• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

original 1917 springfield 30-06

Very unlikely it's "unfired with grease still in barrel ".

Most likely it was an aresenal rebuild that has been unused since rebuild. It could in fact have been redone many times since new.

If as you say , unfired, NEW, then it would bring BIG bucks, a couple of grand or more maybe but if it's as I suspect, probably in the 500-750 range and that's probably high.

As nice as these guns are, they just don't have the value of other guns of the US.

Heres' my 1917, with new original wood, perfect bluing and a like new barrel bore. If I could get 500 for it I'd be surprised.
17tree.jpg

captain1ma said:
could anyone tell me what a totally original 1917 springfield 30-06 unfired with grease still in barrel is worth?? thanks

Is it a 1917 Enfield, or a 1903 Springfield, made in 1917.

Springfield Armory didn't make any 1917 Enfields. There's a difference in the value. A 1903 can be had from CMP for $400. The only 1917's they have left are pretty sad shape.

it is a springfield 30-06 with a date stamped 1917 on it. it is in the original wrapper with the grease and everything. its been handed down through his family.

It sounds like it's an '03 Springfield.

If the date is stamped on the barrel, that will give you the date the barrel was manufactured. Check the reciever for the actual model #.

After getting that, then check the serial number against some of the online lists for the actual manufacture date of the rifle. I'll try to post a link for one of the lists in a little while.

CD

ETA link:
http://oldguns.net/

Scroll down the frame on the left (about 3/4 way down) to find manufacture dates & click on US Military.

thanks for the help guys, he's going to send me the serial number from the gun. The gun was aquired by his grandfather, given to his father and now is his. It was aquired original in 1917 and has never been fired, cleaned or had the grease remove. according to him, the word aquire needs to be used very loosely.

The confusion is the 1917 date, as there is a Model 1917 rifle that was in use the same time as the 1903.

If is is indeed a model 1917 it will say so on the receiver in front of the bolt. The other confusing part is a lot of old timers refer to the 1917 as a springfield 30-06 even though Springfield didn't make a 1917.

Your description sounds like it's probably a Model 1903 (again it will be stamped on the receiver in front of the bolt). It was very common for parts to be replaced during rebuild, especially the barrel. The date the barrel was made (and possibly the rifle if the barrel hasn't been replaced) is stamped on the top of the barrel near the front sight.

The serial number will help tell if the barrel date could be original.

Again I say, if it is indeed original in grease (unlikely) it's worth quite a bit more than if it is a rebuild (most likely).

Let us know what you find out. It sounds interesting.

Sounds like he may have something worth far more than I described. If it was "acquired" in 1917 and made in the same year, it's probably NOT an arsenal rebuild.

Back
Top Bottom