opinions on a .308 gas piston AR

Are you dead set on an AR? I have an FN FAL SA58 carbine from DSArms and it's great.
http://www.dsarms.com/products.asp?dept=8

Have you considered the bullpup Kel-Tec RFB?
http://gunblast.com/KelTec-RFB.htm

I did already get the receiver but i wish i saw that kel-tec earlier. Only reason why i decided on an AR platform is because of the lower recoil and availability of aftermarket upgrades. I've never shot a FAL so i have no experience with them but on that site, the price of those is around what it would cost me to build a very nice long distance AR anyway...but that kel-tec being as short as it is with the same barrel length is pretty awesome. It's also probably $400 cheaper then the AR. Have you ever shot one?

I did already get the receiver but i wish i saw that kel-tec earlier. Only reason why i decided on an AR platform is because of the lower recoil and availability of aftermarket upgrades. I've never shot a FAL so i have no experience with them but on that site, the price of those is around what it would cost me to build a very nice long distance AR anyway...but that kel-tec being as short as it is with the same barrel length is pretty awesome. It's also probably $400 cheaper then the AR. Have you ever shot one?

I have not shot the Kel-Tec. BTW, I like the way it ejects the brass.

Prices have gone up a lot on the FALs (I paid 1400 for mine a few years ago). One advantage is that preban 20 or 30 round mags are readily available and not too expensive.

I have not shot the Kel-Tec. BTW, I like the way it ejects the brass.

Prices have gone up a lot on the FALs (I paid 1400 for mine a few years ago). One advantage is that preban 20 or 30 round mags are readily available and not too expensive.

there's preban 30's for the FAL's? Shit i did not know that. Any idea if there's preban 20 rounders for the AR .308's?

Nice! You'll have fun building it for sure.
I just ordered the LaRue .308AR 14 week wait!

i'm sure i will...only problem is i find myself wanting the top of the line everything so that $1000 limit is [laugh2][laugh2][laugh2] right now...closer to $2000 and rising. Those Larue's are awesome! I'm sure the wait is worth it though...if i had the cash all together right now i would have just went for one of those or a PWS

that's how it always goes. I always start out with the sub 1000 AR15 and it ends up a little bit more when I'm done. My wallet can not keep up with my expensive taste...
this is what I got http://www.laruetactical.com/18”-larue-tactical-predatar-762
it comes to mass with an a2 stock no scope of course..

it'll be awesome once you get all your parts and finish it..

Last edited:
i'm sure i will...only problem is i find myself wanting the top of the line everything so that $1000 limit is [laugh2][laugh2][laugh2] right now...closer to $2000 and rising. Those Larue's are awesome! I'm sure the wait is worth it though...if i had the cash all together right now i would have just went for one of those or a PWS

You and I have the same problem. I just had a MA-TEN built and watched the price spiral out of control. It's worth it in the end. Buy once, cry once. For what it's worth, I also looked into piston as opposed to DI. Decided to avoid piston driven AR because of 1. Price and 2. Piston ARs cannot have a free floated barrel. I was looking for as much of precision AR as I could build, so DI it is!

that's how it always goes. I always start out with the sub 1000 AR15 and it ends up a little bit more when I'm done. My wallet can not keep up with my expensive taste...
this is what I got http://www.laruetactical.com/18”-larue-tactical-predatar-762
it comes to mass with an a2 stock no scope of course..

it'll be awesome once you get all your parts and finish it..

That Larue is awesome! My dpms build is basically that same exact setup...doing the same cabine stock because i didn't want a huge bulks "snipper" stock even though i'm doing for more of a long distance rifle. Since i'm building i'm just going to pinn the MOE stock myself. For mine i'm going to order the ATC gold trigger, heavy buffer, 18.5 inch FA match barrel...should be good once i actually get everything...Since it's on backorder i may see availability on that Kel Tec KBR i think it's called (the .308 that accepts FAL mags)...starting to grow on me since i saw it yesterday hahaha

You and I have the same problem. I just had a MA-TEN built and watched the price spiral out of control. It's worth it in the end. Buy once, cry once. For what it's worth, I also looked into piston as opposed to DI. Decided to avoid piston driven AR because of 1. Price and 2. Piston ARs cannot have a free floated barrel. I was looking for as much of precision AR as I could build, so DI it is!

Ma-TEN is an awesome receiver...very expensive! I personally decided piston because i figured when i do move to NH, the pistons are easier to adjust for supressors, plus a piston ar might be better for going prone in the dirt. Most of the .308 AR's out right now that i've found were piston driven anyway to my knowledge...The DPMS is anyway...not sure if i could build it DI instead or not though

If you're going to pin a Magpul stock take a look here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/118014-How-I-pinned-my-AR15-stock

It should satisfy the law while saving you the ugliness of drilling a hole through your stock and receiver, and it's reversible (assuming you save the original parts) if you ever move out of this god forsaken state.

O wow AWESOME idea! thanks a lot, i will definitely be doing that to mine. If it wasn't for MA, i'd be saving my pennies and be looking into a SCAR, but i was told because of the stock you can't even really get them in MA...yet anyway

That being said, i'm sure it's been tried by some power people...but how could we possibly go about changing these shit laws?!? I'm only 24 so I didn't realize all this bullshit in this state until i was 21 and got my license but shit! why is NH so much better only minutes away?!? I don't understand the thought process.

Last edited:
O wow AWESOME idea! thanks a lot, i will definitely be doing that to mine. If it wasn't for MA, i'd be saving my pennies and be looking into a SCAR, but i was told because of the stock you can't even really get them in MA...yet anyway

That being said, i'm sure it's been tried by some power people...but how could we possibly go about changing these shit laws?!? I'm only 24 so I didn't realize all this bullshit in this state until i was 21 and got my license but shit! why is NH so much better only minutes away?!? I don't understand the thought process.

GOAL and Comm2A are trying, but it's a long, long road. Hopefully you haven't bought a house here. I did a few years ago, and it was shortly thereafter that I "woke up" to how bad the laws are here.

I can't wait to move to nh so I can put a can on my LaRue . I'll have it Tuesday the 19th only eight weeks I waited.
Looking forward to seeing yours finished!!

Lwrc repr if you have the coin. Top of the top in the world of semi 308 rifles.

Sent from my iPhone in the secret lair of the Supreme ruler of the ozone layer, the Dark Lord Kramdar.

Back
Top Bottom