Optics, what's your preference for your rifles?

Are you a red dot only shooter? Prism only? Just irons? Or sitting in with the LPVO/MPVO camp?

I'm more of a red dot only person myself. Possibly considering a Trijicon TR24 with the red triangle and mounted to a Scalarworks LEAP/08 for either of the two pictured. I am not a fan of the LPVO or MPVO at all because of the weight penalties they bring when humping a rifle all day at the ready line or hunting out and about, but when I can get one to be superlight and not crap either then I am interested in finding out out if I really can have both (red dot with a variable zoom that's stupid simple.

Anyway these are my current ride or die SHTF rifles. About to mount another Surefire MD and had both out so I took a picture for the attention, as it got me thinking to start off with a friendly question among my fellow riflemen in here.

20220505_201438.jpg

Nothing, huh? Okay then...
not sure what to say.
i have a red dot, 3x prism, 2 LPVOs, 3-9x, 4-12x, 3-18x and 5-25x on my rifles, 9 of them now.
10th is incoming, will get 5-25x in 56mm.

of what you have on the pictures i would put a 3x prism due to my astigmatism. one i got is shootable fine with both eyes open on short distances as well, but, obviously, less convenient to track than a 1x red dot. ymmv.
the choice of 3x+ for me on a rifle is due to a 0 probability for me to operate anymore in a close combat with anything, ever. i am not a 20yr old one anymore for that. if i will have to use it, it will be from a far.

like it was in the other thread - a 1x prism/dot plus magnifier is what you want?

I'd love to have an opinion on this topic, but I don't have any place to shoot that would require anything more than irons or a 1x red dot as far as distance is concerned. That said, I am very curious about Primary Arms SLx 1X prism scope and may end up picking one of those up.

I run an eotech w/3x magnifier on my main gat. I run a romeo 5/juliet 3x on my backup gat. I run an acog/rmr combo on my sopmod m4forgery. I run LPVO's and variable power scopes with 45 degree irons on everything with an 18" or 20" heavy barrel.

Nothing wrong with any of them, just what you prefer or what's fit for purpose. I find the red dot with magnifier to be pretty versatile for a carbine.

Looking at picking up my first LPVO optic soon. Thinking I'll mount it on my short AR10 build (pistol setup just because I CAN). I do have dots, plus irons, on some of the builds. Scopes on more longer range rifles. I do have one flip magnifier that will get mounted onto a build at some point (along with the matching dot). Depending on how I like that, will determine IF I get any more.

I was able to get repeatable steel plate hits at 400 yds with my AUG using my Kahles red dot. The glass clarity is awesome but you would probably hope so since it's not a $50 Bushnell or a Chinese optic. I'm generally a red dot guy but I do have one holographic sight I haven't played around with much and also a Meopta (Czech company) LPVO I haven't played around with enough yet (1-6x).

LPVOs are very nice. At 0-75 yds I prefer a red dot.

I also have a Trijicon RMR on my HK VP9 and as I get more comfortable with it, I really like it. The speed of target acquisition is awesome.

That said, my "collection" is 82% irons at this point, which isn't surprising since it's weighted fairly heavily to milsurps.

I have an aimpoint holographic on one of my ARs. The other has irons. I prefer no magnification on this type of rifle. I don't use them as target rifles. I shoot and train as if it was a battle rifle.
My bench guns have Nikon BDC 6-24X.
Most of my 22s have irons excepting the Kimber which has a 10x Nikon.
My Marlin 336 has a 4x Redfield that i put on for silhouette shoots and i grew to like it for hunting as well. I was never a fan of open sights.

repeatable steel plate hits at 400 yds with my AUG using my Kahles red dot
it is a million times simper to do that with a BDC reticle on a prism, even with a 1x prism. just need to get a reticle that matches the ammo well.
a dot is just a dot, after all.

Depends on the use cases of the rifle.

General purpose though is LPVO. The increased capabilities are well worth the weight penalty. The weight is over the receiver, not the end of the barrel. If it’s too heavy because of an LPVO, get stronger. You’re not going to be walking around at the high ready with a long Costa-like c-grips all the time. Need to be at the high ready for extended periods and the rifle is getting heavy? Just hold the magwell. That’s what everyone ends up doing after clearing buildings for hours. It’s not tactical-Timmy Instagram worthy, but it gets the job done when you’re doing some marathon gunning.

And even if you’re only shooting out to 100, magnification helps. Not all, or even most, targets are going to be full silhouette size. If you need to shoot something, it’s probably going to have limited exposure, like just a head. Or it will be game that you want to hit in a small vital zone. If you encounter an immediate threat in front of you and you are armed with a rifle, you done messed up. But even if you did, LPVOs still work well up close.

