "first citizen" and long time resident, Robert Frost.

Also here is Breadloaf Mountain along with Mount Roosevelt and Mount Wilson.

County: Addison
Chartered: April 13, 1781
Population: 547

And my town:

New Haven was where bitter battles were fought between the Green Mountain Boys and the Yorkers.

County: Addison
Chartered: November 2, 1761
Population: 1,401

Nickle said:
Ross thinks Ripton is the sticks. He needs to visit Somerset.

Nickle, my friend... compared to where I grew up, it IS the sticks.

Fair Lawn, NJ. Population 32,000 living in 5.3 square miles, 10 miles due west of Manhattan - as in New York City. [You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy - oops, wrong city].

Heck, even my current home is the sticks by comparison! The patch of trees in my back yard where the turkeys were going in those photos I posted? Fair Lawn doesn't have that many trees AT ALL. Even the PARKS don't have trees that thick! You have to go to the next town to get to Dunkerhook Park for that kind of growth. Fair Lawn is a serious bedroom community. There is NO empty land in the town AT ALL any more that isn't a town park. NONE. They built over the last farm 7 years ago.

Ross

"I did not realize that it's a standard to omit the number; I usually use the whole thing. So I should just refer to you as Mark and not Mark056, I assume? not being a wise guy, just checking to make sure)"

Ross,

You raise a very good point. I did omit the number...it must have been a subconscious thing, as I like to think of people as people and not numbers. (we are identified by far too many numbers in opinion)

Anyway, thanks for clarifying things. I sorta like Mark but Mark056 (because that number is arbitrary and has absolutely no significance) is fine too...thank you too, for taking the time to reply.

Regards.

mark056 said:
(we are identified by far too many numbers in opinion)

I hear you loud and clear on that one!

mark056 said:
Anyway, thanks for clarifying things. I sorta like Mark but Mark056 (because that number is arbitrary and has absolutely no significance) is fine too...thank you too, for taking the time to reply.

Not a problem; I realize that many folks use the numbers do differentiate them from the 6000 other Mark/Joe/Johns who may be using the same ISP. Dwarven1 is a play on words from what a friend calls me, and also it's a way to prevent "dictionary" searches from spamming me - it really does cut down on the amount of spam I get!

Ross (the dwarven 1)

I generally skip the numbers because, due to CRS, I may remember them incorrectly between reading the post, hitting reply and starting the reply!

In Ross' case, I call him Ross, because otherwise I have to go back and copy to paste the way he spells his "stage name".

Lynne said:
GunGoddess.

bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

"If I hadn't picked my own name to use...I probably would have gone with something like....GunGoddess."

WHAT! Not She Who Must Be Obeyed?

I figure either of those magnums ought to enforce the peace....... [wink]

Back
Top Bottom