• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinions from the seasoned vets please!

So, because i am now patiently waiting for my upin, i will only be able to complete my glock purchase and depending on what else they have, buy an additional gun on the same transaction. I was talking with a buddy and came up with 3 different recommendations.

1) 10/22
2) Full lower and build the rest as i save up
3) sr-22

Thoughts, any other recommendations? I am picking up my Glock 19 tomorrow after work and would like something under $300. As a side note, I would love to get something that the wife would enjoy shooting, I'm still trying to entice her to get her LTC :)

please excuse any typos as i am typing from my iphone.

Last edited:
So I'm at 2 for 10/22 and 2 for lower.

I was aiming for a 10/22 simply because its real cheap to shoot and very fun to plink, but then we have the AR that speaks for itself :)

It really all depends what they have available at the shop, and I'm not sure I would have the time nor the skills to mill out an 80% lower, the fiance is giving me tons of projects to do for our upcoming wedding as is.

IMO if your new to ARs wait until you know exactly what you want. You may come to realize you just have to have a preban, or a certain maker and so on. I'd give it some thought before just grabbing something to grab it.(like I did once,or a dozen times)With the 10/22 you can't go wrong. It is what it is.

10/22 and get a Volquartsen hammer kit right away. You should also do the "auto bolt release" mod, which can be done in an hour with a file and some patience. If you have a few more dollars, get the Tech-Sights TSR200 sights and your rifle will be awesome.

ARs are great, but if you can learn to shoot a rifle for 1/5 the ammo cost (and probably 1/4 the rifle cost), why not start on a 10/22? And buying a lower just means you still don't have a rifle until you spend more money.

I hear the SR22 is also nice, but when you go to the range it's nice to bring a couple things and it's more fun to have a pistol and a rifle.

10/22 or a fullsize 9 or a sr22 fullsize 9 she should enjoy sd9ve? If not id go sr22 or a goodpriced 10/22 you dont need the takedown one imo save the $.
Im really no help as ive changed my mind 3 times while typing this

10/22 because you can add tech sights and learn how to shoot a rifle using cheap ammo before you move on to more expensive choices.

IMO if your new to ARs wait until you know exactly what you want. You may come to realize you just have to have a preban, or a certain maker and so on. I'd give it some thought before just grabbing something to grab it.(like I did once,or a dozen times)With the 10/22 you can't go wrong. It is what it is.

Precisely this. 10/22s are crazy fun, cheap, cheap to shoot, abundantly upgradeable, you can get preban regular capacity magazines if you are in Massachusetts or some other stupid state with restrictions, and they offer a great teaching tool for rifle fundamentals and firearm knowledge in general.

Do an 80% it's even more rewarding to roll your own.

Go all out.

media.nl

040213080.jpg

If you can only pick one, build the AR and buy a .22 conversion kit for it. That gives you the best of both worlds.

Are you concerned that building an AR would be overwhelming for a new gun owner? I'm a little concerned.

If he sticks to a carbine length build its pretty fool proof. If he strays from that path he is a fool..

He can build the lower and buy complete uppers in both calibers.

Last edited:
10-22.

I start new shooters on my 10-22. It isn't intimidating, no recoil, no loud noises. Everyone loves it.

Put some Tech Sights on it and go to an Appleseed. Enjoy.

If you're adamant about your list, 10/22. I'd also strongly consider a MkIII over the SR-22. My bull barrel was one of very first purchases and I love it. Eats everything and is scary accurate. It made me a better shooter.

If he sticks to a carbine length build its pretty fool proof. If he strays from that path he is a fool.

Opinions vary.

Last edited:
Opinions vary.

As to how easy it is to assemble an AR lower and slap an upper on it? lol, okay... If you can play with tinker toys you can build an AR.

.22 is boring
.223 barely kicks but is at least interesting

OP can build a lower and slap a .22 upper on it then when he gets bored slap a .223 upper on it and call it a day.

Thanks everyone for the replys!!

I think I'll go with a 10/22 as long as they have one there for a decent price, now I just don't know which model to get, I'm thinking the tactical Ruger but the takedown seems pretty cool to.

Thanks everyone for the replys!!

I think I'll go with a 10/22 as long as they have one there for a decent price, now I just don't know which model to get, I'm thinking the tactical Ruger but the takedown seems pretty cool to.

I bought the base model 10/22 from FS for like $220ish? and then sold off the barrel, stock, and trigger group so I could build a nice bull barrel benchrest 10/22. There are SO many accessories/upgrades for the 10/22. Similar to buying AR parts/accessories.

So, because i am now patiently waiting for my upin, i will only be able to complete my glock purchase and depending on what else they have, buy an additional gun on the same transaction. I was talking with a buddy and came up with 3 different recommendations.

1) 10/22
2) Full lower and build the rest as i save up
3) sr-22

Thoughts, any other recommendations? I am picking up my Glock 19 tomorrow after work and would like something under $300. As a side note, I would love to get something that the wife would enjoy shooting, I'm still trying to entice her to get her LTC :)

please excuse any typos as i am typing from my iphone.

10/22 blah! I really don't know why the love affair with that rifle

If your gonna drop $300 on a .22 rifle get a quality accurate rifle, get a cz455 or used CZ452

Sure there are a million do-dad's you can toss on a 10/22 but unless your spending another $1k none of them will like make you 10/22 as accurate as a CZ

Last edited:
If you can only pick one, build the AR and buy a .22 conversion kit for it. That gives you the best of both worlds.

Not really. A conversion kit costs about as much as a 10/22. I've got the full spectrum. I've got a couple of 10/22s, AR conversion kits, and a dedicated upper, as well as a M&P15/22. None shoot as accurately as my 10/2 with a Shillen barrel and a DIY trigger job.

Although I have made Rifleman at an AS using both an M&P 15-22 and a 10.5" AR SBR with a conversion kit, its much easier with the 10/22 and tech sites.

Don

Back
Top Bottom