• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Orange Rant

Ok so yesterday morning was the opener for Deer Shotgun Season in MA. So first light I stumble upon a set of fresh tracks...they broke through the light ice so i know they're fresh and i start following them. after about an hour i hear a whistle. I look around nothing; take another few steps and hear another whistle. So now I'm like ok who is out here and where the hell are they. I look around and then I find him. This Jackwad was up in his climber dress in full camo, NOT ONE SPECK OF ORANGE. And i get that it sucks having the wear it, but there is a reason we ALL have to wear it. And it's not like the guy could've thought that he was safe up in his tree...the bonehead set his stand at the bottom of a slope so he could see the flat area on top of it, which i was come right at him down.

So i move on, and leave the trail is tracking and go wide around him. about 3 hours later I run into that dimwit again; this time he's setup behind a stonewall kneeling on his orange vest...WTF?

I wasn't letting this go a second time; I was in a town that requires landowner permission and since he was on my families property I knew he was on the wrong spot. I kicked his ass out; and if i see him again I’m calling the police on his ass. And he and his buddy were LOUD too. The only deer I saw all day were running away from him.

ahh my first NES rant; I feel better now.

Hunter orange laws SUCK!!!
It's a feel good law that does nothing but promote laziness.
Know what your shooting at... PERIOD!!!

Last edited:
I wonder if the OP knows how many years men have hunted deer with firearms in this country without having to wear orange.

Some people love sucking on that nanny-state teet, and wouldn't know what to do without it.

I wonder if the OP knows how many years men have hunted deer with firearms in this country without having to wear orange.

Some people love sucking on that nanny-state teet, and wouldn't know what to do without it.

Some? Try most.

How is it "sucking on that nanny-state teet" if you want to have a better chance of being seen to NOT be a deer out in the woods? Please explain the logic behind your statement.

How is it "sucking on that nanny-state teet" if you want to have a better chance of being seen to NOT be a deer out in the woods? Please explain the logic behind your statement.

Umm we are forced to wear orange. It's not a CHOICE

If you want the state to make others wear it.

Nope... but I'm grateful when I do see hunters wear it; camouflage DOES work quite well or you wouldn't see soldiers wearing it. I'd hate to, say, miss a shot at a deer but hit the camouflaged hunter beyond him because I didn't see him. Blaze orange may or may not be visible to a deer, but it would sure alert me to not try and make that shot.

There's a LOT of things that I think would be smart to do that I don't want to see the state mandate.

Honestly! How many hunters (or old ladys out walking their dogs) are shot due to being down range from a deer!

MOST if not all people shot during hunting season are from asshats taking sound shots.
Orange would most likely NOT have saved these people.

Nope... but I'm grateful when I do see hunters wear it; camouflage DOES work quite well or you wouldn't see soldiers wearing it. I'd hate to, say, miss a shot at a deer but hit the camouflaged hunter beyond him because I didn't see him. Blaze orange may or may not be visible to a deer, but it would sure alert me to not try and make that shot.

That is the problem. Fudds assume since they can't see orange the shot is safe.

Honestly! How many hunters (or old ladys out walking their dogs) are shot due to being down range from a deer!

MOST if not all people shot during hunting season are from asshats taking sound shots.
Orange would most likely NOT have saved these people.
You don't know that for certain, do you? If I know someone is out there, I'd rather wear the orange and be a bit more visible. Kind of like how I have a lot of reflective tape on my bike - to make myself more visible so I don't get hit by some idiot not paying attention.

That is the problem. Fudds assume since they can't see orange the shot is safe.
I think what I'm saying is that if I DO see orange, I know the shot's NOT safe. I like to think I'd be smart enough to hold off on the trigger if I do see a man-shaped outline beyond my prospective dinner, even it if's NOT wearing orange!

We should probably mandate throttle governors for motorcycles and restrict them to 50 mph, too many dumb ass squids are wadding their bikes.

We should probably mandate throttle governors for motorcycles and restrict them to 50 mph, too many dumb ass squids are wadding their bikes.
Just Marines.*

"Between October 2007 and September 2008, 24 Marines died in combat while 36 died in motorcycle accidents. And 80 percent of those motorcycles were sportbikes."

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/h...ilitary_sportbike_rider_course/#ixzz2DYtTr43t

* Actually not. Accident rates for USA, AF, MC and Navy are 2-3 times that of civilians. A serious problem - even though they are required to wear hi-viz vests.

I look at it like seat belts. Is it probably a good idea, yes, should it be a law, no. I have had idiots stalking me on public land even while wearing orange. To many dumb people in this world that don't (or won't) verify their target and surroundings before pulling the trigger. Thank god I have gotten permission on a piece of private land the past 2 years. My first 2 years deer hunting was on public land and I have only had one potential shot @ a deer as I was walking into my spot. It was in the middle of a widely used trail in and there was no way I would have felt that it was a safe shot. Better to walk out empty handed ( I am getting used to that lol) then to be a moron.

Edit - If I see someone not wearing orange I am going to mmofb.

Last edited:
i can see having to wear orange when moving through the woods but when stationary (in a safe place) its stupid. my uncle used to wear orange realtree & said that deer are color blind. that true?
(found this: http://www.qdma.com/study-materials/what-do-deer-see )

I was under the impression that the whole "deer can't see orange" thing was pretty much settled. From that article you linked:
Deer are essentially red-green color blind like some humans. Their color vision is limited to the short (blue) and middle (green) wavelength colors. As a result, deer likely can distinguish blue from red, but not green from red, or orange from red. Therefore, it appears that hunters would be equally suited wearing green, red, or orange clothing but perhaps slightly disadvantaged wearing blue.

I don't have to wear orange when I go hunting in NY, but I still do... I'm not really concerned about being shot, its more so because I want other hunters to notice me so they can easily avoid me and don't inadvertently try to set up too close to me. I would prefer no orange-law in MA, but I'm not losing any sleep over it at the moment Although, I was a little annoyed when I had to buy a new orange hat because just my vest wasn't good enough.

I dont have to wear blaze orange when i go bowhunting then why do i need to wear it shotgun hunting? more bullshit less intelligence

if youre gonna take a shot at movement without knowing what it is.......youre a complete moron

Well, when I saw the title of this thread, i thought it was going to be a rant about oranges (didn't see it was in the hunting sub-forum) but since I'm here and have taken the time to read the posts, I'm going to rant about my gripe with oranges.

Bought a box of clementines... damn things are chock full of seeds...

ok you can go back to discussing wearing orange while hunting

sorry to interrupt [smile]

Color blind people don't see hunter orange. Learned this from my ice fishing buddy. One day he kept asking if any of his flags were up and after several no's check them your dam self they are bright orange. He stated I can't see them because I'm color blind and if they are up they blend in with the woodline. So he could see the new lime green vest we use for work so I cut mine up and made him some flags. So not everyone can see hunter orange anyhow so why make it a law. How about people don't shoot until you can see your target and positively identify it!

Back
Top Bottom