• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinions on ther NRA

More like "Wal Mart". [laugh]

-Mike

people can dis Wallyworlld and NRA, but they are both forces to be reckoned with in their fields of influence. [smile]

No matter how active or effective an .org is, there will always be people that say, "You could have done more!"

If you ask a Non or Anti, "Who is SAF, or JPFO" you'll get a blank stare, but if you ask "who's the NRA," they'll say, "The [evil] gun nut group!"

Yes, NRA has abandoned Mass., but then a doctor will amputate a gangrenous toe. No matter the resources that are devoted to Mass' situation, there will be no immediate, drastic change for the better. Most Mass residents don't have any familiarity with guns, and an abbstract "right" that has no day-to-day impact is not an issue for them.

If Deval won't meet with Jim Wallace (who's a Mass resident, and therefore Deval's employer) how much influence will NRA or SAF, or any other have?

The programs that all agree are good that come from the NRA, whether it be Eddie Eagle or Junior Rifle, or whatever are the tools we must use in our little slice of Anti heaven. If your club does not have some species of Junior program that's open to "outsiders" (i.e. the kids of non-members, who may have no other access to shooting) then you, too are not doing your share.

Wow. That was a good little rant at the end.

I don't care if they help little old ladies across the street, their mission should be the protection of gun rights, and they are not even close to doing that.

They screwed us in NH, they don't know MA exists, what have they done for NY NJ and IL?

They tried to derail Heller early on, and only jumped on the bandwagon when the case got traction and was headed for a win.

Their excuse is that they mitigate the damage that would have happened it they were not there to speak for US on capital hill. BS.!!!

Eddie Eagle won't mean schit because by the time those children get to be 18 or 21 gun ownership will be illegal.

I agree.

NRA was founded in NYC in 1871 to teach firearm safety and proficiency. It wasn't until the 1970's that they became a political organization. I'd like to see them go back to their roots. Other organizations--such as SAF--have done much more to protect our second amendment rights. LaPierre should never be allowed to speak for NRA. He comes off as a butt-hurt, gun crazy 2nd Amendment fundamentalist.

In the Feb issue of "America's 1st Freedom" Dave Kopel writes about what happened when the handgun confiscation initiative appeared on the 1976 statewide ballot in Massachusetts. If it wasn't for the NRA, MA would be worse than even Wash DC, Chicago, CA and NJ. Those MA NRA activists formed GOAL which is the NRA chapter in MA.

Read about it here:
Against All Odds
http://www.nrapublications.org/index.php/12374/against-all-odds/

My bitches with the NRA are:
They do not fight to strengthen the 2nd amendment to it's fullest potential. To keep themselves viable and in a position to raise tons of money they keep doors open for opposition to allow the attack or threat of attack. They won't seal the deal so they can keep their power and income.

I was angry that they tried to steal the thunder of the SAF in the Heller case. Yes, the NRA jumped on board and provided funds and support but it was the SAF that filed the suit and fought relentlessly for the victory.

The NRA needs to be more aggressive and proactive. Now isn't the time to run just a defensive operation. Gun ownership is up and violent crimes and murder is down. The NRA should be all over that information.

The fund raising calls at election time are terrible. I get various caller IDs from NRA calls such as, "Big Brother." The boogeyman calls are just preaching to the choir. I was getting 3 pieces of fund raising mail a week from them at one point.

When I went to school in MA they just had one of the local police come in to tell us how evil and dangerous his sidearm was.

Lol, at career day in high school i was handed a Glock 22 ( in pieces) by the school cop that they had recently transitioned to. He was totally pumped about it and was telling me how great it was compared to his old sidearm. He's made his way up the ladder of that local PD. Good guy. I was hooked on that plastic and years later I finally got some Glocks of my own.

Last edited:
I was angry that they tried to steal the thunder of the SAF in the Heller case. Yes, the NRA jumped on board and provided funds and support but it was the SAF that filed the suit and fought relentlessly for the victory.

It was far worse than that. They tried to derail Heller and make it NOT a 2nd amendment case because they were being wussbags about the issue- it was abundantly clear to me that they did not want to risk a (however unlikely) activist ruling that would have put them out of business. It took Alan Gura basically dragon punching them legally before they stopped acting like 'tards and got on board. I would imagine there was also a trailer load of hate mail that got sent to NRA HQ when that was publicized at the time.

-Mike

To be honest I probably stay a member because of the magazine. I wanted a gun related magazine and the American Rifleman subscription fits the bill. I like that they moved to digital distribution as well so I can save each month to my hard drive instead of having paper copies laying all over the place that I eventually get rid of.

I support the NRA for its support of the shooting sports & hunting but not for its so called support of the 2nd amendment which it does not fully support. JPFO,GOA and SAF are much better when it comes to the 2A. Also COMM2A will probably be better but it is still too early to tell how effective they will be.

I was a member twice, once for 10 years then I got disgusted and bailed.After that I gave them a chance again for three years.I'm done,now I send my money to GOA and NHFC. They still call my house even after I told the last guy to put me on the do not call list.Power corrupts, spend on the up and coming they work harder.

I was a member twice, once for 10 years then I got disgusted and bailed.After that I gave them a chance again for three years.I'm done,now I send my money to GOA and NHFC. They still call my house even after I told the last guy to put me on the do not call list.Power corrupts, spend on the up and coming they work harder.

They called my house 3 times in one week. The first two times I was polite. The third time I flipped out, they had to listen to my 5min speech of why I think they S**K, and why I dont want them to ever call my house again. I also told them I was recording the conversation and would bring up charges if they called me again. They never called back. I did tell the person calling how I knew it wasnt his fault, he was just doing his job.

Sometimes, even if you dont want to, you have to be a total douche in order to get your point accross.

The NRA does more for the RKBA than any individual, or any other group. All gun owners benefit from the work done by the NRA, whether, or not, you are a member. For example - we all remember that in 1987 only 10 states recognized the right to carry. Today, due to the NRA, 49 states do. In 1994, there were only 8 states with range protection laws, today 47 states protect ranges.

Let's not forget what they've done for Preemption Laws, Castle Doctrine, Emergency Powers Laws, protecting gun owners and dealers privacy rights with the Tiahrt Amendment and Privacy Protection laws, Hunter Protection laws, "The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act”, the Heller and McDonald decisions, Workplace Protection laws, as well as fighting against the old and new AW bans, National Park and public housing firearms bans, Gun Control by UN treaty, Gun Show bans, gun ownership bans on 18-20 year olds, mandated ballistic fingerprinting and “smart“ guns, health insurance companies from charging gun owners higher premiums, and reforming the abuses of the BATFE. The NRA was the first to initiate and publicize the investigations of Fast and Furious and Operation Gunrunner. If you don’t know these issues, or know the numerous lawsuits and legislation NRA is actively involved with daily, throughout the country, then you are not informed or acknowledging all the NRA does.

I would suggest you actually get and stay informed with “The First Freedom” NRA’s monthly magazine for the most consistent in depth info, reporting and analysis on NRAs positions and involvement on gun issues, laws, legislation, gun control, lawsuits and politics. You can switch your subscription online to the print or the premium digital edition at no charge. If you want to switch or subscribe: http://www.nramemberservices.org

Check each week's issue of the Grassroots Alerts at http://www.NRAILA.org

You can also get the daily NRA-ILA legal, legislative and political RKBA e-mail alerts.
Subscribe free at https://secure.nraila.org/EmailSignup.aspx

49 States recognize the right to carry?

MA does not, NJ does not, CA does not, Illinois does not, NY does not,

Any state that requires a permit or license, or restricts licenses, or has discretionary licensing, it can be argued does not recognize your RKBA.

A state that truly recognizes the right AND DOES NOT INTERFERE WITH THAT 2A RIGHT is truly a "free" state that recognizes your rights.

I would say the poster above me is in the minority opinion here.

What group was responsible for tanking the NH Constitutional Carry bill?

THE NRA that's who !!

So according to glockaholic and 2A Compliant:

All the major gun control is NRA’s fault because they didn’t do enough politically to stop it.

And yet all the major RKBA/pro-gun legislation and lawsuits the NRA accomplished is despicable because it was done politically or through the courts.

Brilliant! - we should all join glockaholic and 2A Compliant instead of the NRA.
You show us that you have done more for the RKBA than the NRA and we'll join up with you.

Your entitled to your unsubstantiated opinions but they sound petty and ridiculous, and in the same company of the anti-RKBA media and politicians. "Shilling" for them is not in the best interests of gun owners. I’ll stick to the NRA.

