Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Fixed 4x (4x36)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Fixed 6x (6x42)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 67409

I'm debating on which type of scope to buy for a Zastava M85 Mini-Mauser in 7.62x39. Its a very light, handy gun. My number one concern is not ruining the handling and making the rifle too heavy. I want to keep the rifle as being something that could be carried all day no problem.

LPVOs are light and compact, but don't have the best low light performance. "Stalking" style scopes, like 3-9x40s, are bigger and heavier but with better low light performance; though, the more magnification, the smaller the exit pupil on max magnification. Fixed scopes are simple to use but inherently limited to one power - a fixed 6 is great at 100-200, but what about 10-20?

With 7.62x39, I wouldn't want to take shots beyond 200 considering the drop in trajectory and kinetic energy. I primarily hunt in northern and western NH, which is mostly hills, clearings, and forest.

I have one of these on my 300blk hunting upper, and one day when I get one of those Ruger Americans in x39, I will be putting one on it. I have shot it to 300 yards with 110 barns ammo and the hold overs held well on a B/C steel plate.

You missed 'other' in your poll ...

FWIW I have one in the rare LH'd version and mounted a Burris mini-scope in 2-7X and it is an awesome combination! Trigger is fully adjustable and with good PMC soft-point ammo it prints sub-MOA. A small vintage Redfield 2-7X wideview would also allow the scope to be low to the bore.

To me, on such a classic looking rifle, a scope without an objective lends bell just never looks right, LOL!

My biakal , remington branded mini mauser just put a 3x9x38 VX-III nice little set up.
Never really shot well enough so I dumped it.
1623517773574.png

Last edited:
Late to the game on this. But I put a 2-7 on my Ruger American Ranch in x39. Fits it perfectly for a “brush” gun that I wanted out of the platform and caliber.

Edit: went upstairs to check. it’s a Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32

Back
Top Bottom