• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinions on S&W j-frame model 36-2

Long-time member/lurker, new poster here. So hello, all!

My brother-in-law is offering to sell me his .38 Special. He has put on a Bianchi grip which he says protects the hammer so it doesn't get caught. He thinks it would be a good CC for me, as it is small enough to fit my hand, but also has stopping power in case I need it.

He was planning on selling the gun with grips and custom holster at one of his local (Las Vegas) gun shows, for about $600. Is that a fair price around here, or should I make a different offer?

I also have a barely used Ruger LC9 that I just can't seem to like. Would a one-to-one trade be a reasonable offer?

I'd appreciate any ideas you all might be willing to share.

Thanks.

I will be quite willing to buy the Bianchi grip from him or you for a very fair price and offer a pair of Uncle Mike's Boot grips in return. We don't normally talk gun prices on this forum, but his price seems high for a Model 36 esp. one that might not be rated for +P ammo.

Again, very interested in the grips, please PM me if there is interest on your side.

Thanks for the offer, Mark, but I think that if I buy the 36, I'll keep the grips myself!

How would I find out if it's rated for +P ammo?

The 36 isn't rated for +P, but it will handle limited amounts of it if one practices with the tame stuff. The bigger question is if you can find an FFL dealer to transfer it into MA.

Model 36's are not hard to find in Mass, there are tons of them for sale, I see them almost everywhere, all going for far less than $600.
There's a place in Waltham that must have easily over a dozen in the case at any given time.
If you buy locally, you don't have to deal with interstate FFL transfer fees.

Back
Top Bottom