• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ordering build kit...

I'm new to all this so please forgive me if this has been addressed- I couldn't find an answer. I'm in the process of applying for the MA LTC and am interested in getting a rifle kit to build. Now I noticed some companies won't ship to Mass- some will. Is it legal to order a rifle kit as long as you don't build it before you get the LTC? From what I gather, it's just a parts kit until it's assembled correct? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Was thinking of the kits that come with an 80% lower. They are advertised as no license or registration needed to buy- same as ordering a ball joint or Bluetooth speaker. From what I understand, that 80% lower is not a firearm until it's routed out to accept the other parts of the gun.. looks like a cool project to try to build one with a fixed mag or whatever else would make it mass legal- which I would attempt after I am issued an LTC. I'd like to order one just to have- as you never know- could wake up tomorrow and all the kits are banned... Just want to know if I'm understanding things correctly.
Thanks

According to Federal law there is nothing illegal about owning gun parts.

MA law requires you to be licensed to own a "firearm". In order for something to be considered a "firearm" it has to be capable of firing. A rifle "kit" which does not include a serialized, Federally controlled "lower receiver" cannot be considered a "firearm".

You could decide to make it into a firearm--the same way that I could decide to make a piece of threaded pipe and a cap and a nail into a shotgun or a zip gun.

What YOU decide to do with that kit--when, and where--determines when and/or if you have committed a criminal act and/or/if you have broken a law which is punishable by the State.

MA has decreed controls over firearms, ammunition, and ammunition feeding devices.

You cannot possess these items in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts without a license, or else you risk arrest and prosecution.

In MA, the mere possession of ammunition or an ammunition feeding device (i.e. a magazine) by an unlicensed individual IS a crime punishable under MA law. You could be the finest, bravest, most noble person in the world with no malice in your soul--if you have a box of ammunition in your possession without having been licensed by the State to do so, you are deemed a criminal.

I'm sure it all seems pretty convoluted. That's because it is. Welcome to Massachusetts.

Last edited:
That's what I understood. So as long as said build kit DOES NOT come with a magazine it is lawful to order correct? Wonder why some places won't ship to MA....

They won't ship to MA because the MA AG has sent them a letter and threatened them with legal action. Legal action would require them to appear in court, and pay a lawyer to argue their case. Even if they win, they have to pay for the lawyer--so it is easier for them to just avoid the whole situation by not shipping to MA.

Kudos to Target Sports (and others) for deciding to keep shipping to MA in the face of the MA AG's threats.

To answer your question directly--there is no law (yet) against ordering metal parts, and no law against having those parts in a box in your basement, and no reporting requirement for such parts, be they new or used. That could change, I suppose, depending on how much MORE control the MA AG decides to try to exert over the law-abiding gun owners here in MA. It would be great if she would maybe try to focus on criminals rather than us conservative taxpaying white guys with spotless criminal histories--but hey, protecting the public from violent criminals (whether documented or undocumented) wouldn't earn her points as a "progressive", now would it? To earn points as a "progressive" she needs to focus her energy on the real enemy--which is us.

Last edited:
That's what I understood. So as long as said build kit DOES NOT come with a magazine it is lawful to order correct? Wonder why some places won't ship to MA....
most places wont ship cause they cant be bothered to even try to understand the laws or our AGs interpretation of these laws in mass. So our AG threatens legal action and most just say screw it and dont sell us anything.
Going through that right now with a vendor

They won't ship to MA because the MA AG has sent them a letter and threatened them with legal action. Legal action would require them to appear in court, and pay a lawyer to argue their case. Even if they win, they have to pay for the lawyer--so it is easier for them to just avoid the whole situation by not shipping to MA.

Kudos to Target Sports (and others) for deciding to keep shipping to MA in the face of the MA AG's threats.

To answer your question directly--there is no law (yet) against ordering metal parts, and no law against having those parts in a box in your basement, and no reporting requirement for such parts, be they new or used. That could change, I suppose, depending on how much MORE control the MA AG decides to try to exert over the law-abiding gun owners here in MA. It would be great if she would maybe try to focus on criminals rather than us conservative taxpaying white guys with spotless criminal histories--but hey, protecting the public from violent criminals (whether documented or undocumented) wouldn't earn her points as a "progressive", now would it? To earn points as a "progressive" she needs to focus her energy on the real enemy--which is us.
In my opinion that whole "BAN" was a political move to get national name recognition/liberal credentials so that when Hillary was elected President a few short months later she moves on to Washington to work in the new administration and be a Democrat rising star. But alas- it was not to be. Interesting how the DAILY gun deaths of black and brown children never seems to motivate them - only when white kids are killed do they renew their calls to ban gun ownership.

Legality aside, if you do order these parts, probably best to keep them separate until you're licensed. On the off chance you're busted for some stupid stuff and they find these parts, you know they'll turn you into a prop about being an unlicensed ghost gun maker instead of focusing on anything else.

ghost-gun.jpg

A complete upper is not a firearm either and requires no license to possess, buy or sell.
I completely understand and know that.
But in my opinion having 95% of a gun in parts sitting in a box under his bed is risky purely for the fact he doesn't have a license yet. And if something were to happen by accident like a police raid or a fire and then he's defending himself in court arguing they're just pieces of metal.

Hey, Maura now has you on a list.
First rule of fight club, couldn’t you figure it out ?
A list of what- People trying to follow the law? How else to learn but to ask? I've been to a few gun stores and a few gun shows and It looks like a fun hobby- especially the whole technical aspect- like Lego's for grownups. I ask here because I'm brand new to this stuff and trying to learn.

Depending on what you're planning to build, I'm selling off some tooling including a shop press, spot welder, and some specialized riveting tools

Back
Top Bottom