• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Other Eastern Mass. Indoor Ranges besides MFS?

Looking for other indoor ranges in the Metro West area.

MFS is impossible on weekends now.

Thanks

Hopkinton Sportsman Association-Membership required
Ashland fish and game-Membership required
both within ten minutes from MFS

Indoor range.

I like MFS, but the last 3 weekend trips there resulted in:

1. No place to park

2. At least a 45 minute wait

I ended up leaving all 3 times.

It's frustrating.

Indoor range.

1. No place to park

It's frustrating.

so many nes posts recently about finding a place to shoot......this is like the third post asking this question in a week.....must be the smell of spring in the air......there are so many gun clubs around taking members. Just join a gun club.

Last edited:
I would join a club. Many clubs have 24/7 indoor ranges, low annual membership dues, and competitive teams that shoot in leagues.

and pin shoots, plate shoots, trap skeet, archery, oh and you get to take your time and relax cuz your not worried about pumpin as much ammo as u can through the guns in order to "get your money worth" out of thr rental range. At a gun club you can shoot.....take a coffee break.....shoot some more......fire up the grill for burgers.....shoot some more. Just join a club

Indoor range.

1. No place to park

It's frustrating.

Yep, and last Friday, the guy at the desk said the member reserve a lane site does not work, so just show up. I dont think so. They have a good problem - growing too fast.

As that yogi fella said, no one goes there anymore, because its too crowded.

Nice people, they are trying. Not much 9mm ammo choices. Like others have said, join a gun club. Many of us have been lulled into MFS because it is convenient and good location. Well, convenient is getting less so.

I bet itll be uncrowded in a month or so. Best private club in that region though is HSA.... hands down. Just join and get it over with, instead of banging your head against the wall :)

Dunno if you're up for a bit of a drive up Rte 3 but a new indoor range just opened up in Hudson NH by the 'dunks on Lowell Rd.
www.granitestaterange.com

Stopped in there with the wifey last week to check it out, very nice place. Didn't really look at ammo/gun prices but it was friendly and had a really nice lounge area. Dedicated RO inside, too.

so many nes posts recently about finding a place to shoot......this is like the third post asking this question in a week.....must be the smell of spring in the air......there are so many gun clubs around taking members. Just join a gun club.

I'll never understand the fixation of joining a commercial indoor range vs. a gun club. I've only been in this game for almost 40 years.

- Most clubs are simple to join, one or two meetings at most and you are in. [Do NOT be intimidated by "member must sign off" application forms, that formality is usually taken care of by a BOD member when you don't know anyone there.]
- Since everyone has a vested interest in the facility, people tend to be more careful (safety conscious) than at a commercial range. It's all about "skin in the game".
- Many fewer yahoos, gang-bangers practicing for their next act of terrorism or neighborhood shoot-out.
- I've belonged to 4 different clubs over the years. Unless there was an event going on, I have NEVER had to wait for a shooting lane.
- Outdoors is usually healthier (less lead in the air you breathe) even in a normal Winter (this year was NOT a normal Winter)!
- Cost is a helluva lot less assuming you use it more than a couple times/year.
- Usually you have indoor and outdoor multiple ranges vs. commercial single indoor range in most places.
- MA is very tough on anyone trying to run a commercial range, hard to get all the permissions, oftentimes BATFE DEMANDS that you copy DLs or LTC and give that info to them on a regular basis, as they are looking for PPs using said ranges (which is very common). This does not exist at gun clubs! If there is a sign-in book, it is strictly managed only by officers and not given to LE.
- Hours of availability is usually greater in gun clubs than commercial ranges.
- There are something like 200+ gun clubs in MA and only 4 commercial ranges! Two previous commercial ranges were shut-down by local gov't intervention and/or BATFE hounding!
- Gun clubs sponsor juniors programs and women's programs at no or little cost to the participants (and parents/participants don't have to belong to participate either). Commercial ranges don't do this (they may run a discount night for women however, but I think MFL is the only one that does this in the area).
- Only a couple of clubs "require" you to participate in work parties or attend meetings. Most members at each club I've belonged to never show their face anywhere but the range after they join.

--------------

Personally I avoid commercial ranges like the plague.

- I have taught a class with Jeff/RKBA at AFS, coaching the students on the range but didn't shoot there myself.
- I attended a number of events at AFS where they ran an open house and you could shoot for free, I didn't bother.
- MFL is a great commercial range but I have no interest in shooting there.
- I have only shot at the late S&W range but it was a NES event both times and they had ROs (with bullet-resisting vests) managing the safety of the line both times.
- I have been to MFL numerous times either to chat with Jim/Carey, taught a MA Gun Law Seminar there or as a customer, but never shot there, each time I observed lines running 15-45 minutes waiting for a lane. Why pay good money to belong somewhere just to waste time standing in line to use the place vs. pay once, use it whenever and as often as you like, with no lines??

Obviously I expect some will disagree with me. YMMV

Mass Firearms strives to be one of the best gun ranges in the country.

Here is what makes us so great:

- Professional staff and a super clean environment (you come, we clean after you).

- Super easy to join (no required meetings).

- Retail store on site with some of the lowest prices around.

- Members get free access to over 100k in firearms. Check them out here.

- Many local clubs give members a hard time with guests. At MFS you can always bring someone for free.

- Discounts off classes.

- Being that we are not a true public range (LTC is required to shoot or chaperone) our range is a safe environment.

- Memberships are inexpensive at $250 for the first year and $199 renewal.

- Members can reserve a lane eliminating any waits.

To the OP: Our success has made walking in difficult on some weekends (parking is still crazy because of the snow). If you are interested in a membership PM me and I will get you a discount. Being a member will allow you to take advantage of our lane reservation system eliminating any wait times.

Steve

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom