• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

options for a 22lr

my girlfriend really doesnt enjoy shooting anything larger than a 22. so im thinking for christmas ill buy myself/her a 22lr of some sort. some of my options are:

ruger sr22

S&W mp22

mp 15-22

browning buckmark

ruger mark II/III

i have a lower receiver on order from psa should hopefully be here before xmas. so i was thinking instead of a 223 upper ill buy a dpms 22lr upper

cmmg 22 lr upper

savage bolt action.

ive read reviews on everyone of these and i really like the dpms idea. i have the chance to buy an sr 22 for 230$ looking for input from people who have experience with any of these choices.

I have a SR22 pistol and 10/22 riffle, both are awesome to shoot, for 20 bucks you can send a couple hundred rounds down range with a smile.

Tim [grin]

Last edited:
Build a dedicated AR15 in .22LR.

I have a 16" M4 CMMG 1:16 barrel, and a chrome 22 bolt. I built it out into a full AR.

It's epic.

I think the big question is, what does she like to shoot? Handgun? Revolver/semi? Rifle? Bolt/semi? I think you'll get better feedback if you get a bit more input from her.

That said, others have named several you can't go wrong with. I only just bought a 10/22 rifle, and don't know why I waited so long, other than the fact that I love bolt action.
I have heard nothing but good things about the SR22, though I've not used one myself, so if you have a good line on one, go for it. I do have a Sig mosquito, which I would NOT recommend, as I apparently got the only good one ever made. (Mine will shoot anything, every other one I've tried chokes constantly).

Either way, 22 is a great way to plink... it's cheap and fun for all levels of shooters. I always bring one 22 along when I go to a fun-shoot.

Last edited:
my girlfriend really doesnt enjoy shooting anything larger than a 22. so im thinking for christmas ill buy myself/her a 22lr of some sort. some of my options are:

ruger sr22

S&W mp22

mp 15-22

browning buckmark

ruger mark II/III

i have a lower receiver on order from psa should hopefully be here before xmas. so i was thinking instead of a 223 upper ill buy a dpms 22lr upper

cmmg 22 lr upper

savage bolt action.

ive read reviews on everyone of these and i really like the dpms idea. i have the chance to buy an sr 22 for 230$ looking for input from people who have experience with any of these choices.

For whatever my opinion is worth:

I have an M&P15-22, a Buckmark Target, (3) 10/22s and a Savage Mk2. (plus a Walther p22 and probably one or two others in .22 if I think about it)

I probably shoot the 15-22 the most.
The Savage is easily the most accurate.
The 10/22s are a Takedown, a factory Target model and a stainless. They are 10/22s.. what's not to love??

For the pistols - to be honest I don't often shoot the Buckmark but I adore it when I do. In my case it's -HEAVY-. It's a wonderful piece, but you don't just throw it in a bag and beat on it (mine at least).

I love my P22. And have shot an SR22 and if I had a choice it would be based purely on which one is cheaper.

As for converting an upper on a standard AR.. I thought about it, but why run the dirty .22lr ammo through the gun. Fight with magazines or just hope you get a good setup when you can buy a 15-22 (or something similar) for such short money?! I got my 15-22 from a green member for $325 with 2-3 magazines.

I dunno.. these are just my observations.

Also.. I generally prefer the rifles in .22 as there is no need for hearing protection. I can just step on the deck and blam away. Or even in a group of people with 22 rifles... I have had louder cars.. ya know?

Has she expressed a preference between pistols and rifles? My personal experience is a lot of women tend to shy away from rifles. Maybe they assume the bigger the gun, the bigger the bang? [smile] An ar upper in 22lr is fun to shoot. The first rifle I shot was a 10/22 and I didnt want to put it down. Good rifle for someone to learn and develop skills with.

Ive owned both the sr-22 and mkII. Both are fun to shoot. My personal experience is the mkII is more reliable. Not to say the sr is unreliable, just had the occasional jam here and there, but I dont ever remember the mkII ever having a malfunction. The sr is smaller though, so maybe easier for someone with smaller hands to shoot. All comes down to what her preferences are I would say.

I have a pair of Marlin 795's my daughters use and love. Two daughters, two guns, no arguing, but that's another story.... Both were under $200 including decent scopes, both are capable of quarter-mile groups at 25 yards and break clays (and pieces) at 100.

I bought my girlfriend a ruger MKII for her birthday, she loves it. Error free, not NEARLY as big a deal to clean as many will say.

I also have a GP100 which she loves. 6" barrel soaks up the recoil, grip fits her well, she likes it more (a LOT more!) than my xD45, 1911 Para or Chief's Special 45.

You and your lady are welcome to join me or us at my club (Westford) any time to try any or all of them.

Buy a CZ. I have a 452 Varmint (in .17 mach 2). The 455 Tacticool Varmint looks good to me if I were in the market for another one.
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rimfire-rifles/
7259b0d7c8e99bf145c1e5e01e6ed0f0.png

White Feather

maybe start with a safer, less expensive bolt .22, then move onto a semi-auto like the mk III or sr-22. avoid sig 22 mosquito

i would join you but im in idaho

Lol, forumrunner doesn't show locations :)
I'll second the Sig mosquito comment... Although I've heard from people that have guns that work, the one I have sucked balls even after two trips back to Sig. I traded it (with full disclosure and the original work orders) for a shotgun, would have happily traded it for a decent slingshot and a handful of rocks:)

You can't go wrong with the SR 22 it will shoot just about any manufacture's round. As for rifle's the 10/22 is a solid choice plus Four seasons has them for $220. They also have a deal going on for the 15/22 where you get a free box of Federal 325 if you buy the gun. I'm not sure what the price for the package is though.

The Ruger MKIII or MKII or Ruger 22/45 MKIII will give you a bit more accuracy. You'll need to find a used one because Ruger decided that they're no longer MA compliant. Just do the mod of removing the mag safety on any MKIII, easy & inexpensive, and you'll have a nice reliable, accurate pistol.

For more dough you can get the S&W 617 or the Ruger SP101 revolvers. Nice guns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom