• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinions on Nashua F&G vs Pelham F&G

NFGA’s action pistol range is more like the in-action pistol range. First, you cannot shoot on the range unless there is a RSO onsite even if you have been certified on the range. Then, when there is an RSO, you cannot draw from the holster, nor can you move. The firing position is fixed and you can only shoot at paper. No steel or any type of reactive targets. They say its “baby steps” to something better. Well by the time they get to something better, most of us will no longer be shooting as our old age will prohibit it.

I'm not all that worried about a 600yd range. Eventually I'd like to be able to shoot that distance, but I'm just not there yet. If it is "governed" like the other ranges, I dont see myself getting involved with it anytime soon. On the same note, I had a feeling the "action range" was going to be to good to be true.

And lets talk about those range qualifications. They make you take a written test which is mostly comprised of, "don't shoot your buddy" and "don't shoot over the berm." The rifle range qual was no big deal but I have been told that the indoor range is so unreasonable that people are failing it... Failing it.. As a member you pay money to be able to shoot at a club, and they design a qualification test that people can't pass. That's always seemed wrong to me. Which is why I wont be qualifying at the indoor range.

You know the more I think about it, the more I'm convincing myself that I wont renew my membership, and move over to Pelham at the end of the year. Sure I like the rifle range, and the plinker is ok, but overall, I'm not totally happy with the club.

The rifle range qual was no big deal but I have been told that the indoor range is so unreasonable that people are failing it... Failing it.. As a member you pay money to be able to shoot at a club, and they design a qualification test that people can't pass. That's always seemed wrong to me. Which is why I wont be qualifying at the indoor range.

My buddy shoots at Pelham. The indoor range qual was something like 5 rounds on a paper plate from 50 feet. The catch is that he had to fire them one-handed NRA bullseye style. Not necessarily easy for a new shooter and he had to practice quite a bit at my range before he was confident. (Supposedly most people fail the Pelham indoor pistol qual the first time.)

Edit: They also charge extra to use the indoor pistol range and you can't use jacketed bullets. (Lead or frangible only.)

Last edited:
I think for NFGA its one handed at 75 feet and hit paper, but if you want to shoot two handed you have to hit a good score. To be honest, I'm not so worried about the indoor range. In the winter I dont shoot too often so when I do I'll go up to MFLR and shoot there. IT just goes with some of the excessive regulating that goes on there.

Edit: They also charge extra to use the indoor pistol range and you can't use jacketed bullets. (Lead or frangible only.)

I was really interested in joining Pelham, currently a member at MFLR. Mostly all I usually buy for cheap ammo is FMJ, what is the downside of using lead or frangible ammo in my guns?

I was really interested in joining Pelham, currently a member at MFLR. Mostly all I usually buy for cheap ammo is FMJ, what is the downside of using lead or frangible ammo in my guns?

-Frangible is generally stupidly expensive.

-Lead ammo is also stupidly expensive, unless you are loading it up yourself, then it
is way cheaper than FMJ.

I don't think I would ever "pay extra" to be able to use an indoor range that bans FMJ... to me any indoor range that bans FMJ is basically almost worthless. Then again I'm biased because 95% of the handgun ammo I shoot is FMJ/CMJ or Plated.

-Mike

Yep, I agree that being able to shoot jacketed indoor is almost a must. One of the big reasons I joined my club was the lack of restrictions on ammo indoors and the fact that you could vary your target anywhere from 25' min. to 50'. Just no magnum loads indoors and any ammo up to and including 45 was allowed. No range officer needed and heck no qualifying test either.

-Frangible is generally stupidly expensive.

-Lead ammo is also stupidly expensive, unless you are loading it up yourself, then it
is way cheaper than FMJ.

I don't think I would ever "pay extra" to be able to use an indoor range that bans FMJ... to me any indoor range that bans FMJ is basically almost worthless. Then again I'm biased because 95% of the handgun ammo I shoot is FMJ/CMJ or Plated.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. That requirement kinda kills it for me. I was looking forward to the 24/7 access to the indoor range, but not interested in ordering special ammo. If I can't shoot my cheap Walmart ammo, I guess it's not in the cards.

... but I have been told that the indoor range is so unreasonable that people are failing it... Failing it.. As a member you pay money to be able to shoot at a club, and they design a qualification test that people can't pass. That's always seemed wrong to me. Which is why I wont be qualifying at the indoor range.

You know the more I think about it, the more I'm convincing myself that I wont renew my membership, and move over to Pelham at the end of the year. Sure I like the rifle range, and the plinker is ok, but overall, I'm not totally happy with the club.

