Optics, what's your preference for your rifles?

so, calling @cathouse01 :)

arken sh4 6-24 had arrived. so far cannot say much. it did fit well on their 20moa mount i got with a previous arken - it was too high for a bolt gun, but did fit perfectly on an AR10.
from very preliminary diffs from EP5 scope - i feel that the eyebox at 24x is tighter by some amount. cannot say more until i get both rifles side by side at a range.

View attachment 630841
My SH 6-24 just arrived yesterday. Other than taking it out of the box and checking it over, haven’t done anything with it. Looks like a good solid build. Definitely a smallish eye box at 24X, but the only thing I have to compare it to that goes to that high of magnification is my Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56, which cost way more. I’ve decided to put it on the SCAR 17 to compare it to the Trijicon TenMile I also just got. Right now the SCAR has a Trijicon 1-8x28 AccuPower (replaced by the Credo, but basically the same) on it. Out of the box it certainly appears to be well worth the $325. One thing I immediately noticed (because it’s a thing with me) is that the click marks on the turrets lined up exactly with the index mark on the tube. I really hate it when the turret marks just don’t quite line up with the index marks. It just seems sloppy and shows a lack of attention to detail.

While I was swapping barrels, I decided to give the AR10 a paint job. Stacked up some Aervoe Earth Drab before they were gone. May add some greens later. But the optic stays unpainted until I decide to keep it or not.

View attachment 630693
I'm waiting on a couple parts to get in for my 308 build and you're getting me all hot and bothered.

so, calling @cathouse01

arken sh4 6-24 had arrived. so far cannot say much. it did fit well on their 20moa mount i got with a previous arken - it was too high for a bolt gun, but did fit perfectly on an AR10.
from very preliminary diffs from EP5 scope - i feel that the eyebox at 24x is tighter by some amount. cannot say more until i get both rifles side by side at a range.

View attachment 630841
Stabbing your coffee table...

Stabbing your coffee table...
indeed, that table saw quite a bit. there are some burn marks on it as well. i plan to refinish it one day, but that day is yet to come.
i prefer it as is, as i can work anything on it.

My SH 6-24 just arrived yesterday. Other than taking it out of the box and checking it over, haven’t done anything with it. Looks like a good solid build. Definitely a smallish eye box at 24X, but the only thing I have to compare it to that goes to that high of magnification is my Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56, which cost way more. I’ve decided to put it on the SCAR 17 to compare it to the Trijicon TenMile I also just got. Right now the SCAR has a Trijicon 1-8x28 AccuPower (replaced by the Credo, but basically the same) on it. Out of the box it certainly appears to be well worth the $325. One thing I immediately noticed (because it’s a thing with me) is that the click marks on the turrets lined up exactly with the index mark on the tube. I really hate it when the turret marks just don’t quite line up with the index marks. It just seems sloppy and shows a lack of attention to detail.
lousy iphone did not focus properly on the left image, on the EP5. it still gives an idea. 56mm tube has a clear advantage. magnification is also, well, tricky - as 24x vs 25x should not have been so different. yet, it is what it is.

the lower right benchrest target on EP5 had all the concentric thin lines perfectly visible. the SH4 - did not. SH4 is on par with pst2 vortex, i would say, may be a bit better.
would be interesting to get a razor somewhere for a comparison side by side.

all that is only visible at 300 - at 100 there was nothing to see difference wise. for a $350 - again, an excellent scope. but, one is enough. if i would need an another one in 25x - it will be an EP5. narrower eyebox is not in the way to be a problem, but to take a picture with a phone it immediately became obvious - as i did not struggle at all to get image on ep5, but on sh4 i had to hover the phone around for a good while until i got into the focus spot.

IMG-1445.jpg

a 200% screenshot:
1656522595373.png

For Christ sakes doesn’t anyone run an ACOG anymore?
If the Aurora ACSS version was still made I would probably have one on an upper. But Trijicon and Primary Arms (likely Dimitri himself) had a falling out. It’s a shame because it was a nice update to the ACOG reticle.

If the Aurora ACSS version was still made I would probably have one on an upper. But Trijicon and Primary Arms (likely Dimitri himself) had a falling out. It’s a shame because it was a nice update to the ACOG reticle.
It sure did spice things up a bit and was pretty cool while it lasted.

That's the reticle in the ACOG I have on the MCX. It works much better now that I've had my cataracts done.

Different strokes for different folks. If you like running and optic and then adding a clumsy magnifier to it and introducing another potential point of failure then so be it.
Whats clumsy about a quality magnifier?
They lock into position tight and stay in the out of the way position tight.

I have a 3x magnifier (Holosun) coming for one of my builds to mate with a Holosun dot. I'm planning to swap that for the 1-6 Vortex Strike Eagle (SFP) that's on that build now. The LVPO will probably go on my 300blk carbine build... That's the last build I have (completed) without an optic on it. Still need to figure out what I'll put on the 6.5 Grendel upper (18" barrel).

I have a 3x magnifier (Holosun) coming for one of my builds to mate with a Holosun dot. I'm planning to swap that for the 1-6 Vortex Strike Eagle (SFP) that's on that build now. The LVPO will probably go on my 300blk carbine build... That's the last build I have (completed) without an optic on it. Still need to figure out what I'll put on the 6.5 Grendel upper (18" barrel).
a valid good question to ask yourself on all that - what can you hit with a magnifier on compared to when it is off and on what distance - considering it is just a singular red dot, not a BDC reticle?

a magnifier behind a 1x prism would make more practical sense, but it makes it all too damn heavy. anyway, to each his own.

a valid good question to ask yourself on all that - what can you hit with a magnifier on compared to when it is off and on what distance - considering it is just a singular red dot, not a BDC reticle?

a magnifier behind a 1x prism would make more practical sense, but it makes it all too damn heavy. anyway, to each his own.
You do have to be careful when trying to run a magnifier with a 1X prism. There are two things you need to consider:
  1. Both the magnifier and the prism will have their own eye relief (red dots normally have unlimited eye relief). So you'll need to position the magnifier far enough forward on the rail so that you're in its eye box. This will often force the 1x prism (which must be in front of the magnifier) so far out on the rail that you will beyond its eye relief limits.
  2. If you need to use the diopter adjustment (mostly because you'er far sighted), it's pretty hard to get it so that you don't have to futz with the prism's diopter when you swing the magnifier in and out of the optical path. Again, a problem a "plain red dot" doesn't have since they don't have a diopter adjustment.
It can be done, but there are many combinations of magnifier and 1x prism that just can't be made to work. For example, Vortex explicitly states that their Spitfire AR 1x prism is not compatible with any of their magnifiers.

Back
Top Bottom