• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Oppose New MA Anti Gun Bills

In the Massachusetts General Court, an anti-gun bill is currently pending in the House of Representatives. House Bill 3081 would create two new protective orders and would allow for these protective orders to infringe Second Amendment rights based on third party allegations and little, if any, real evidence. The issuance of an order would result in the immediate suspension and surrender of any license to carry firearms and firearms identification card which the respondent may hold. The respondent would also be required to surrender all firearms and ammunition.

Constitutional rights are generally restricted only upon conviction of a felony. The reasons for this are two-fold. It limits restrictions on constitutional rights to only the most serious offenses, and, perhaps more importantly, felony convictions provide greater procedural protections to the accused, which results in more reliable convictions. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms should not be treated as a second-class right and should be restricted only upon conviction of a felony, like other constitutional rights.

Further, if an individual is truly dangerous, existing law already provides a variety of mechanisms to deal with the individual, all of which can lead to firearm prohibitions in appropriate cases. This bill would do nothing to prevent dangerous persons from injuring themselves or others.

Contact your state Representative and state Senator and urge them to OPPOSE HB 3081! Click the “Take Action” button to contact your state legislators!

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170413/massachusetts-anti-gun-bill-pending-in-house

Last edited:
In the Massachusetts General Court, an anti-gun bill is currently pending in the House of Representatives. House Bill 3081 would create two new protective orders and would allow for these protective orders to infringe Second Amendment rights based on third party allegations and little, if any, real evidence. The issuance of an order would result in the immediate suspension and surrender of any license to carry firearms and firearms identification card which the respondent may hold. The respondent would also be required to surrender all firearms and ammunition.

Constitutional rights are generally restricted only upon conviction of a felony. The reasons for this are two-fold. It limits restrictions on constitutional rights to only the most serious offenses, and, perhaps more importantly, felony convictions provide greater procedural protections to the accused, which results in more reliable convictions. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms should not be treated as a second-class right and should be restricted only upon conviction of a felony, like other constitutional rights.

Further, if an individual is truly dangerous, existing law already provides a variety of mechanisms to deal with the individual, all of which can lead to firearm prohibitions in appropriate cases. This bill would do nothing to prevent dangerous persons from injuring themselves or others.

Contact your state Representative and state Senator and urge them to OPPOSE HB 3081! Click the “Take Action” button to contact your state legislators!

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170413/massachusetts-anti-gun-bill-pending-in-house
Done.

I am sure if I contact Markey and Warren, they will put an end to this....

this is state legislature.. Markey and Warren don't matter.

Got this reply from Richard Ross

[FONT=&quot]Hello V######. As a gun owner myself, I take these 2nd Amendment related issues very seriously. I will be sure to keep my eyes peeled for this bill in committee.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Regards,
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Richard Ross[/FONT]

one of the good guys..

Also.. anyone else see Timilty is leaving the Senate to become Norfolk county treasurer... I think he was on our side for a Democrat. Need to find a good replacement candidate

Got this personal response from David Decoste within 10 minutes of my email. He's a good man.

Daniel thanks for writing. I have received a fair amount of correspondence about this issue though you're the first person to cite a specific bill. Thank you for pointing out H3081, rest assured I will oppose this as written.

V/R

Rep. Dave DeCoste

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...uot-soundbite-legislation-quot?highlight=3081

Got this personal response from David Decoste within 10 minutes of my email. He's a good man.

Daniel thanks for writing. I have received a fair amount of correspondence about this issue though you're the first person to cite a specific bill. Thank you for pointing out H3081, rest assured I will oppose this as written.

V/R

Rep. Dave DeCoste

Nice, there we go!

this is state legislature.. Markey and Warren don't matter.

Got this reply from Richard Ross

one of the good guys..

Also.. anyone else see Timilty is leaving the Senate to become Norfolk county treasurer... I think he was on our side for a Democrat. Need to find a good replacement candidate

This was supposed to be a funny. I had already contacted Humason and Boldyga on this..

This is from my State Senator, who also happens to be Senate President. A lot of it is boilerplate. He's an a$$.

Thanks for your email and for letting me know about this bill. I do not recall hearing about this bill in prior sessions and will do my homework on it. As you know, I have always respected a person’s right to bear arms while also believing in strong, common-sense regulations which have led to Massachusetts having the third lowest gun deaths per capita in the United States.

The Legislature is currently at the very beginning of a new legislative term and this bill will be going through a long process. Recently the bill was referred to the Joint Committee on the Judiciary with at least one public hearing and then analyzed by the committee before a recommendation is offered. I would recommend attending a public hearing to voice your opposition to this legislation and reach out to Senator William Brownsberger, the Senate Chair of the Joint Committee to express opinion.

Thanks again for weighing in especially this early in the process. It really helps to get information from constituents this early in the process. . Please do not hesitate to contact my office, should you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns. For more information on issues affecting our district and the Commonwealth as a whole, please visit my website at: www.stanrosenberg.com, subscribe to my newsletter, or follow me on Facebook and Twitter.

Yes, Jim was senate chair of the Public Safety Committee and a staunch 2A supporter (he's a Dem by the way). I am certain we are about to be screwed when he is replaced.

Back
Top Bottom