Oscillating Tool Recommendation

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I find myself in need of an oscillating type tool for a small job cutting out some shoe and baseboard molding for a vanity install. I am not looking to buy a professional grade tool like the Fein 'cause I may not ever need it again. I've started to read reviews, but as always, like to hear the opinions of my fellow NES'rs. Unfortunately, I would not be able to accept anyone's generous offer to borrow one since I no longer live in New England. Thanks in advance for your replies.

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you have any current cordless tools, consider seeing if you can get just the tool that works with your batteries. I have the Milwaukee cordless one and it works great. I'm sure any brand would be good for what you are looking for. If not, the HF recommendation seems good, their tools are great for one and done projects.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I forget what brand I have. Bosch, maybe? I've used it 3x in 5 years. If a Harbor Freight was near me 5 years ago, I would have gone that route. It's not a tool I'll use often enough to justify the extra dough.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For a small project like that I would use a fine toothed hand saw and a coping saw for back cuts if necessary.

Bob

ETA:

Im a dumb ass. I misread the OP.

Once you own a Dremel you will wonder how you lived without it.

Bob

Last edited:

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I find myself in need of an oscillating type tool for a small job cutting out some shoe and baseboard molding for a vanity install. I am not looking to buy a professional grade tool like the Fein 'cause I may not ever need it again. I've started to read reviews, but as always, like to hear the opinions of my fellow NES'rs. Unfortunately, I would not be able to accept anyone's generous offer to borrow one since I no longer live in New England. Thanks in advance for your replies.
I’m not sure but you might be able to rent one at Home Depot? They rent just about everything else. If not buy a corded Dremel

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I picked up a dremel one years ago. Corded version. It was a bit rough to use , not even sure where that went.

I did recently re tool with milwaukee and have the 18v image.jpgtool and its really good. Re cut some trim in place along with other projects I have found it handy for . Also speed/power levels make it more forgiving on “detail” work

I think this was a free tool option with the nail gun? Bought so much milwaukee stuff I cant remeber what was in the kits, free, add on promotions.
2 1/2” finish nailer is also a great tool. Dont know why I waitedimage.jpg

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
If you have any current cordless tools, consider seeing if you can get just the tool that works with your batteries. I have the Milwaukee cordless one and it works great. I'm sure any brand would be good for what you are looking for. If not, the HF recommendation seems good, their tools are great for one and done projects.
This, I'd key it off batt compatibility, in my case I have a Makita and for the few things I did with it, it works well.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Harbor Freight tool.
I purchased one for a one time/quick job a few years ago and find myself using it numerous times each month.
I ended up getting a bunch of extra blades from Harbor Freight after I wore out the first ones.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, for a one time use, harbor freight

I used one of those for a few months, then found myself using it so much on a project that i went out and bought a real one (makita cordless).

HF is corded, and only has four nubs, if i remember, to hold the tool. That allows a little slop and less efficiency, but is fine for a one time project..

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
+1 on the Harbor Freight tool.
I purchased one for a one time/quick job a few years ago and find myself using it numerous times each month.
I ended up getting a bunch of extra blades from Harbor Freight after I wore out the first ones.
I buy a few tools from HF that get abused .....last time in I was told 90 return policy with receipt for a 1 time free replacement?
Is this now true. I usually wait until the collection of Orange dead blow hammers and air tools piles up and return them. ?
Any how electric tools from HF just feel awful and just waiting to implode.
Have a corded sawsall and 5” grinder from HF they get about 2 yrs of abuse. We just buy new oned as those are mistreated in the shop

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a corded Rockwell Sonicrafter. Very pleased with it. Easy to change attachments without tools and takes just about any make of attachment.

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
If you are only doing one project ,this works more than fine, and cheaper too.
Just inspect the blade closely. I have one the handle is a bit to low and the teeth where a bit messed up making for a rough cut. Worked though.
A plus with the oscillating tool is the attachments. Some cool sanding attachments to get into tight spots .
Tile cutter , diamond blades

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are only doing one project ,this works more than fine, and cheaper too.
I used this exact same saw on my first flooring project. For the next room I went out and bought a corded Dremel oscillating tool. It was worth it.

The Dremel tool is great, but the cord is too short. If I did it again, I think I would've bought the DeWalt cordless tool instead, but just because I've got a ton of batteries and a cordless unit would be easier since I find myself using it a lot more than I thought I would.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I picked up a dremel one years ago. Corded version. It was a bit rough to use , not even sure where that went.

I did recently re tool with milwaukee and have the 18v View attachment 331469tool and its really good. Re cut some trim in place along with other projects I have found it handy for . Also speed/power levels make it more forgiving on “detail” work

I think this was a free tool option with the nail gun? Bought so much milwaukee stuff I cant remeber what was in the kits, free, add on promotions.
2 1/2” finish nailer is also a great tool. Dont know why I waitedView attachment 331469
I have the milwaukee M18 and love it. Had an HF one that died on me.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I bought the Harborfreight one and would buy it again, it exceeded my very low expectations. I used it for a kitchen remodel years back (only time I used it) to strip tile adhesive off a wall and make some cuts. Glad I didn't spend more. Sometimes it's nice to have tools you can beat up and not care about.

Top Bottom