• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

-

For starters, use some of those sack-ups silicone impregnated gun socks. I've never had guns rust stored in those things.

-Mike

You could do something similar to what I did. I bought a Stack On safe with the combo lock system and found that there was a small gap between the door and the rest of the safe when closed. I took some weather stripping and put it all around the door which created a nice seal. I use these big dessicant cans from Midway that last at least 1-2 weeks in high humidity before needing to be recharged and I find that it has effectively lowered the moisture that makes it in to the safe. This may work for you and you are looking at around $450ish total for the safe, weather stripping and dessicant cans.

If the closet is large enough, you might consider putting a small dehumidifier in the closet with the guns and sealing the doorway to contain the humidity.

Alternatively, get a plastic storage box big enough for your guns, drill a hole in the side, and put a Goldenrod in the box with the guns and plug it in.

I have a lot of moisture in my basement where I store my guns. They are in a locked cabinet, but it is far from weather tight. I have a golden rod and an eva-dry in the cabinet and keep all my guns in silicone gun socks. I do have to oil them from time to time, but with this setup it takes much more than a week. Conversely if I leave them in the foam padded gun cases they will rust in days. See if you can put a lock on that door and get those guns out of the cases. Cases are good for transport but terrible for storage.

Padded gun cases are the worst for this. Better off with nothing than a padded case. Look at either the treated socks or the treated plastic bags made to hold guns. Seal these bags up and you will not have a problem.

mi casa su casa. Brin it over. [smile][smile] Make sure I have a copy of your trigger lock key and access to you ammo stashes. [laugh][laugh]

Back to topics. I think wearing gunsock will help. My mosin has been in the storage case for the whole summer. No problem of rusting. It wear gunsock and a thin coat of CLP. My basement is very humid over the summer.

Before I went to school, I pulled a "russian". I bought some grease, Hoppe's I think. It smells like my basement after the oil boiler is cleaned. I cleaned then coated the guns' metal inside and out with the stuff so that you could see a nice dull smear on the normally shiny blue. Back in the safe and off I went. No rust problems.

Thanks guys. For the time being, Im going to take your advice and buy some sack-ups (found em for $40/6pack) and try to fab something up similar to what RKG said with a large plastic container and throw my two eva dry's in there. Just need to come up with a way give it a better seal and find a way to lock it up

I'm late to the thread.

I had an apartment once in the basement of a house that had terrible humidity. I bought a room dehumidifier and ran it day and night. (You know, the kind with a tank you have to empty.) You should do the same thing for the bedroom in which the firearms are stored. Keep the door closed, so you're only dehumidifying the room. You won't believe how much water gets sucked out.

My basement in my house is really dry, but I still run a dehumidifier in the summer.

I grew up watching my Dad keep his guns rust-free in humid, salty environments - think Hawaii and coastal South Carolina. He had a glass-front wooden gun cabinet and wiped everything down with WD-40. Worked just fine and everything always looked pristine.

If you can't get a new cabinet/safe/whatever, why not just take the foam out of the cases? Just move them gently and put the foam back in if you need to transport.

The WD40 does a nice job for preventing rust but is NOT an oil or a lube. Storage only.

Back
Top Bottom