I've never shot at Nashua and I've only shot on the outdoor ranges at Pelham. However, I've had the "pleasure" of sitting on an indoor range committee during a rules update. Is the "indoor range test" a written test or a shooting test that people can't pass? We have had problems with new shooters shooting the hell out of the range. They'd shoot the ceiling, floor, walls, ventilation system, and electrical conduit. You'd be surprised at the kind of damage (both physical and to other shooters privileges) a new shooter can cause at an indoor range.

I tried to qualify for the indoor range at Pelham during my orientation. I was trained to shoot two handed. My best score was 3/5 on the paper. It is idiotic to require single handed shooting to use an indoor range. It is the only thing I don't like about Pelham.

I tried to qualify for the indoor range at Pelham during my orientation. I was trained to shoot two handed. My best score was 3/5 on the paper. It is idiotic to require single handed shooting to use an indoor range. It is the only thing I don't like about Pelham.

I've always shot two handed also, now I'm curious. How big was the paper target you had to hit and at what distance? Did they give you a few tries at it? Guessing most must use a .22 when trying to qualify one handed.

I've always shot two handed also, now I'm curious. How big was the paper target you had to hit and at what distance? Did they give you a few tries at it? Guessing most must use a .22 when trying to qualify one handed.

If you use a .22 you are only qualified to shoot .22, if you want to shoot larger calibers you have to go through the qualification test again with something bigger.

It is really meant to be a .22 bullseye range.
If you are just looking for an indoor range, It shouldn't be Pelham. The range is good for it's intended purpose but it is not like the MFLR.
T
However, Pelham still has a lot to offer other than the indoor range. The action ranges are good for shooting any hand guns, using any ammo, but they are outside...

The target was 50' away and it was a standard NRA slow fire pistol target. I was using my 9mm with frangible rounds. I believe we were given two tries to qualify. I haven't bothered trying again.

When the indoor range was rebuilt the restriction on FMJ was lifted.

If that's the case the range rules have not been updated.
Only non jacketed lead bullets or frangible ammunition may be used. Gas checked bullets and plated copper-washed are acceptable. Absolutely no full-metal jacket or steel-core ammunition is to be used.

Bringing this back from the dead. Navy Moose are you still a member? Are you willing to show me around sometime. I am a member at MFLR and really want to get back to outdoor shooting. 60' with an AR15 is just a waste of money. Thanks!

I found this thread almost by accident.

Regarding the Pelham indoor range:

1. Jacketed ammo is allowed. No magnum over .44 and nothing over .45 cal allowed.
2. Qualification: Yes.. .off hand at 50 feet. Its a bullseye range. Not an action range. The ceiling is not armored so its reasonable to expect that people should show basic marksmanship skills to ensure that no bullet ever leaves the property.
3. Its COLD AS HELL in the winter. But at least the air is clean now with the increased air flow.

Regarding the Nashua range:

They did a really nice job improving the air flow and keeping the range warm. Other than that I don't know much more about it.

Regarding the PFG 600 yard range.

Its expensive as hell. Several years ago before I became a member, the club decided to clear a parcel of land that they decided to use for the 600 yard range. They got busted for clearing wetland and got hit with $45k of remediation. A 600 yard range costs around $300k to build btw... not something you can do without borrowing a large amount of money... the club did try to get a loan but the bank wanted the club to change the property type from current use to residential or something and that would have ended up increasing the taxes.

I found this thread almost by accident.

Regarding the Pelham indoor range:

1. Jacketed ammo is allowed. No magnum over .44 and nothing over .45 cal allowed.
2. Qualification: Yes.. .off hand at 50 feet. Its a bullseye range. Not an action range. The ceiling is not armored so its reasonable to expect that people should show basic marksmanship skills to ensure that no bullet ever leaves the property.
3. Its COLD AS HELL in the winter. But at least the air is clean now with the increased air flow.

Regarding the Nashua range:

They did a really nice job improving the air flow and keeping the range warm. Other than that I don't know much more about it.

Regarding the PFG 600 yard range.

Its expensive as hell. Several years ago before I became a member, the club decided to clear a parcel of land that they decided to use for the 600 yard range. They got busted for clearing wetland and got hit with $45k of remediation. A 600 yard range costs around $300k to build btw... not something you can do without borrowing a large amount of money... the club did try to get a loan but the bank wanted the club to change the property type from current use to residential or something and that would have ended up increasing the taxes.

Are you sure about the jacketed ammo indoors? Online range rules say no.

How many action pits does Pelham have?

I hate to sound like a mooch, but is there anyone that can take me on an "Insider" tour of PF&G? By insider, I mean someone knowledgeable that can give me the lowdown on rules and regs, and hopefully sway me to/from NF&G. I've got some cool guns, and I'll spring for ammo!

[grin]

Back
Top Bottom