• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Optics for my AR-15

What do you guys recommend? I was thinking red dot, then maybe a scope, then maybe a red dot with a magnifier? So which should I get? I need something that I can mount at lower 1/3 with a fixed front sight like on an M&P 15 Sport. Not shooting out past probably 100 yards, and not hunting with it.

if inside of 100, stick with irons and/or red dot. if you want a scope take a look at a variable power like a 1-4.

plenty of other threads on this topic. im too lazy to search and link though

my only thought is.... red dot at 100 yards good for hits on torso size targets. Most red dots will cover 4-6" at 100 yards.
The A2 sights on the AR are great and can be very accurate. I would go with a RRA or WOA carry handle with match A2 sights

Learn to shoot the irons, figure out your limitations, then buy an optic to match the style of shooting you want to do: Red dot or 1-4x for steel or magnified optic for groups on paper.

attachment.jpg I like 1-4 for 100 and under, most of these also have an Illuminated reticle like a red dot or One of my Fav's the Millett which has a small circle. I love my Red Dot at 100 for quick shooting at steel but if you are looking to hit some targets and "Take aim" I say a 1-4 or 1-6

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/ar-sights-series/ar-536
Just bought this about 2 months ago and I love it. The center dots a can be a little big when your trying to hit smaller targets at 100+ yds but it's not meant to be a precision type scope
I have one of these. It is a good optic that works well inside 50 yards because the reticle allows (for me) for quick target acquisition and also, in my experience, out to 200 yards. I also have a Millet DMS-1 that is fantastic.

Just get yourself an ACOG. Buy once, cry once.
Seriously the best optic I've used. I hated magnified red dots. Aimpoint pro is nice if you don't need magnification. Vortex strikefire is a nice budget option in that realm too.

Seriously the best optic I've used. I hated magnified red dots. Aimpoint pro is nice if you don't need magnification. Vortex strikefire is a nice budget option in that realm too.
Better yet, and ACOG with a co-witnessed red dot sight for the quick in close shots.

I have one of these. It is a good optic that works well inside 50 yards because the reticle allows (for me) for quick target acquisition and also, in my experience, out to 200 yards. I also have a Millet DMS-1 that is fantastic.

Ya I absolutely love it inside 100yds for hitting steel but further out the center dot covers up 5 inch circle steel plates I wish they went with something like the eotech center dot instead then this scope would be perfect

for inside 150 yards, RDS all day long. there are so many excellent RDS options nowadays it's staggering. Carl at FS has the vortex sparc AR for $200 which is the same as online price (opticsplanet, amazon). my experience w it so far has been excellent and seems super rugged. i'm not too familiar w vortex products but becoming a fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well if we're going to jump to buy once cry once category then I'd go for the Elcan DR 1-4. [laugh]

the PST looks very nice. i have no experience w that particular model. my experience w 1-4x scope has been limited to a nikon M 223. while it had great eye relief on 1x, it still wasn't quite like an RDS in terms of speed and easy of use. then the 4x wasn't enough to reach out past 300 yards for targets less than 12" (at least for me). however i may be in the minority here as many others dig the 1-4x platform.

nowadays i've just settled on 3 types of optics for my personal taste:
-RDS for 0-150 yards or speed
-fixed 3x or 4x for 150-300 yards
-3-9 or higher for 300+ yards or anything needing "precision" or shooting for groups

the PST looks very nice. i have no experience w that particular model. my experience w 1-4x scope has been limited to a nikon M 223. while it had great eye relief on 1x, it still wasn't quite like an RDS in terms of speed and easy of use. then the 4x wasn't enough to reach out past 300 yards for targets less than 12" (at least for me). however i may be in the minority here as many others dig the 1-4x platform.

nowadays i've just settled on 3 types of optics for my personal taste:
-RDS for 0-150 yards or speed
-fixed 3x or 4x for 150-300 yards
-3-9 or higher for 300+ yards or anything needing "precision" or shooting for groups

RDS system doesn't work terrifically for me (aging eyes) beyond 50 yards, so after a lot of research I decided to up the "X"; not really interested in distances beyond 150+ yards.

I've been busting my ass and bank account on the rifles and now its time to get it together and get some real optics.

Surprised how many people are using non-big name optics. I bought my father a cheapy Primary-Arms red dot for the AR I built for him. He's not really a rapid fire guy but, man, he was hammering my steel gong like a woodpecker at 50 yds.

I'd really like to do an EOTech with a magnifier, but if I actually believe I have $1k to spend on an optic right now I should buy the scope I want for my SPR. That guy at least has iron sights, though. In my rush to complete the lowers I had I now have a shorty AR that I don't even have irons for yet. Lucid makes a cheaper red dot with a magnifier, but the reviews are kinda mixed on it. I'm thinking I might just get the EOTech without the magnifier now.

My best response is, "Hmm"

I spent last night looking around, didn't find anything definitive but read some of the complaints.

I've shot with one of the eotechs before and really liked it a lot, better than a regular red dot. I'll keep looking and see if I can find out more. I was checking out the Trijicon MRO too - like that it's made in Michigan and the reviews are good, also cheaper than the Aimpoint if I don't go eotech. Not having that, "looking down a toilet paper tube" feeling is what I like about the EOs and it sounds like the design of the MRO helps with that.

Riddle me this NES braintrust, the LaRue mount gives specific instructions to tighten down the rings to no greater than 30lbs of pressure. My personal calibration mechanism has always alerted me that pressure has been exceeded when I take it well beyond the breaking point. So what tool do I need (besides common sense)?

Also, can you reverse out from Loctite without ****ing things up?

Riddle me this NES braintrust, the LaRue mount gives specific instructions to tighten down the rings to no greater than 30lbs of pressure. My personal calibration mechanism has always alerted me that pressure has been exceeded when I take it well beyond the breaking point. So what tool do I need (besides common sense)?

Also, can you reverse out from Loctite without ****ing things up?
There are two types of Loctite.

Blue Loctite can be disassembled normally (with a little extra effort). Red is "permanent" though you can still get them apart with some heroics.

Back
Top Bottom