• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Options for a 454 Casull handgun

Hunts in Weymouth has a Ruger Alaskan snubbie I was looking at today.
As for common ammo, lever guns in 44magnum should be readily available. I BELIEVE that the 454cassul will fire both, if that helps.

Hunts in Weymouth has a Ruger Alaskan snubbie I was looking at today.
As for common ammo, lever guns in 44magnum should be readily available. I BELIEVE that the 454cassul will fire both, if that helps.
I have 2 Alaskans, in both .454 and 44mag. The 454 will fire 45 colt as well, but not 44mag.

Last edited:
The 460xvr will absolutely shoot the 454 round. The only other pistol I would consider is a Ruger SRH in 454 Casull

This^. I've got the SRH in 44 mag and it is so friggen rugged and beefy. I shoot hot 180 gr to 345 gr ammo with no issues. I'd imagine the SRH in 454 Casull would be just as rugged.

Last edited:
Go with the freedom arms .454 casull revolver direct from scenic Wyoming.

http://www.freedomarms.com/

11028728_1.jpg

I had intended to buy a S&W 460.
I had previously bought a S&W M69, which is a total POS.
Rather than rewarding S&W for poor design, workmanship & QC, I bought a 7-1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk, .454 Casull.
The SRH is better made than anything that S&W could do on their best day.

After firing a couple of boxes of factory .454 ammo, I can't imagine needing any more power.
A set of Hogue grips and a good shooting glove keep the SRH manageable for 20 or 25 shots.
The full-house 454 will turn a 2 litre water bottle into a piece of shredded plastic inside of a large cloud of mist.
45 Colt ammo is a lot of fun to plink with.

After putting a few hundred rounds through the SRH, I wouldn't trade it for a S&W 460.

Jack

I have the SRH Alaskan in 454 as well, and it's awesome. I didn't like the look of the full size ones, so went with the shorty.

What lever action do you have btw? I've been thinking about getting one in 454 too

A couple of years ago my father-in-law had this very question. He got in his head that he wanted a .454 Casull and was looking at a Taurus(!). I did a little research for him and asked around which led him to land on the S&W 460. He hasn't looked back. Our new favorite thing is to load it up with the "460 Trifecta". One round each of .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and S&W 460 fired in quick succession.

http://www.freedomarms.com/ 12 month backorder

Model 83 Premier Grade w Optional 10" Octagonal Barrel, I may consider selling it !

Hits clay pigeons on a berm at 50yds with Horady 300g XTP's 1800fps and a glove

FA1a.jpg FA2a.jpg FA3a.jpg FA4a.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of years ago my father-in-law had this very question. He got in his head that he wanted a .454 Casull and was looking at a Taurus(!). I did a little research for him and asked around which led him to land on the S&W 460. He hasn't looked back. Our new favorite thing is to load it up with the "460 Trifecta". One round each of .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and S&W 460 fired in quick succession.

I do that all the time but did not know it had a name and was called Trifecta.
I already had a S&W 500, so I did not want another full size or X frame as it is also called.
I tell you I have no regrets with my purchase, here is the business end.

Dean

The Ruger SRH 454 Casull is made of a much tougher stainless alloy than the 44 mag version. 454 operates at rifle level pressures like 62,000 psi.
I have a 454 7 1/2" barrel and even with it being MagNaPorting it still a handful.

It's interesting that the .460 S&W is advertised as being able to shoot the "lighter rounds" of .454 Casull and .45 Colt. Nothing like having a hand cannon! [laugh]

• Lighter Loads That The 460 Will Also Fire Include .45 Colt and .454 Casull

I'd love to shoot a 454 or 460 or 500. I can't say I want to own one as my hot 44 mag loads from my SRH are enough recoil for my needs[laugh] Feeding the SRH is about all I care to spend on ammo too (even considering my costs to reload). But maybe someday I'll change my tune and jump into the next category of magnum revolvers.

I'd love to shoot a 454 or 460 or 500. I can't say I want to own one as my hot 44 mag loads from my SRH are enough recoil for my needs[laugh] Feeding the SRH is about all I care to spend on ammo too (even considering my costs to reload). But maybe someday I'll change my tune and jump into the next category of magnum revolvers.

Ive been on the same boat. My hot .44 MAG reloads are plenty oomph but at the same time Id love a 460xvr.

I do that all the time but did not know it had a name and was called Trifecta.
I already had a S&W 500, so I did not want another full size or X frame as it is also called.
I tell you I have no regrets with my purchase, here is the business end.

Dean

You didn't know its name because I made it up!

This is a great solution for the amateur recoil junkie.

This is a great video to watch on the 454. Even Hickok says it kicks more than his 500.
[video=youtube_share;ll--DXOWPyA]http://youtu.be/ll--DXOWPyA[/video]

Damn.....what did I get myself into...[laugh]

So it looks like a Smith or Ruger. The Freedom arms is a nice gun for sure but I don't think I want to shell out over $2K for one! Looks like I'll be going the pre-owned route when the time comes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom