opinions on biometric pistol safes

Looking for a reliable,good quality reasonably priced handgun safe for quick,quiet acess on nightstand.Checked out the barska ax11620 and the locksafe pbs-001 mixed reviews on both.Wondering what you guys are using and how you like it or don't.Love to hear your opinions thanks.

My opinion: None of the biometric safes are reliable enough.

Safes such as the Ft Knox with the 5 button simplex provide biometric like speed without the hassle or reliability problems. The only thing is there are only about 1183 combinations (unless you use the undocumented half-press mode which is harder to do under stress)

If someone makes a biometric safe that is fast, secure, reliable, and can be opened under duress, I'll use one. Until that day, my AR sits next to my bed.

If its for storage, fine. If its a defense gun, stay away. Even if the biometric sensor works perfectly every time (which they don't) your fingerprint can be obstructed by dirt, grease, blood, pealing skin, scratches, etc. All of those will delay or prevent recognition.

I went with Ft. Knox due to simplex lock and heavy gauge steel. I suggest you figure your driving factors then decide based on that. Speed, size, security, etc.

Can't remember the brand, think it's Hornady, but Lady Radtekk keeps her Glock26 in a bedside safe that has multiple types of access. Her preferred method is the rf band she wears on her wrist. Reach for the safe, it "reads" the bracelet (no more obtrusive than a "Livestrong" type and it opens, lifts, and presents the gun to her, takes about a second. There's a key fob and barrel-type key opener also.

Can't remember the brand, think it's Hornady, but Lady Radtekk keeps her Glock26 in a bedside safe that has multiple types of access. Her preferred method is the rf band she wears on her wrist. Reach for the safe, it "reads" the bracelet (no more obtrusive than a "Livestrong" type and it opens, lifts, and presents the gun to her, takes about a second. There's a key fob and barrel-type key opener also.

I've seen those, and am intrigued. Does she have to get the bracelet right up against it or will the natural act of reaching for the firearm work?

this! We all piss and moan about moonbat politicians wanting to require biometric safe gun technology on our fire arms because it is not reliable if we needed to actuallybuse it in defense.....why the **** would we trust biometric technology to even be able to get at our fire arms if we need to.

boy that wrist band sounds familiar.....oh yeah.......the ones tolman was campaigning for to have required on all guns to get then to fire.......that's right......i thought we all agreed he was an anti moonbat........so why would we want to use this technology to even access our guns? Anyone? Anyone?

Come on.....this is not doing it because we're required. This is to keep young, curious hands away from my bedside pistol while allowing easy access if I need it. I'm with you 100% on the opposition to a requirement for "smart" guns, but this is a totally different scenario.

boy that wrist band sounds familiar.....oh yeah.......the ones tolman was campaigning for to have required on all guns to get then to fire.......that's right......i thought we all agreed he was an anti moonbat........so why would we want to use this technology to even access our guns? Anyone? Anyone?

Well there is a difference between mandates and adoption of a technology that isn't at its mature generation. I used to not trust touch screens and thought they would all fail or easily scratch. Well I have had two touch screen phones and neither has failed. The differences are that people wanted and bought touch screens so the technology and g
Ass was continually improved. However if there was a mandate for touchscreen phones I would be against it. I can see myself buying these kinds of technology guns in the future but that is when the technology is mature enough, 10 years, 30 years, I have time to wait.

Come on.....this is not doing it because we're required. This is to keep young, curious hands away from my bedside pistol while allowing easy access if I need it. I'm with you 100% on the opposition to a requirement for "smart" guns, but this is a totally different scenario.
I'm saying if we all claim its unreliable thn why even consider it at all to access our guns in an emergency. I've practiced with my safe in the bedroom and can get into it in seconds. Its mechanical and I have to practice with it but much more reliable than anything that runs on batteries or is plugged into my household electricity IMO of course

I'm saying if we all claim its unreliable thn why even consider it at all to access our guns in an emergency. I've practiced with my safe in the bedroom and can get into it in seconds. Its mechanical and I have to practice with it but much more reliable than anything that runs on batteries or is plugged into my household electricity IMO of course

Fair point.

Well there is a difference between mandates and adoption of a technology that isn't at its mature generation. I used to not trust touch screens and thought they would all fail or easily scratch. Well I have had two touch screen phones and neither has failed. The differences are that people wanted and bought touch screens so the technology and g
Ass was continually improved. However if there was a mandate for touchscreen phones I would be against it. I can see myself buying these kinds of technology guns in the future but that is when the technology is mature enough, 10 years, 30 years, I have time to wait.
My commment had nothing to do with mandating it. My comment is that it just seems funny that people would say its not reliable in an argument against mandating it and then buy it to 'safely" store their guns.

My commment had nothing to do with mandating it. My comment is that it just seems funny that people would say its not reliable in an argument against mandating it and then buy it to 'safely" store their guns.

Yea it is funny, but didn't we all agree in the last thread that these boxes are really just theater of the cop's mind when the police show up at the house after you blow away the home invader?

And I also see the deeper implication. Idiots like Tolman can look at sales data and say "See, gun owners already embrace this technology..bla bla bla bla bla" and push for the mandate.

I have a barska for storage I'm happy with it. No issues, its the one slightly larger than the one you mentioned and it holds all my handguns no problem

Last edited:

this.

get something with a Simplex type lock. Mine is 10yrs old, company is out of business now, Handgunsafe.
Thing is a tank!!
I'm looking at the Ft Knox as a second for the 1st floor.

this.

get something with a Simplex type lock. Mine is 10yrs old, company is out of business now, Handgunsafe.
Thing is a tank!!
I'm looking at the Ft Knox as a second for the 1st floor.

Simplex lock is pretty great. We can go back and forth about biometric vs. combination but really what was a big deciding factor in my evaluation was requiring power vs. being purely mechanical. I always try to stay on top of keeping power/batteries good but sometimes it just doesn't work out. I was in a foreign country, lost my power pack for my laptop, and my laptop battery was on the fritz which was bad but not can't get to my gun when something goes sideways bad.

Back
Top Bottom