Further, “Clearing rooms” is such a limited and dangerous use case. You should avoid doing so at all costs. I wouldn’t base optic selection on it, especially since modern LPVOs are very capable up close. But offset red dots work too if you want. I’d only be running a dedicated red dot if I were in a military or LE unit with a specific mission of conducting raids in buildings.

I prefer BDC over mil or MOA gradients for most shooting. Just know your drops and adjust your zero by an inch or so high or low accordingly if the BDC is for a different weapon/ammo type. Mil trees are nice for precision work though, or calibers that really don’t align with available BDCs no matter how you zero..

And I prefer reticles that can be easily seen at 1x without illumination. The old ACSS reticles were poor in this regard because it was just a floating circle with tiny chevron. Generally, tall duplex or German style as a base are good.

Prisms with BDCs are simple and nice, and I love the field of view of the ACOG, but the lack of diopter adjustment makes it a no-go for me now. My old deployment ACOG sits in storage for memories. I mean, my eyes aren’t that bad and it would still work fine, but it’s not ideal.

I will add that I have a TR24, with German #4. It’s nice and light. The fiber optic isn’t as bright as my ACOG, but it’s bright enough. The triangle post will be plenty bright. However, the TR24 has a fairly narrow field of view. It’s very much looking through a tube. I’m thinking about taking the slight weight penalty and replacing it with a 1-6x TR25 with mil crosshair reticle. Much better field of view with the scope body disappearing while looking through it and apparently a easier magnification throw. Plus, mil dots can function as BDC out to 500 with 5.56. 1 mil = 300 yards, 2 mil = 400 yards, 3 mil = 500 yards.

Last edited:
I'd love to have an opinion on this topic, but I don't have any place to shoot that would require anything more than irons or a 1x red dot as far as distance is concerned. That said, I am very curious about Primary Arms SLx 1X prism scope and may end up picking one of those up.
I have one on my sig 556 and I love it. The only problem I had is that I had to mount it so low to be able to co-witness with the front iron and work with my cheek weld on the stock, The sight blade obscures the reticle. I had to punch out the front sight, I need to pick up a set of flip up irons but they're a tad pricey for the 556. I think there's only one company that makes them. I'll post a pic later.

I suffer from a slight astigmatism and wear contacts. Any red dot I've looked at usually looks more like a starfish than a dot, aimpoint however is the best I've seen to my eyes. The reticle on my slx-1 prism is as clear as day, I love it. It's probably the first sight I've used that could get me completely off of red dots. No batteries, no problem, you still have a functional sight. And in the bright sun I kind of like having the black reticle over a red dot. If you use a good WML at night within reasonable distance it illuminates enough so that you can still see the reticle clearly. I can say that the YouTube videos showing the reticle don't do it justice, when you see it with your own eyes and set the diopter it's sooo much better. Just need to get a flip up front iron and this girl's GTG, I love this rifle, eats anything you can feed it.
PXL_20220506_191407852.jpg
PXL_20220506_191607085.jpg

I have one on my sig 556 and I love it. The only problem I had is that I had to mount it so low to be able to co-witness with the front iron and work with my cheek weld on the stock, The sight blade obscures the reticle. I had to punch out the front sight, I need to pick up a set of flip up irons but they're a tad pricey for the 556. I think there's only one company that makes them. I'll post a pic later.

The astigmatism you mentioned is the exact reason I'm interested. Funny...I've gone my whole life so far without knowing what an astigmatism was until noticing I saw starbust red dots. Prior to that, the only other time I'd even notice it was at night while driving. Oncoming lights would starburst, but I just assumed everyone saw them that way. I was ignorant to my own vision issue.

About prism sights though...is there any real world adjustment in use when it comes to eye relief or parallax?

is there any real world adjustment in use when it comes to eye relief or parallax?
i do not understand what you mean - but you can order them from amazon and try for yourself, and return back, if it will not work out.
there is little more there than one can do, as all that is very personal, what works out and what doesn't.

i do not understand what you mean - but you can order them from amazon and try for yourself, and return back, if it will not work out.
there is little more there than one can do, as all that is very personal, what works out and what doesn't.

Upshot to red dots is that their extremely simple design (just a tube with glass on both ends, for the most part) means they are practically parallax free and offer virtually unlimited eye relief. That's not so true with multi-element scopes or prism lenses or anything with an etched reticle. But considering 1X prism scopes are on the simpler end of design, they should be more generous than most non-red dot scopes. So my question is "how generous"?

The astigmatism you mentioned is the exact reason I'm interested. Funny...I've gone my whole life so far without knowing what an astigmatism was until noticing I saw starbust red dots. Prior to that, the only other time I'd even notice it was at night while driving. Oncoming lights would starburst, but I just assumed everyone saw them that way. I was ignorant to my own vision issue.

