• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinions on best bolt action rifle...

napoleon1815

NES Member
Hey all,

Looking for a decent bolt action in 30-06...up to $700 max. Looking at the Ruger American and also the Remington 783...I don't know a lot about Savage and other brands so looking for opinions on alternatives. Thanks!

Ruger american is decent, Rem 700 is also decent. I consider the Howa rifles and Savages to be on the higher end of bang for your buck, they are loaded with adjustable triggers, good factory barrels, and good stocks from the factory if you just want a gun to hunt and shoot with.

Thanks for the input. The Rem 700 was close to $700 new...I noticed their new 783 us about $400 and seems to compete with the Ruger American.

Rem 700. Dick's had some really good deal on the 700sps in November. I want to say sub $500 after rebate. Kicking myself for not taking advantage, dont think we'll see that again.

Best group is 7/16" center to center at 100 yards with my Marlin XL 7 in .30-06 using my reloads. You can get the gun for low 300's, do a little work, and keep up with higher $ guns all day long.

If you don't want to do any work to it, I would recommend Savage because they come with a fantastically crisp trigger right out of the box as well as a floated barrel. A floated barrel isn't always the best answer to achieve accuracy, but it's usually a good place to start.

edit: What is the intended use? Hunting? Target? Mix?

Last edited:
Just purchased a Savage Model 11 in .308 from Dicks. Came with a cheap scope, heavy barrel, and Accutrigger plus a decent synthetic stock. At $599 plus tax out the door, it was a hell of a deal, and the Accutriggers are amazing. I'll post a few pics after he first range trip. I'll be shooting factory ammo at first then moving on to my reloads.

Just purchased a Savage Model 11 in .308 from Dicks. Came with a cheap scope, heavy barrel, and Accutrigger plus a decent synthetic stock. At $599 plus tax out the door, it was a hell of a deal, and the Accutriggers are amazing. I'll post a few pics after he first range trip. I'll be shooting factory ammo at first then moving on to my reloads.

I have had mine for about 2 years now and I love it. I went with a .270 :)

Best group is 7/16" center to center at 100 yards with my Marlin XL 7 in .30-06 using my reloads. You can get the gun for low 300's, do a little work, and keep up with higher $ guns all day long.

If you don't want to do any work to it, I would recommend Savage because they come with a fantastically crisp trigger right out of the box as well as a floated barrel. A floated barrel isn't always the best answer to achieve accuracy, but it's usually a good place to start.

edit: What is the intended use? Hunting? Target? Mix?

Mostly target, and to be honest, while not the best choice it's also a SHTF gun to compliment my shotguns for distance. Yeah, a AR is ideal but I wanted someting I can actually get ammo for.

Back
Top Bottom