• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Other members of my household without FID/LTC, questions

Regarding red flag/209A: I've known my wife for over 15 years. She wouldn't do either of those unless she actually comes to believe I was a danger to her or others/unless I were to abuse her, neither of which is the case.

So aside from her ideological feelings:
1. She has shot bows & arrows with me at an archery range. She enjoys it, but says she is always worried about someone dumb turning & shooting her by mistake.
She feels she would probably survive being shot with an arrow, but not survive being shot with a gun. Even if it was just us and no one else shooting at a range, she also thinks she would not enjoy shooting a gun the way she enjoys shooting archery. She has never shot before (nor been around a gun before), but said she thinks it would just feel too powerful, too much of a reminder of how deadly they can be, or something like that. (She says she thinks she would feel the same about a compound bow--she has only shot recurves.)
2. She is a teacher, and her school does lockdown drills. She says its scary. She is also against allowing teachers to carry at school. She doesn't want to be around guns, and she doesn't trust other people to act responsibly with them. I guess she feels the odds of someone showing up with a gun are low enough that she would just rather never be around guns, and take the risk that no one is armed if one does show up.
3. She has an irrational (she admits its not really rational) fear that there is at least a 50% chance that if the gun comes out, the bad guy takes it away and shoots us with it. And/or, the bad guy was just planning on robbing us or hurting us some, not on killing us, the gun comes out and now they get pissed off and want to kill us. E.g., maybe the bad guy has a gun and wouldn't have shot us, just robbed us, but when our gun comes out ends up killing us.

Maybe she'll find she enjoys shooting once she tries it, but she says that that won't happen.

My wife is NOT a shooter. She does not carry and only comes to the range with me to help at matches. She does not have the safe combo.

But you bet she has her MA LTC, just in case........

I am more worried about some idiot crashing into me with a car on my ride home then getting shot at the range

The chances of you getting accidentally shot are so close to zero that it should be close to last on your list of fears.

Shot on purpose is more a function of your relationship with Mrs. Sparkey.

Baby steps, lol... or, you ease your wife into shooting, and she gets the itch. Starts wanting to go to the range all the time, and your schedules don't line up enough so she starts taking additional range time with a coworker, whom she has an affair with [rolleyes]

...happened to a buddy of mine, true story.

Back
Top Bottom