Against All Odds

the Heller and McDonald decisions,

You mean the RKBA litigation the NRA originally tried to destroy? [rofl]

and reforming the abuses of the BATFE.

Yes, after a successful grass roots organization (VCDL) drew attention to some of the major abuses that were transpiring. Then the NRA influence resulted in a "wrist slapping" session for BATFE where basically nothing happened. They just went from "going full retard" to being "slightly less retard, but still obnoxious" in their enforcement.

Where was the NRA for folks like David Olofson? (And that's just one example, there's a laundry list of other BATFE abuses over the years that the NRA was notified about and did nothing about, including a whole bunch of cases that were a lot cleaner than Mr Olofoson's. )

The NRA has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to work towards a (likely easy to pass) bill to curtail the obvious abuses coming from the technical branch alone. I guess that wasn't
a big enough issue for them to take credit on. [thinking]

The NRA was the first to initiate and publicize the investigations of Fast and Furious and Operation Gunrunner.

[rofl] I saw nothing from them on this, at all.... until Grassley and Issa started ramping up the heat on the bastards.

We all realize you're obviously an NRA polisher, but at least try to keep the record clean in the process, instead of giving them credit for everything. That is their MO.... wait until someone else does something meaningful, and then interject themselves in the middle of it and take credit for anything positive that comes out of it.

-Mike

Last edited:
192 posts in 6 years and you are advocating for the NRA as if they are our saviors?

I did not make this personal, you have, that crossed the line.

If you think the NRA is great, you are entitled to your opinion, I will disagree.

The NRA is all about compromise. I don't compromise on matters of principle. The Bill of Rights is certainly not a place I am willing to give up an inch. The NRA has in my opinion.

We in NH, where I now reside, had a damn good chance of getting constitutional carry passed and enacted recently, and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would disagree with me on the following statement. The NRA stuck their nose in where it was neither wanted or needed, and managed to derail a good piece of legislation that would have survived a veto. Prove that statement wrong if you can.

If the NRA had left us alone, we would have been a lot better off up here both residents, and non residents. There would have been no non resident permit needed and no 100 dollar fee either. Since the NATIONAL rifle association cares so little about happenings at the state level, why did they feel the need to stick their nose in where it was not warranted. If you think the Heller Decision was good, and the NRA has a spotted history in regards to Heller, and you accept Heller, as the NRA clearly does, then why would they get involved in a states rights issue. We had it under control, we didn't need a NATIONAL organization, of which it's primary mission is marksmanship, getting involved.

I'm sorry you do not like my position, but the facts are indisputable with regards to the NH legislation, and that is just the tip of the ice cube.

The NRA does not represent me, nor my views, nor my position.

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The founding fathers thoughts on the subject are easily found in the Federalist Papers.

Those rights should not be infringed by the states either, but not only are they infringed upon by the Federal government, but the camel got its nose under the tent at all levels of government and that infringes upon my rights as an American.

The NRA has cooperated with the government in stripping citizens of their rights in my opinion

Last edited:
To credit NRA with Heller is an insult to Alan Gura and the GOA who led the charge .NRA wanted no part until Gura had them on the ropes,I give NRA NO credit for that !

So according to glockaholic and 2A Compliant:

All the major gun control is NRA’s fault because they didn’t do enough politically to stop it.

And yet all the major RKBA/pro-gun legislation and lawsuits the NRA accomplished is despicable because it was done politically or through the courts.

Brilliant! - we should all join glockaholic and 2A Compliant instead of the NRA.
You show us that you have done more for the RKBA than the NRA and we'll join up with you.

Your entitled to your unsubstantiated opinions but they sound petty and ridiculous, and in the same company of the anti-RKBA media and politicians. "Shilling" for them is not in the best interests of gun owners. I’ll stick to the NRA.

Against All Odds

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

The NRA is a good publisher of magazines and I think that is a strtch but as defender of the 2nd well in car terms it is a yugo and orgs like SAF are a McLaren, or a Gallardo or a Veyron, you know just because it is called a car doesn't really make it one

Well, NRA may compromise too much, and play political games, and f... things up here and there. But at the end of the day, doesn't NRA deliver more good to the 2A & RKBA cause than harm?
In other words, if NRA closes its doors tomorrow, will American gunowners be better off?

They have no motivation to push for elimination of infringements of the 2nd, it would put them out of business and that is exactly what they are a business with a veritable monopoly in the public eye.

