Optic for SW22 Victory

EMTDAD

NES Member
I picked up an SW22 Victory at Shooters Supply on Friday. $328 out the door, but gun has the basic sights. Looking to add a budget red dot to make it a decent plinker/trainer gun for newbs. Not looking to spend more than $100 on the optic. I know I'm not looking at Eotech or Vortex at this price, but I'm not looking at competitions or that level of accuracy.

I've seen a few but not sure of the pros/cons of each type..
vs
Amazon product ASIN B01MCZM59VView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCZM59V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A30DGGRQPDAP9Y&psc=1

vs

seems like reviews are all over the place.. any tips..

sorry i can't provide any experience with the sightmark

one consideration is height over bore. on my SW22, I had a vortex venom mounted to an aftermarket aluminum pic rail (the OEM rail is polymer which is suboptimal for an optic). I found the heigth over bore annoying. the red dot sat too high. I went with a tandemkross shadow mount which allow the dot to sit much lower

so the sightmark will probably serve you just fine but keep the bore height in mind. it's going to sit high.

I tried a few cheap optics on a mark 3. None of them were bright enough fo use outside. One looked alot like that sightmark but was a different brand.

I've never had any luck with a cheap RDS.

If you can save up a little longer, I highly recommend this Holosun.

It comes with a mounting bracket, has an (advertised) battery life of 10 years, and solar backup if the battery dies. I have one and it is solid, which is surprising given its price.

If you search a little, or open a chat on the Optics Planet website, you should be able to get a discount code.

I'd save up and get something decent. If all you can afford right now is a hundred bucks spend it on ammo and practice with the stock sights. You'll shoot better than you will with a bargain basement red dot.

I know it's not what youre looking for, but the Vortex Venom that came with my SW22 Victory PC is a PERFECT choice. I can second the Holosun recommendation made above.

so irrespective of price point... are there any pros/cons wrt a "barrel" sight vs a "reflex". Pls excuse the terminology..

ie, View attachment 330827 versus View attachment 330828

You would want the open reflex sight, preferably with the smallest/lightest body and the biggest lens possible, on a pistol. The tube body ones are more rugged and heavier for long guns.

I used a knockoff RMR (under $30) for over two years on a Ruger MKIV. Dot is bright enough to shoot outside. I use a real RMR on real guns.

so irrespective of price point... are there any pros/cons wrt a "barrel" sight vs a "reflex". Pls excuse the terminology..

ie, View attachment 330827 versus View attachment 330828

You would want the open reflex sight, preferably with the smallest/lightest body and the biggest lens possible, on a pistol. The tube body ones are more rugged and heavier for long guns.

I used a knockoff RMR (under $30) for over two years on a Ruger MKIV. Dot is bright enough to shoot outside. I use a real RMR on real guns.

Just to add onto what @TomMontana said, there are pistol-friendly sights similar in shape to that SIG you posted a picture of, like the Aimpoint Acro P-1. The shape of the optic is designed to prevent the optic from becoming a dirt, mud, snow, sand, etc. scoop. But the Acro's week-long battery life killed most of the initial buzz over its potential.

Product Single View Page

THE TRUTH ABOUT THE AIMPOINT ACRO | Gabe Suarez Blog

I have only seen two red dot sights under $100 that I could recommend. My first choice is the cheapest model of Primary Arms that is about $90 last time I looked. I have used one of these extensively, and it is quite decent, and a good value. The other decent low end red dot is the Bushnell TRS-25. They cost a bit less, and I don't own one myself, but I have friends who are satisfied with them. Note, that the under $100 market is flooded with junk, so I would not make a random pick based on online reviews.

Regarding the small open style red dot vs tube style, I have not seen any inexpensive open red dots that I could recommend. Note that both the sights I recommended above are small tube style sights. For small open style sights, I have a Burris Fastfire III, which I am quite happy with, but when you include the mount, it is over $200. There is a vortex sight that is slightly cheaper, and which I hear good things about, but it is still close to $200. I recommend going with a tube style sight if the budget is under $100.

Luckily, for use on a target .22 pistol like the Victory, the small tube style sights are very acceptable. I have a first generation Aimpoint Micro on a Ruger MK II. I bought the Aimpoint years ago before there were any knockoff clones like the ones I recommended above. After many thousands of rounds, I can confidently say that the tube style sights are just fine on a .22. The small open style sights make a much bigger difference if you need something that will ride on a slide that moves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom