• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Other .40 cal pistol options?

So I have a Glock 23, but its not something I'm exactly married to - just not a Tupperware guy and I was pondering selling it off to get more stuff for my new AR (firkin sweet Spikes Tactical) anyway.

I generally reach for my 686 for CCW and because I don't hate the .40 and have an ample supply of ammo for it, was wondering what other options were available that I might have missed that were reliable but not murder on the wallet.

So far, I'm thinking the 4006, yes, the heavy snore fest, something in Taurus, Beretta Centurian or the Sig 250, which probably not because I know the trigger is a donkeyhumper. I looked at 1911 variants in .40, but they all seem to be hard to find and rather pricey, unless Im missing something. high capacity isn't really that important to me, but a minimum of 10 rounds is what Im after.

any thoughts? and yes, I know nothing good comes from 'fotay.

HK P2000 LEM. The last .40 I had that I shot well (despite the whole pointing it at the ground thing).

The Sig P229 is a nice gun in that caliber but it's basically this condensed into a handgun... Same with a USP .40.

As far as Beretta in .40 goes.... LMAO. Don't go there. Just don't. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Sig 229 in 40, my only 40.

I hate it but ill never sell it. I shoot it great, I dont carry it because its like the aforementioned school bus, and its solid as all ****.

Glock is best [smile]

Don't even bother considering a P250. The trigger is a non-starter. It is AWFUL.

Whenever someone thinks about buying a P250 I think of the scene from blackhawk down where the guy is shouting "DONT DO IT LADY!!!!!" whose contemplating picking up the AK to shoot at the troops, and she does anyways, and then the guy has to shoot her. It's one of those guns that if you buy it, the experience will result in despair eventually.

If one has to go polymer sig, the P320 is what the P250 should have been to begin with.

-Mike

I kinda kid about the fotay.
If a person can put it in the right place quick, it's all good.
Personally, I won't stand down range with body armor and let someone shoot at me with one.
Having said this,,,.45!!![laugh][rockon]

I have a PPS in .40 while its a good gun I dont recommend it much. Very snappy in the little gun. I say make the jump to .45 and get a M&P 45 compact.

I kinda wonder why their are not more .40 (or for that matter 10mm) 1911s. I shoot mainly 9mm, 10mm and .40. Just not a .45 guy. I would vote CZ.

I kinda wonder why their are not more .40 (or for that matter 10mm) 1911s. I shoot mainly 9mm, 10mm and .40. Just not a .45 guy. I would vote CZ.

Because most of the guys getting into 10mm end up with a G20 or a G29. It's also an easily saturated market. It's hard to justify continued production of 10mm anything past a certain point. Even CZ/DW stopped making some 10mm pistols, although I think you can still get a heritage or something in 10mm.

-Mike

I have a 3rd gen G20. I keep looking at 1911s in 10mm. I just don't see much in 40/10 out there. I'm not big on the Delta Elite and hate Kimber. Wilson makes the Hunter but that is $$$. Sig has a 10mm version of the 220 out now. Tempting.

Last edited:
Whenever someone thinks about buying a P250 I think of the scene from blackhawk down where the guy is shouting "DONT DO IT LADY!!!!!" whose contemplating picking up the AK to shoot at the troops, and she does anyways, and then the guy has to shoot her. It's one of those guns that if you buy it, the experience will result in despair eventually.

If one has to go polymer sig, the P320 is what the P250 should have been to begin with.

-Mike

P250s come up in the Sig auctions all the time, and sell for less than $200. Even at that price they aren't worth it.

So I have a Glock 23, but its not something I'm exactly married to - just not a Tupperware guy and I was pondering selling it off to get more stuff for my new AR (firkin sweet Spikes Tactical) anyway.

I generally reach for my 686 for CCW and because I don't hate the .40 and have an ample supply of ammo for it, was wondering what other options were available that I might have missed that were reliable but not murder on the wallet.

So far, I'm thinking the 4006, yes, the heavy snore fest, something in Taurus, Beretta Centurian or the Sig 250, which probably not because I know the trigger is a donkeyhumper. I looked at 1911 variants in .40, but they all seem to be hard to find and rather pricey, unless Im missing something. high capacity isn't really that important to me, but a minimum of 10 rounds is what Im after.

any thoughts? and yes, I know nothing good comes from 'fotay.
What generation is it?

I had a S&W Sigma in .40 years ago. I don't remember why I bought it - must have been drinking or something - but it was the biggest POS gun I've ever owned.

I have a Sig P229R-DAK at work and love it. Shoots well, hard to break, easy to clean.

P226 or P229

The original chambering for P229 was in .40, which is kinda cool if youre into .40

-Mike

One of these days you gotta shoot my free state P250. The trigger is actually kinda nice! Very much like a smooth revolver trigger.

agree the MA model P250 triggers are unshootable.

Back
Top Bottom