• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

~ OpSpec Training - Practical Fundamentals - June - Gap, Pa. [Photos Added] ~

Operation Specific Training is now taking deposits for our June 2015 Practical Fundamentals class in Gap. Pennsylvania.

Update: This class is now full. We encourage you to register to get on the wait list, or consider heading up to southeast New Hampshire to enroll in the Practical Fundamentals class on June 3 & 4 at SIG SAUER Academy.

Remember, at the Academy student have the option to use Academy guns, magazines, holsters and mag pouches and get a really good discount at the Pro Shop.

Instructors*:
Jerry Jones & Bruce Gray

Practical Fundamentals

This two-day program teaches the techniques and philosophy of what we believe a shooter needs to improve to their full potential. This is not a beginning handgun course.

Prerequisites:
An open mind, willing to learn. At minimum, students should have taken a basic handgun safety course and have experience with their firearm and gear. We expect students to have experience shooting on a line in a safe manner, including loading, reloading and shooting from the holster. Shooters with IDPA, USPSA, NRA Action Pistol, 3-Gun, law enforcement and military experience meet the program prerequisites.

Practical Fundamentals may be repeated several times to further one's understanding of the concepts involved.

Course Objectives
  • Controlling the trigger, with all platforms and trigger types, to achieve an accurate shot
  • Acquiring proper sight alignment, on a target, and allowing the shot to happen
  • Recoil management and making accurate follow-up shots
  • Efficient grip, presentation of the gun and shooting stance
  • Finding your personal sphere of dexterity
  • Reloading your platform efficiently and reliably
  • Transitioning between targets without wasted movement and placing accurate shots
  • Make a shot that will stun you with the ability you have acquired

When: June 6 & 7, 2015, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.

Where:
New Holland Rifle & Pistol Club
589 Meetinghouse Road
Gap, Pa. 17527

Class size: Limited to 24 students, with a minimum of 12 students. As of March 11, we only have a few spots remaining.

Tuition: $225 per day

Range Fees: Less than $17 per day (with a full class, range fees will be about $9 per day)

Local Host: Annette Evans

Ammunition: Round count will be approximately 1000 rounds

Important Links and Information

Where to Stay
Click here for a listing of hotels near Gap, Pa. Our host has suggested the following locations:
  • Comfort Inn Amish Country. This hotel has a 4 Star rating on Trip Advisor and is located about 15 minutes from the range, but the host is not too familiar with the hotel.
  • Holiday Inn Morgantown / Pa. Turnpike. If you're coming from the Pa. Turnpike, this is close to that road. About 25 minutes from the range. Our host Annette has stayed at this hotel. Trip Advisor visitors give it 3.5 Stars.
  • Courtyard Philadelphia Coatesville/Exton. A 4.5 Star rating on Trip Advisor. If you're coming from Philadelphia or the airport this may be a good choice. The property is pretty new - about two years. Located about 25 minutes from the range.
The New Holland Rifle & Pistol Club is located in southeast Pennsylvania about 55 miles east of Philadelphia International Airport, 80 miles north of Baltimore.

Food at Lunch Break
Our host Annette is working on a plan to coordinate lunch - for a reasonable fee - so we can eat on-site at the range and get the most from our two days of training.

* Instructors listed for specific programs have committed to teach the class on those dates. Although we do not anticipate changes, travel delays, family emergencies or illness may result in instructor substitutions.

Last edited:
We're working to update our website with student testimonials, but if you do some searching online you should be able to find some. Here are some comments about Practical Fundamentals from our recent class in Piru, Calif.

This class was taught safety and with great enthusiasm by Jerry. He did a fantastic job at advancing all shooter's skill level, regardless of their previous abilities.
I can say that OpSec training offers excellent training and will allow any shooter at any level to improve their capabilities. I only wish it was a longer class!

--
This class was very informative and exactly what I needed. I learned more about my skills, my expectations and what I feel I need to take out of classes. I also became more knowledgeable in my weapon system and its strengths and where it needs improvement.
--
Jerry Jones is an excellent instructor. Very knowledgeable, humble, and personable.
--
Jerry and Randy were both great, offering feedback whenever it was needed. Each time I asked a question (a lot), it was answered quickly and very thoroughly. I liked the transition drill between two targets and wished I could have done more, but I understand it was taught to us with the intention of us practicing it at home. I really liked the strong hand and weak handed shooting as I've never really practiced it much. By learning the proper way to do it, I was surprised by how well I did. I plan to incorporate it into 25% of my total shooting as suggested. I also appreciated the tailored advice I got after saying why I was there and what I hoped to get out of the class. By individualizing the training, the students almost feel as though it's a one on one class, which at times it is. My only concern is that I may have missed something in my notes. Maybe a recap at the end of specific items we should practice on our own would be a nice touch. At that point, we aren't all scrambling to reload mags and get back out to the line. It's minor nitpicking because that's all I have. It was a phenomenal class and I learned a lot. Thank you!
---
You guys did a great job, really helping me focus on what I need to do to do better. I feel that I came away from the class with a great roadmap and plan. I'll be getting back to Jerry to let him know how it is going.

I can't think of anything that I think the instructors could have done better. There are lots of things I could have done better, particularly at the beginning, but it all started to jell as the class went on.

Originally posted by davidb72:
How was the class? I know a couple folks who attended, but haven't heard much about how it went?

Quickly... a selection of comments we received in the last day or so. There were 26 students in this class, with three primary instructors, two Team SIG members and then me on the second day.

Weather was GREAT for both days. Everyone did well.

Enjoyed the class very much. Instructors are very knowledgeable and helped correct my mechanics. Although they said not to look back on your performance.

We encourage students to think about the "process of running the gun" as it provides all of the feedback you need concerning performance/results on target. (That's a tough hurdle for everyone, including me. My ego - our egos - are SO invested in the results down range.)

I have been shooting for over 25 years and competing in IDPA and USPSA for only a year. This was the first formal training that I have taken. It was eye opening to receive training from folks who SHOULD be training than from people who SHOULD NOT be giving training and advice. I look forward to taking an advanced class with you folks in the future. I believe that you will help me achieve my goal of making master class.

More...

I liked how the first portion of the course was classroom and the tone was set early on stressing the importance of safety. Trigger control skills were introduced and the focus on the "process" and not the "results" explained. Later, out on the range, we were able to effectively practice these skills through both dry fire and live fire. The combination of classroom first and then the range, that is to say, the mental understanding followed by practice of the physical skill, made an ideal environment for student skill development. ...

and more...

The training worked with multiple pistol platforms without prejudice! This is a rare occurrence. I thought that the instructors did a good job of going up and down the line giving all, some personal attention. I wish I had taken this class 2 years ago. I will be working on the building blocks that were presented to me this past weekend.

there are more comments ... but here is one more ....

There was never any time during this class where I was disengaged, bored or wondering what was being discussed. The instructors kept the whole class engaged, focused and on topic. This was a well run, content rich and excellent training class that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in advancing their pistol shooting skills.

gap-20150607a.jpg

gap-20150607b.jpg

gap-20150607c.jpg

gap-20150607d.jpg

gap-20150607e.jpg

gap-20150607f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom