• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Otis Elite Cleaning Kit- I'm Impressed

Finally received it after a backorder and used it for the first time this weekend. Here is what I've observed:

Packaging/Completeness
- Nice carry case for entire kit
- Small "tactical" kit/case thats included is great if you're taking a gun or two somewhere and don't want to bring the entire kit
- Need to add *some* items (heavier duty lube), extra cleaner
- Since there are so many tools (picks, scrapers, brushes, etc) there are parts you can lose; wish there were some more vials instead of just plastic baggies.

Function
- Their patch idea (where each patch is folded in different ways to be able to be used 6 times) is interesting. I found the result is that each patch places more even pressure throughout the bore. I wasn't comfortable going with 6 uses per patch except at the very start of cleaning when they all come out dirty anyway.
- I really like the pull-through nature of the system, easy to use and it lets you get a nice tight fit between patch/bore without worrying about breaking rods
- Their cleaning/lube fluid works very well and doesn't stink up the house or make a mess
- I only did a thorough cleaning and it was fairly fast/easy/less messy than other kits I've used. I imagine that doing a quick cleaning would be VERY fast.

I'm sure most of you folks know a lot more about cleaning than I do...but for someone who is used to using a Hoppes kit from Walmart and whatever tools are around it was a huge step up and I consider it a very worthwhile investment.

Bought their "Buttstock Kit" for the AR so I'd have something with me that wasn't the multi-segment GI rod and ended up using it most of the time for formal cleaning of the rifle. Comes with a really good camber brush too.

I've since begun to replace all my rod kits with the Otis. Best of all, it all fits in a small case that is easy to drag along if I need to.

Pricey, and the patches are proprietary. But I can use regular patches for most work and leave the special ones for final swabbing.

I still prefer a caliber specific Bore Snake for initial cleaning passes, but the Otis does the rest now.

Easier to clean in the proper direction on a revolver. The cable is plastic coated and virtually impossible to damage a barrel crown. The quality of the brushes and other parts is very high.

One thing I wish they did was include a small plastic card that shows the various foldings for different calibers. I'm always having to look up the pattern if I haven't shot the caliber in a while.

i picked up the tactical kit that cleans everything from .177 to 12 gauge. I love this cleaning kit, no rods, great functional components. I think i only paid $38 for the it at North Shore.

Back
Top Bottom