opinions on ruger match champion .357?

Hi,

Anyone out there have a one of the newer Ruger Match Champion .357 revolvers, and what do you think of it?
What do you use it most for- fun, target shooting, competition matches, hunting, hiking protection, carry, etc.?

My wife has one, just shoots .38 though. Only used for target shooting. She loves it, always a gun people ask to shoot. Very smooth and accurate. Shooting the .38 through it has little more felt recoil than a .22.

And best of all, it never jams [grin]

A friend of mine got one.

It compares favorably with my S&W Model 66. Similar size. I think my Smith balances a bit better. Ruger is all monotone brushed stainless. S&W has blacked out controls. Ruger has nice wood grips. S&W has Hogue-like rubber grips which I prefer. Factory trigger on both is very nice.

I just can't get past the MATCH CHAMPION billboard on the side of the barrel of the Ruger. If you like it, buy with confidence. It's a nice gun.

i had one. it's OK. it's not a custom gun, handbuilt or anything particularly fancy. it's basically a GP100 with various worthless changes and a few that are actually useful, such as:
1) chamfered cylinders, which do make loading smoother
2) recessed and nicer muzzle crown - good if you drop your guns
3) slightly better sights from factory, however the front sight dovetail is different from typical GP100 so the usual GP100 aftermarket sights won't fit
4) half underlug, which makes it point nicer although recoil is indeed slightly more noticeable than an equivalent 4" GP100

i found the tapered cylinder to be a pointless upgrade. ultimately i sold my GP100 MC due to the heinous laser etching on the side that reads "MATCH CHAMPION" in bold retard font. sorry it just killed any chance of a revolver-boner. yes i'm aware this is a vain reason to sell a gun but honesty is the first step.

personally if I were in the market for a GP100 i would just get a 4 or 6" stainless model (i personally prefer the 6"), pickup some hammer shims to shim your hammer (otherwise it smacks the frame on each shot), buy a fiberoptic front sight and then shoot the snot out of it. it ends up being the same performance as a match champion without the stupid marketing/signage on the barrel.

- - - Updated - - -

A friend of mine got one.

It compares favorably with my S&W Model 66. Similar size. I think my Smith balances a bit better. Ruger is all monotone brushed stainless. S&W has blacked out controls. Ruger has nice wood grips. S&W has Hogue-like rubber grips which I prefer. Factory trigger on both is very nice.

I just can't get past the MATCH CHAMPION billboard on the side of the barrel of the Ruger. If you like it, buy with confidence. It's a nice gun.

^this is an interesting point in comparing to the model 66. I currently have the new production S&W 66 and if the price is similar to a GP100 MC, that decision is stupid easy which would be to choose the M66 all day long.

Last edited:
I love mine. Adjustable sight model. Grabagun.com has them at a discount with no tax and $7 shipping to your local FFL.

I bought the Ruger Match Champion because it looks handsome.
[laugh]
It has a comfortable grip and is reliable, can use either .38 and/or .357 caliber ammo.
I use it for target practice.

Not to crap on your thread, but this gun has been discussed in several threads over the past year or so which if you search for them will give you tons of insight. I have one and love it. It has a good trigger out of the box, but a set of Wolff springs are magic in what they do to an already nice gun. It's built solidly enough that I doubt my kid's kids will wear it out.

This is what I bought my wife for Christmas. Added a set of the rosewood-inset rubber grips that she likes, and she loves the gun. Somehow, the "billboard" doesn't bother her. Seems she can't see it when shooting it. ;)

Thanks all. I bought 1 this past weekend. It's awesome.
Where do I get my hands on the Wolff spring set, and can I install it?

Admittedly, Smith has some better looking .357s, but I was reading about recent quality control issues with even the high-line performance center models.
I have had a Smith 629 Classic 6 1/2 " .44mag since the 90s, and it's a great gun. I also have a Ruger .22 MkII, and a SR-556VT AR-15.
This match champion had a really nice trigger for the money, and great reviews (here and youtube).

Thanks all. I bought 1 this past weekend. It's awesome.
Where do I get my hands on the Wolff spring set, and can I install it?

Admittedly, Smith has some better looking .357s, but I was reading about recent quality control issues with even the high-line performance center models.
I have had a Smith 629 Classic 6 1/2 " .44mag since the 90s, and it's a great gun. I also have a Ruger .22 MkII, and a SR-556VT AR-15.
This match champion had a really nice trigger for the money, and great reviews (here and youtube).

Here you go...
https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/GP-100/cID3/mID52/dID233

Back
Top Bottom