About prism sights though...is there any real world adjustment in use when it comes to eye relief or parallax?
Yes, there is a diopter that you adjust so your dominant eye can focus to the reticle. It works the exact same way that a traditional scope diopter works, The only difference is instead of a crosshair the SLX1 uses the Chevron style ranging reticle like an acog. There is no parallax adjustment, I've shot mine from 25 to 200 yards and not had an issue with parallax. The eye relief is also extremely generous with the SLX1 as it's a 1x optic

Eye relief is just what the optic gives you.

Supposedly the ACOG is parallax free on one axis, but I can’t say I’ve confirmed it. I’ve never seen an adjustable parallax on prism optics. It’s always been fixed at 100 or 125 yards or so.

Supposedly the ACOG is parallax free on one axis, but I can’t say I’ve confirmed it. I’ve never seen an adjustable parallax on prism optics. It’s always been fixed at 100 or 125 yards or so.
Ya, parallax is usually just referred to as "infinite" and has no adjustability on these types of sights. The only adjustability is the diopter which is for focusing the reticle to your eye.

If I shoulder the rifle in my house and look at a wall that's 10ft in front of me or look at a target 200yrds out the reticle and target is still in focus. Generally the same way a red dot works

I think I more confused everyone on what I was asking than be of any actual input help on this one.

I probably wasn't very clear on it, but I was only wondering about eye relief and parallax for the Primary Arms SLx 1X prism, because it seems like a good substitute for a red dot for someone like me with an astigmatism. So specifically, how's eye relief on that model?

And I know the SLx doesn't have adjustable parallax. I was just curious if one could even notice it. I mean, it has to have it considering the design and etched reticle, but it could very well be practically unnoticeable.

If I shoulder the rifle in my house and look at a wall that's 10ft in front of me or look at a target 200yrds out the reticle and target is still in focus. Generally the same way a red dot works
Yeah, that’s the diopter. With parallax fixed at ~100 yards, the image will get a little more blurry out at 600 and beyond. But that’s not really an issue with 1x.

I think I more confused everyone on what I was asking than be of any actual input help on this one.

I probably wasn't very clear on it, but I was only wondering about eye relief and parallax for the Primary Arms SLx 1X prism, because it seems like a good substitute for a red dot for someone like me with an astigmatism. So specifically, how's eye relief on that model?

And I know the SLx doesn't have adjustable parallax. I was just curious if one could even notice it. I mean, it has to have it considering the design and etched reticle, but it could very well be practically unnoticeable.
Eye relief is reportedly better than what they advertise. But it’s not good enough to use it way out in front like a scout optic on an M1 carbine handguard cover if that’s what you want. But you can run it way out at the front of an AR receiver.

Depends on the use cases of the rifle.

General purpose though is LPVO. The increased capabilities are well worth the weight penalty. The weight is over the receiver, not the end of the barrel. If it’s too heavy because of an LPVO, get stronger. You’re not going to be walking around at the high ready with a long Costa-like c-grips all the time. Need to be at the high ready for extended periods and the rifle is getting heavy? Just hold the magwell. That’s what everyone ends up doing after clearing buildings for hours. It’s not tactical-Timmy Instagram worthy, but it gets the job done when you’re doing some marathon gunning.
Case use is everything. Absolutism however, is not.

The LPVO is subjective and not really a do all. The ACOG piggybacking an RMR, is an actual do all. If you can't use them because of your aging eyes, it is not the ACOG's fault at all, so we may as well call the LPVO the answer for the unhealthy and the old. The TA31 brings extended PID and enables precision shooting. The RMR on top brings both passive aiming and a more heads up position for CQB. The system there isn't broken unless the person doing the critiquing is the one that's already been broken themselves.

Now for the weight argument you seemed to key on my words as if it was a slight: What if you're already stronger and still can't defeat the inevitability called muscle failure? Hint, get SMARTER and reduce the weight that the solution to a problem that was never needed by me unless again, you have old eyes that can't see as good anymore. Because as of yesterday, today, and the future, both muscle failure and aging eyes happening is a when and not an if. That's the only absolute there is here, friend.

Magwell grips is not effective. Unstable and about as useless as the archaic persons out of the action still trying to instruct in it's use. If you're fatigued from the modern thumb over bore, there's the VFG to be used as a hand stop. You can thumb over bore with it and not be as fatigued, and when getting tired use it as a thumb break.

I suggest taking some courses to refresh yourself, because we as riflemen either evolve or we're becoming stagnant and stuck in our old ways. The way is forward, not backwards.

Finally, I created this thread to see what everyone likes, not to be sniped at for my own opinions that is you're finding to be contrarian to yours. Remember, we're both on the same side, treat it as such and please show respect as you're not the only BTDT shooter here.

Case use is everything. Absolutism however, is not.

