• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Organizing Counter Protests

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Anyone have any good ideas about how to organize a counter-protest?

A church in my town (South Hadley) is advertising a demonstration for "Gun Safety (sic)" on March 24th. From the time (10:00 - 10:30) I believe it is in conjunction with their service.

I think they have the advantage since they could have been planning this for a while and probably have access to other groups which could provide logistical support.

But I am wondering what if any organization we have who could help with a last-minute counter to theirs.

Anyone have any good ideas about how to organize a counter-protest?

A church in my town (South Hadley) is advertising a demonstration for "Gun Safety (sic)" on March 24th. From the time (10:00 - 10:30) I believe it is in conjunction with their service.

I think they have the advantage since they could have been planning this for a while and probably have access to other groups which could provide logistical support.

But I am wondering what if any organization we have who could help with a last-minute counter to theirs.

Wear your NRA or GOAL hat to church that day....nuff said!

standing outside a church screaming back at 'em won't help anything.
Wear your NRA or GOAL hat to church that day....nuff said!
try to run an application for goal membership in the church bulletin.

standing outside a church screaming back at 'em won't help anything.

try to run an application for goal membership in the church bulletin.

Who said anything about screaming at them? I am a very peaceful person. never scream at anyone. Just interested in presenting an alternative opinion.

if they're holding it on public property, then a couple of clean, well-dressed men and women holding anti-gun control signs might be in order. In this case I'd be partial to ones like "Cain killed Abel with a rock. It's a heart problem, not a gun problem." and "if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36" If it's part of their service, in their church, I'd leave them be.

The way I read the sign, it appeared to be a public demonstration outside of the church.

But, a larger question is whether we have the resources to mount a counter-demonstration, like kevin9 described, on short notice. Many of these smaller anti-gun demonstrations are probably planned well in advance, with little public notice until shortly before the event.

Being an experienced logistics planner, I have strong suspicions that there are one or more liberal/progressive groups who's primary job is to plan and mount "spontaneous" demonstrations from a well-developed playbook. Something our side is sadly lacking.

Protesting is OK. Educating is better IMO even if you can only get a few people to think. I'd set up a table with information about "gun safety".
Have factual information people can take and read at a time when they won't get a bunch of crap from other people. Standing around with signs in some instances just provokes people into fighting.

Protesting is OK. Educating is better IMO even if you can only get a few people to think. I'd set up a table with information about "gun safety".
Have factual information people can take and read at a time when they won't get a bunch of crap from other people. Standing around with signs in some instances just provokes people into fighting.

Finally, a good idea worth working on. Thanks.

Finally, a good idea worth working on. Thanks.

Just kicking this around...
If I was organizing it I would have a few things available with thought provoking titles. "How will more laws keep kids safe?" Include all the current laws. Instances they have failed and the ultimate point that criminals don't follow laws and the point that more laws won't work.

If they want to lay the blame on AR's then something with the history. How long it's been available to the public with out issues. Why people like them, competition shooting etc.

Basically anything that can correct the common misconceptions but you have to come up with a catchy title that is very similar sounding to something the other side would say or bring up.

Most important is to look approachable.

2A rights are important but "Rights" won't win this round of the fight while people are all worked up with "feels".

If laws were all it took to stop evil, then the Ten Commandments would have defeated the Devil long ago.

Same goes for the words of the Bible.

The problem is people and dealing with people requires individual action, responsibility, and morality. Things which society has increasingly abdicated to others, namely government.

Last edited:
Why? Especially if it is part of a service. Let them be.

We know God is on our side anyways.

And letting them be helps us how? We've let them be, and now they are continuing to take away our constitutional rights. By being loud, and protesting, and LYING. By being the "squeaky wheel"; If we don't stop thinking that "god is on our side" will help make them stop taking away our rights, then we will have no rights left...

Why? Especially if it is part of a service. Let them be.

We know God is on our side anyways.

God is on so many sides (at least according to just about EVERY side) that it becomes a bit difficult for some people to track his presence.

I'd actually suggest getting some local NRA instructors together and use the event as advertising for ACTUAL GUN SAFETY training instead of gun control. Offer 10% discount to any church members. Something like that. I really think that we need to reframe the language. Gun safety means Eddie Eagle and HFS/Basic Pistol courses, not gun control.

Back
Top Bottom