Opinions - Ruger SR1911

EddieZoom

NES Member
Looking to add a full size 45 back into my collection and I've got my eye on the Ruger SR1911, I've read all the reviews which seem to agree it's a great value.

It'll be a range gun, not looking to carry it.

Do you own one ? What say you ?

Thx.

I own 2 (one will be going to my kid when he is old enough to get his LTC).

Despite the early problems with the front site breaking this pistol has been a winner. Most every review from owners seems to be positive. You can find a lot of information at the following:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=43&sid=c2038da8f8abdbc9b36cb7d5b888f271

Get one.

Then get it a companion piece for it.

[smile]

PS: Both are commander-sized. That feels better in my hands. YMMV.

Just picked up a used one and I really like it, especially compared to my Remington R1 and my buds Taurus something or other. I don't regret that purchase at all.

I own one and it's my most accurate 45 if I do my part. I will get another. The new lightweight commander looks sweet. Never had an issue with mine. Solid performer.

I love mine. Feels and shoots better than my Dads Sig TTT and my uncles SW E-series. I even shot my cousins S&W PC with the ported slide and I wasn't impressed for a $1500 gun. For the $700 I paid for it I would buy another in a heartbeat

I own one and I really like it.

I did have a few issues, but Ruger customer service was great and took care of it. The first issue I had was the 7rd mag that came with the gun wouldn't insert all the way and got hung up on the trigger bar. They sent me a new one and a label for the old one immediately. My other issue had to do with the barrel and link. My barrel was really hard to get out of the slide, I figured that it would loosen up after a few hundred rounds and it didn't. I noticed that the link looked like a piece was missing or cracked, so I called them, they asked me to send in the gun and a magazine, they gave me a label, within a week I had the gun and mag back, with a new barrel. The new barrel fits great, I haven't shot it yet, but they fired 30 rounds at the factory to test.

I have a CDR version. I also own a genuine Colt GM Series 80 which I have owned for 30 years and which I am having currently customized by Greg Derr and an Auto Ordnance GI model. Back in the day I owned a Seried 70 Colt.

There are plenty of very good 1911's on the market today, but in terms of value I believe that dollar for dollar the Ruger offers the most for the money and is the best factory made 1911 under 1K. I'd purchase one in a heartbeat without any qualms.

Today the Ruger 1911 CDR is my EDC gun and this is a guy who has always preferred DA autos for that purpose. That's how much I like this gun and feel confident with it.

Last edited:
The fact that ruger made a series 70 design for under $700 is amazing. The trigger is nice and crisp, walks all over most series 80 guns.
the lightwight commander model is a gem as well.

I own one and I really like it.

I did have a few issues, but Ruger customer service was great and took care of it. The first issue I had was the 7rd mag that came with the gun wouldn't insert all the way and got hung up on the trigger bar. They sent me a new one and a label for the old one immediately. My other issue had to do with the barrel and link. My barrel was really hard to get out of the slide, I figured that it would loosen up after a few hundred rounds and it didn't. I noticed that the link looked like a piece was missing or cracked, so I called them, they asked me to send in the gun and a magazine, they gave me a label, within a week I had the gun and mag back, with a new barrel. The new barrel fits great, I haven't shot it yet, but they fired 30 rounds at the factory to test.

I had the same issue with my mags not locking in either but oddly enough it was only with the mag empty. The guy I bought it from thought it was a factory defect and threw in 2 free mags with it that locked in with the mags empty. When I got it home I loaded the Ruger mags for sh_ts & giggles and they locked in no problem. Not sure why the won't lock in empty though. I have the commander model and love it.

I love mine. Put some medium Loctite under the front sight no problem. I did buy a $60 trigger spring/hammer kit to bring the pull down to 4 - 5 lbs instead of the 8 - 10lbs it came with. Took it to the range yesterday and was putting rounds on target at 50yards. The gun is way more accurate than I am.

I have both a full size and a commander and though I've only a couple of hundred rounds thru them I can't say enough good things about them. The one thing that I do like is the plunger tube is cast as part of the frame,had a brand new Colt 1911 that had that part fly off never to be found.