The LPVO is subjective and not really a do all. The ACOG piggybacking an RMR, is an actual do all. If you can't use them because of your aging eyes, it is not the ACOG's fault at all, so we may as well call the LPVO the answer for the unhealthy and the old. The TA31 brings extended PID and enables precision shooting. The RMR on top brings both passive aiming and a more heads up position for CQB. The system there isn't broken unless the person doing the critiquing is the one that's already been broken themselves.

Now for the weight argument you seemed to key on my words as if it was a slight: What if you're already stronger and still can't defeat the inevitability called muscle failure? Hint, get SMARTER and reduce the weight that the solution to a problem that was never needed by me unless again, you have old eyes that can't see as good anymore. Because as of yesterday, today, and the future, both muscle failure and aging eyes happening is a when and not an if. That's the only absolute there is here, friend.

Magwell grips is not effective. Unstable and about as useless as the archaic persons out of the action still trying to instruct in it's use. If you're fatigued from the modern thumb over bore, there's the VFG to be used as a hand stop. You can thumb over bore with it and not be as fatigued, and when getting tired use it as a thumb break.

I suggest taking some courses to refresh yourself, because we as riflemen either evolve or we're becoming stagnant and stuck in our old ways. The way is forward, not backwards.

Finally, I created this thread to see what everyone likes, not to be sniped at for my own opinions that is you're finding to be contrarian to yours. Remember, we're both on the same side, treat it as such and please show respect as you're not the only BTDT shooter here.
Haha dude. Feel personally attacked, much? You asked what I used. I told you and shared my personal reasons why I use it. Feel free to provide counter arguments to my reasoning without getting butt-hurt.

My posted opinion comes from lots of experience using a rifle for rifle things off the range. Do with my opinion as you wish.

I constantly rethink what works and what doesn’t. But if you’ve never spent hours clearing buildings, then I would refrain from poo-pooing the magwell grip outright. It shouldn’t be your first go-to grip, but it’s what you’re going to be reverting to after hours and hours of use at the high-ready non-stop, even if your gun only has a red dot on it. It’s not about thumb over bore, it’s about how far your arm is from the fulcrum(shoulder) of the gun’s lever.

Edit to add discussion: shaving pointless weight is great. But shaving weight for the sake of shaving weight, at the cost of capability, is not the smarter route.

And P.S., I was using an ACOG with a Docter sight on top back in 2007, so the concept isn’t new to me. 😘

Last edited:
Haha dude. Feel personally attacked, much? You asked what I used. I told you and shared my personal reasons why I use it. Feel free to provide counter arguments to my reasoning without getting butt-hurt.

My posted opinion comes from lots of experience using a rifle for rifle things off the range. Do with my opinion as you wish.

I constantly rethink what works and what doesn’t. But if you’ve never spent hours clearing buildings, then I would refrain from poo-pooing the magwell grip outright. It shouldn’t be your first go-to grip, but it’s what you’re going to be reverting to after hours and hours of use at the high-ready non-stop, even if your gun only has a red dot on it. It’s not about thumb over bore, it’s about how far your arm is from the fulcrum(shoulder) of the gun’s lever.

Edit to add discussion: shaving pointless weight is great. But shaving weight for the sake of shaving weight, at the cost of capability, is not the smarter route.

And P.S., I was using an ACOG with a Docter sight on top back in 2007, so the concept isn’t new to me. 😘
Project much? If you weren't triggered by my comment on the needless weight that I wasn't a fan of, then you wouldn't have said to get stronger now would you? Exactly. Just calling a spade a spade, friend.

By the way, there's absolutely zero need to counter argue what one [prefers because you can still prefer something without trying to snipe at the same time.

FYI, my posted opinion also comes from three decades of experience so there's that, do with as you wish also.

Absolutely no one is teaching the magwell grip these days, and these guys have actually done several hours clearing buildings. So if you consider that to be poo pooing, then you are not rethinking at all and have remained stagnant to the old school way of yesteryear. And speaking of which, your fulcrum is for the older style angled outwards and a fully extended stock that went away instead of further, the modern way is closer using less of stock extended while still giving a correct LOP by rotating your grip upwards and arm bent at 90 degrees until the stock touches, you are therefore much closer to the gun and can now extend out with little effort meaning less fatigue.

Your opinion is your own but there is no lost capability by either selecting a red dot or a prism. That's just the opinion of a confirmation biased person being ignorant to any other idea but his own. In my experience, decades worth, I'd rather have lightweight because weight actually matters and it's smarter to do what's best for me at no loss of capability. I choose function over form.

By the way as well, I was using an issued ACOG RCO by 2003 and an Aimpoint CQO before that, so as I've said before you're not the only one who's done this ;)

Thank you your internet service though, wasn't called for or needed. I just asked what everyone preferred and gave my example of one that was benign, and was sniped for it.

Back
Top Bottom