Its a business.If enough people stop subscribing they will feel it and adjust to bring former members back.If you simply shrug and send a check they will continue to do things as usual.They need a wake up.

It seems that everyone is still confusing the NRA (which the OP asked about) with the NRA-ILA, but I guess that's understandable. The NRA-ILA is far from perfect, but then again so are we all. Just a few bullets from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rifle_Association#Political_activity

• Members of Congress have ranked the NRA as the most powerful lobbying organization in the country several years in a row.
  • Opponents of the organization accuse it of unduly influencing political appointments.
  • During the 2008 presidential campaign, the NRA spent $10 million.
  • In 2011, the organization refused an offer to discuss gun control with U.S. President Barack Obama. In response to the invitation, NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre said "Why should I or the N.R.A. go sit down with a group of people that have spent a lifetime trying to destroy the Second Amendment in the United States?"
  • Additionally, the NRA has litigated against legislation such as the Brady Bill....
  • National Rifle Association of America, Inc., et al. v. C. Ray Nagin et al.
  • NRA v. Chicago
  • The NRA supported the case of Brian Aitken, a New Jersey resident who was sentenced to seven years in state prison for transporting guns without a carry permit.
  • In 2004 the NRA opposed renewal of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994, which banned many features of certain semiautomatic rifles and certain types of removable magazines - gun control advocates wanted to make the ban permanent and expand it.

I keep hearing how "The NRA" was responsible for torpedoing constitutional carry in NH, but I still have not seen or heard how they managed to do that. I kind of doubt it really. I think on the balance the NRA-ILA is good, though like us all they could be better. What more could YOU do to support pro-2A ideals?

No. The .gov is ultimately to blame. However, the NRA has done more harm than good for 2A. Then again, if you shoot clays on Sundays and don't own a gun with a barrel that is shorter than 24 inches, the NRA is savior and no fault can be found.

Nothing wrong with lawsuits. However, we already have pro-gun legislation - it's the Second Amendment. Repeal all other gun laws, don't help pass new ones.

What has the NRA done for RKBA outside of the realm of the Fudd (Aside from stepping in on the MA handgun ban)? Hunting and sporting is all they give a shit about, neither of which were the intent of including the 2A in the bill of rights. They NRA takes the easy road and only fights for things that the sheep are somewhat comfortable with.

The NRA is in favor of, and lobbies to pass "sane gun laws". Hmmmm.... who sounds like who?

And your point is? The only time they give a shit about a non-Fudd issue, is when an all out ban is attempted, as not fighting a ban would be suicide for them. Shall not be infringed means just that. If the NRA gave a shit about RKBA, they would fight all licensing, background checks and purchase restrictions. But if they did that and were successful they would be out of business, so they won't really fight for us.

If the NRA closed up shop today, gun owners would be much better off going forward. ALL gun owners, not just Fudds.

The Not Relevant Association needs to go away.

I agree with a lot of what you say, and feel the same for the most part, but this last statement is complete BS! Whether you like them, or not, they are the largest, most well funded 2A defense organization in existence, and the only thing that stands in opposition to the larger political machine. Take them out of the way, and who will be there to oppose us going the way of Great Britain? Are you going to do it for us? Hey, if you don't believe they are effective, you have a choice - just don't support them.

I know here in Maine, the NRA is all over Augusta. I get emails all the time telling me about pro and anti gun legislation that needs attention. They ask me to call my Legislator, which is exactly how these matters are settled. My Rep (D) doesn't give a crap how the NRA rates him, but he does care if he gets 100 phone calls telling him to support or oppose a piece of legislation.

It seems like everybody wants bold strokes and huge gestures from the NRA, but that is not how things are influenced. They do tons of small things that add up. If you are looking for an instant repeal of all gun laws, don't hold your breath. Not going to happen and the NRA knows it.

I keep hearing how "The NRA" was responsible for torpedoing constitutional carry in NH, but I still have not seen or heard how they managed to do that. I kind of doubt it really. I think on the balance the NRA-ILA is good, though like us all they could be better. What more could YOU do to support pro-2A ideals?

They kept lobbying for changes to a bill that should have been pretty much a done deal. They wanted to fit it into their perfect country-wide plan instead of just going for it in nh. Dig up the thread, it's all in there. From what I understand infighting between local orgs in NH didn't help either.

Back
Top Bottom