I've had one for a year and a half (bought new) and have close to a thousand rounds through it. Its given a simple field stripped and cleaned after every 250 rounds or so.

It's been reliable, excepting that I did need to tighten the grip screws after 2 loosened up and nearly dropped out at around 400 rounds (my bad for not checking those on a regular basis).

For me, it's a fun gun to shoot and didn't break my bank as this is my first 1911. As mike1960 mentioned, it's more accurate than me.

I have a CDR version. I also own a genuine Colt GM Series 80 which I have owned for 30 years and which I am having currently customized by Greg Derr and an Auto Ordnance GI model. Back in the day I owned a Seried 70 Colt.

There are plenty of very good 1911's on the market today, but in terms of value I believe that dollar for dollar the Ruger offers the most for the money and is the best factory made 1911 under 1K. I'd purchase one in a heartbeat without any qualms.

Today the Ruger 1911 CDR is my EDC gun and this is a guy who has always preferred DA autos for that purpose. That's how much I like this gun and feel confident with it.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mark056 again."

Mine is a full-size SR1911, manufactured in late 2011. I bought it new in December 2011.

Upsides (IMHO):
1. Great feature set for the money
2. Very good out of box accuracy
3. Good out of box trigger
4. Good customer service (can be slower when they're really busy)
5. Good fit/finish for the money
6. Has never, ever failed to load and fire for me.

Downside - Some non-function-related QC issues:
1. Problem with front sight breaking (hasn't yet happened to mine).
2. Problem with spotting and pitting on frame (happened to mine under the grip panels after a couple of years. Ruger refinished at their cost).
3. The inner rear edge of the hood on the slide that covers the recoil spring plug was apparently impacting the base of the recoil spring guide and/or frame, causing it to peen over slightly. This did not affect the functionality of the firearm at all, but over time caused the barrel to be more and more difficult to remove from the slide during field stripping. (Became noticeable after a few hundred rounds. Ruger repaired at their cost.)

I own 2 (one will be going to my kid when he is old enough to get his LTC).

Despite the early problems with the front site breaking this pistol has been a winner. Most every review from owners seems to be positive. You can find a lot of information at the following:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=43&sid=c2038da8f8abdbc9b36cb7d5b888f271

Get one.

Then get it a companion piece for it.

[smile]

PS: Both are commander-sized. That feels better in my hands. YMMV.

Same story here. I bought the full sized version this year to use for bowling pin shoots (BTW, these are a blast). It is my 1st 1911 and also my 1st .45 ACP. I shoot better with this gun than with any other gun I've owned. It is an absolute winner.

I like it so much that I bought the commander sized version for my 16 year old son to use at the pin shoots, and I plan to give this one to him when he has his LTC.

I've had one for a year and a half (bought new) and have close to a thousand rounds through it. Its given a simple field stripped and cleaned after every 250 rounds or so.

It's been reliable, excepting that I did need to tighten the grip screws after 2 loosened up and nearly dropped out at around 400 rounds (my bad for not checking those on a regular basis).

For me, it's a fun gun to shoot and didn't break my bank as this is my first 1911. As mike1960 mentioned, it's more accurate than me.

I added a drop of the medium Loctite (Blue) to each of the grip screws and have had no problem since.

I love mine other than the sights. With the variety of loads likely to be fired through a 1911, not providing an elevation-adjustable rear sight is inexcusable.

Has anyone done a .22 conversion on the SR1911 that they were happy with? Trying to figure if I can get a good kit for it but wasn't sure if anyone had any personal experience.

Has anyone done a .22 conversion on the SR1911 that they were happy with? Trying to figure if I can get a good kit for it but wasn't sure if anyone had any personal experience.

I have a Kimber conversion for my Ruger and it required additional work from a gun smith to make it work. I would not recommend. I have heard good things about the Marvel conversion kits though.

The GSG 22 kit I put on my R1 was good. Ordered extra mags online for it.

Back
Top Bottom