Ordering Firearm Parts While Using VPN

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This is probably obvious and old news but I have found that at least a couple of occasions a parts supplier won’t accept an order if the IP address through which the order was placed was foreign, generally due to a VPN. It doesn’t matter if the credit card and shipping addresses are U.S. or if you are a repeat customer. So seems like one needs to turn off VPN tunnel (or ensure it is from U.S.) when ordering parts. The explanation I hear is that it’s an ITAR issue (which I get), but I would have thought that in today’s world where internet traffic can route from anywhere that foreign IP address alone wouldn’t be the deciding factor. But maybe I am naive and misinformed.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Any good VPN will have lots of server choices for where you want to connect, including servers in the US. So, switch to that and you should be okay as long as they aren't blocking known VPN IP addresses.

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks. I do get that and will switch accordingly to make sure everything is US. But I seem to recall placing orders over the phone before so it just seems odd that if one can do that then why the fuss about IP. I wonder if the particular vendor got burned somehow by someone acting as a front. That’s all I could think of. The vendor was pretty FU about it too.

H-minus

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I usually use a Canadian proxy almost exclusively (so I can watch shows on netflix I cant get with a US ip). Never had an issue with my orders on TSUSA.

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Pretty sure my VPN was routing through Canada - I think it was on auto - so I would advise you to turn it off or change to a US IP proxy before ordering firearm parts online. Again, this only happened with one vendor over the last few months but boy did they rip me for basically being a suspicious person.

H-minus

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know. Never even crossed my mind. LaRue, Optics Planet and TSUSA are the only places Ive ordered from in a while and havent had an issue.

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I’ve never had an issue with any of the major vendors including the ones referenced above. But can’t say whether my VPN was on auto and ex-US either because I haven’t been paying attention.

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Nord and PIA (Private Internet Access) seem to get nods by many on NES. If you search for VPN there’s a bunch of threads on VPN providers.

Top Bottom