1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Opinions wanted on kid’s sport dilemma

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kiver, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:20 PM.

1. kiver

kiver

Kid plays hockey goalie full time for a travel team. She is committed to this team and is the only goalie on her team. She is a freshman at high school and has the opportunity to play for her high school should she make the team. Question is should she try out? I’m afraid of sport politics and her not getting exposure to the high school. She committed to her current team and she will play the year with them, but is it rude if she makes high school and rejects the opportunity

2. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

Whichever team plays at the higher level. It is good to play HS sports, but if the travel team plays better hockey, commit to that. Or, ask her which experience she would have the most fun and go with that

3. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

4. kiver

kiver

High school would be the higher level but I doubt she would see playing time as a freshmen. Also the travel team would fold without a goalie. I would not do that to them

5. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Yikes!!! Google cannot find the classic poem that starts out "Under the spreading hockey net the hometown goalie squats..."

6. Picton

Picton NES Member

My $.02.

1. If the travel team cares, they’ll find a new goalie. That’s not your daughter’s problem.

2. If the HS is higher level, that’s good for her.

3. What does SHE want? That should matter more than anything in this thread by a factor of at least a million.

7. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

You didn't look very hard:
    And I'm NOT a hockey guy - that requires the ability to stay upright on skates. Besides, I have enough stinky gear from mountain biking.

Rob Boudrie likes this.
  8. zboys

zboys NES Member

High school team/sport will be remembered, noticed and forever memories.
    Travel team is only noticed by the immed.members/families, when it's over it just goes away.
    Don't do it for the team, if they get a better goalie, they'd dump her in a heartbeat

9. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

Is hockey a means of paying for college?
    What does she want to get out of hockey?
    Does she just want to play at a higher level or be social while playing with her friends?

Congrats on raising a child that loves sports and being social.

xjma99 likes this.
  10. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I think that would give you a chance to teach her a valuable life lesson. The grass is not always greener on the other side. If she moves and doesnt get play time.

And if she moves and gets play time, she will learn another valuable life lesson. Sometimes calculated risks pay off big time. You just have to do your research and understand what the risk is.

Can she try out for the HS while still in the travel team and then decide? Or is it a must to drop one so she can try out for the other?

DitchDigger likes this.
  11. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

def try out.
    she might get a deal to play the travel team, but be on call for the HS team in case they need a goalie

12. Coyote33

Coyote33

What does SHE want? Did you actually ASK HER?

Next, ask her "travel team" coach, and the high school coach what they think about her chances, opportunities, upsides, downsides. Be open, honest, and frank with all. Make sure SHE does the asking, and not put up with selfish coach wants or desires.

I'd say quit them all, and study harder, and join the shooting club!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 7:51 PM
    GaryO likes this.
  13. DitchDigger

DitchDigger NES Member

If your not livin’ on the edge,,,ur missin’ something
    The opportunity, the view, the greater success, the taste of failure
    It’s all good

14. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

How many goalies are there at her high school and where does she stack up against them? If she’s not going to see ice time, she’d probably rather stick with the travel team this year, and wait till next for the HS. If she’ll be playing, and it’s a higher level, she’ll probably have a harder decision.

It’s really not very fun watching from the bench.

In any case, she should still try out. It’ll give her a good idea where she stands.

15. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

This is a good suggestion. My daughter played 4 years of volleyball but was an A student, when it came time for college her coach suggested going to a 3rd rate college to play but she went to UVA and is very successful. Very few kids will get into a top ranked school based on sports. If the travel team is fun and not a giant time commitment, I say stick with travel.

16. RedWing

RedWing NES Member

a few things to think about.

she might be able to do both. talk with the coach and see if she can do games only on the travel team. or at least offer to have her be a backup.
    if she makes the high school team, how much will she play? will she be the #1, 2 or 3 goalie?
    what does she want to do? will she have friends on both teams?
    and as mentioned, have her try out, have the experience, it's better to have the option.

17. Coyote33

Coyote33

Again, just ask both coaches. Tell them you want to meet at Dunkins, your treat. Bring her and the two coaches together and see what happens.

18. Masswhole

Masswhole NES Member

Back in the day I was a competitive swimmer, and went to college on a scholarship. I was on several teams simultaneously throughout HS, including my backwater HS team.

Sometimes there were schedule issues. But it’s possible to do both, just clearly define everyone’s expectations.

19. Bison

Bison NES Member

Your daughter should play for both if she intends to have a hockey future beyond HS. If not, still do both this year since next year, as a second-year U14 or U16, most of the club teams end their schedules before the HS season starts. And, you do not want to burn bridges.

I assume you are in MA and playing in the NEGHL for club and MIAA for HS. There are MIAA rules that will trump the club practices and games. Make sure you know these or your daughter could get suspended from the HS team. All of the club teams know HS takes precedence, and they should have a plan to cover goalie in these cases.

In general, if your club team is worse than public HS, then you need to find a better club. But, as a goalie, your daughter might see more shots for the worse club. Keep in mind that if your daughter has talent then she should be looking at prep schools or boarding schools if she wants to play in college. Or maybe even playing juniors instead of club/HS.

She should also be playing multiple sports. Is she playing a HS fall or spring sport?

If you want more insight on any of this, PM me.

20. ccm75

ccm75 NES Member

I would hope every kid wants to play for their HS.
    But she may not start; that's a risk she has to take......Out work the other goalies and kick ass.
    The travel team will get over it.

21. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Why ask? Play vs. no play? Play!

22. Coyote33

Coyote33

To the OP, can you please fix the spelling of dilemma? It's a dilemma that is killing me.

Broccoli Iglesias, AHM and Picton like this.
  23. AHM

AHM NES Member

[​IMG]

24. Coyote33

Coyote33

25. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger NES Member

This X100. I'm not a parent, so I'm well qualified to give advice.

Ankle skater? I grew up in Minnesota in a hard-core hockey community. 'Ankle skater' was absolutely the worst non-ethnic insult you could use on a kid. I only played a couple of years, but at least I wasn't one of those.

26. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Two hockey coaches with competing interests??? Helmets and pads or no? ROFL!!!!

Tough call for sure. She'll have more ice time in travel than HS, but she'll get further in HS (provided she has aptitude) if she commits earlier, I would think.

Keep in mind folks, that Travel Team isn't some elite squad of only these players out of thousands that applied in the town. A lot of the time, it's the rich mediocre kids who want a chance to play. You need $$ to play on a travel team. Many times it comes down to who can pay to play more than anything. Not every team, not every town, not every sport, but it's a business.

27. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

Whatever she wants.

28. johnnymac101

johnnymac101 NES Member

The HS team will provide a lot of social interactions via a the school setting. I agree with others, talk to the coaches before getting into a tricky situation!

29. AHM

AHM NES Member

("Court reports" as an authority on English, LOL.
    Wondering how many incidences the author found...?)

30. TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak NES Member

She'll no doubt get better at her sport training in practices with more skilled players despite less game time vs getting a ton of playing time with people at a much lower skill level......but if her goal is just to have fun with a few friends, there's nothing wrong with just doing travel and being competitive for the heck of it.

Kind of up to her depending on how committed she is to the sport imo. Sometimes the tougher option backfires when the kid gets discouraged and abandons the game, other times it just feeds their passion. I know jack about hockey but that's the way it works in almost any sport.