Optic

Don't have a green eotech, but have one in red. (edit: EXPS3-0) There have been a number of reviews that in contract to most green optics that the green holographic sights just don't translate as well. That being said ar15safespace is running a sale for EXPS3-0 for 540$ and EXPS2 for 450$ brand new.

Last edited:
Green eats more batteries than red (fun fact of the day). What are you looking for? Dot? Donut? BDC? Mag/no mag? Gotta specify a little.

It took me all of 5 minutes to realize that he meant $600. I had written an entire response related to thinking that he had meant 600yds initially.

CQB @ 600yds wasn't making 2+2 in my head.

If you know where to hold, you can hit at 600 with a red dot.

Green eats more batteries than red (fun fact of the day). What are you looking for? Dot? Donut? BDC? Mag/no mag? Gotta specify a little.
This is correct, but to add for the OP in the case of the red holographic. That will also still eat batteries due to the nature of that optic. As a rule green draws more power than red. So keep that in mind for things like MROs and red dots from lesser brands.

I have an EOTech EXPS-3 with the G33 magnifier on an AR and really like it. The magnifier is easy to move out of the way, and great when needed for long distances. I think EOTech has moved beyond their problems from years ago.

Should post your general area and maybe people there will have different ones to try. Holo vs red dot will depend on your eyes a bit. I have an Eotech and Aimpoint if you’re around Braintree.

Edit: Sorry for assuming you live in a communist state.

Last edited:
Lots of choices under $600. I'd go as cheap as possible.

Interesting thoughts on this YT video. Whatever you think of this guy specifically, it made me think about optics in general.

Aimpoint and Trijicon are the two brands that have stood the test of hard use over many years. Since your budget is enough to get top quality items, I would start with these. I do not think EOTech can match the quality and toughness of the top brands.

I personally prefer Aimpoint, and the only complaint I ever hear from people who choose Aimpoint is about the price. I think that makes a point about the quality.

There may be less expensive sights that are just as good as Aimpoint and Trijicon, but I haven't seen it. And even if they are as good, it will be a few years before we have the track record to prove it. When people want a sight that can be trusted in life critical applications, I tell them that the budget should be about $600, so you are in good shape. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. The optic is going on a Cz bren, I removed the optic that was on it and put it on something else. So just looking for suggestions. Personally I like 65 moa circle with a precision dot better than just a simple dot.

I have a Green Eotech on my x95 Tavor. Absolutely love the GREEN 65moa circle and 1moa dot. You can look through with both eyes open and the circle just hovers in front of you really neat. You just point and if its within 25yards and inside the circle your hitting it. No thinking or trying to line up your eyesight to a scope or anything like that. For 50yards or more just use the 1 moa dot and your hitting it.
Once you use one you will realize why allot of SWAT and military use them for CQCB. I dont have a magnifier yet but if I do get one i will probly just get the Vortex one which is half the price the Eotech one is.

If you dont want to spend the $$ on the EOtech take a look at Holosun. They have some nice consumer level products that are much more budget friendly.

I actually own a couple holosuns there green 65 moa one and the holosun acss. I almost just want to buy one of those. But I she been saving for a nicer optic. Also I was thinking of hitting the Manchester gun show sat or hitting shooters outpost to check some out.

I actually own a couple holosuns there green 65 moa one and the holosun acss. I almost just want to buy one of those. But I she been saving for a nicer optic. Also I was thinking of hitting the Manchester gun show sat or hitting shooters outpost to check some out.

I'd pass on the gun show, those are pretty much useless these days.

Plenty of prominent "tactical industry" folks seem to be using and even advocating the Holoson sights. I personally dont have one, but I am interested in their RMR knockoff.

Nice to see you have a reasonable budget.

I have the EoTech with the LBC and like it. Getting on target is very quick. I have the AimPoint Pro on another rifle. As a long time AimPoint owner on a few pistols including my current Mod41 they are very soild and I've never had a single issue with one. The single dot can be hard sometimes but I get used to it. For a cheap option I put a Sig Romeo 4 on a NFA AR9 that I built for fun. For what it is I like it. Has a few nice features like auto off and they advertise a long battery life. If I was building another rifle today I would give them a good look at the other offerings.

Don’t discount the thought of a 1-6/8 variable as well.

A really good RDS that is inexpensive and decent quality is the Vortex Crossfire II. 50k hour battery life, compatible with NODs and it even comes with a mount. I think the retail is like $200 but with some simple searching you can find them for around $150

Alright I decided on the green eotech. I am glad I went with the eotech instead of an Aimpoint or trijicon. The eotech was impressive outside especially when keeping bolth eyes open and looking at the target. I went to the Manchester gun show I was there all of 20 min and went to shooters outpost. That’s were I got the optic.

Alright I decided on the green eotech. I am glad I went with the eotech instead of an Aimpoint or trijicon. The eotech was impressive outside especially when keeping bolth eyes open and looking at the target. I went to the Manchester gun show I was there all of 20 min and went to shooters outpost. That’s were I got the optic.

Yes, took me a while to train myself to keep both eyes open since i mostly shoot scoped rifles. But it's pretty cool on how that circle just floats out there in space. You should zero it in at 50yards. That way you will be dead on at 0-50yards/200yards and about an 1" high at 100yards. That is if you are shooting 223/5.56.

Yes, took me a while to train myself to keep both eyes open since i mostly shoot scoped rifles. But it's pretty cool on how that circle just floats out there in space. You should zero it in at 50yards. That way you will be dead on at 0-50yards/200yards and about an 1" high at 100yards. That is if you are shooti223/5.56.

Yup 556, it’s mounted on a Cz bren. I’ll zero at 50 mostly being used at 50 yards and under at the action bays at Pelham fish and game. Don’t plan on reaching out. Also know to decide on an eotech magnifier.

Yup 556, it’s mounted on a Cz bren. I’ll zero at 50 mostly being used at 50 yards and under at the action bays at Pelham fish and game. Don’t plan on reaching out. Also know to decide on an eotech magnifier.

The magnifier helps, at all distances I’m sure, but especially if you’re eyes are starting to get a bit older!

The magnifier helps, at all distances I’m sure, but especially if you’re eyes are starting to get a bit older!
I had a primary arms magnifier for the holosun acss. That was a nice set up so I have a little experience with magnifiers. But looking to keep it light maybe one of the new mall magnifiers.

Back
Top Bottom