Opinions for carrying on your hip.

I carry both my M&Ps in this Cochise Defender by K&D Holsters.

MPCochiseDefender.jpg

Or in this pancake by O'Rourke Leather

DSC00489.jpg

They disappear under everything except the most form fitting shirts.

Crossbreed = Yugo. K&D = BMW.

[laugh]

I can't tell from the pictures, are the clips steel or plastic? How durable are they? What is the backing of the holster made out of (suede, smooth leather, etc.)?

I find it almost painful to wear IWB holsters that have a smooth leather backing, but the rough texture of the Crossbreed seems to hold it in place on me and make it a heck of a lot more comfortable.

[laugh]

I can't tell from the pictures, are the clips steel or plastic? How durable are they? What is the backing of the holster made out of (suede, smooth leather, etc.)?

I find it almost painful to wear IWB holsters that have a smooth leather backing, but the rough texture of the Crossbreed seems to hold it in place on me and make it a heck of a lot more comfortable.

Clips are Kydex and extremely durable. The holster is smooth side out both sides. Unlike you, I cannot stand rough side out IWB holsters.

Unlike you, I cannot stand rough side out IWB holsters.

Any reason in particular?

I think the smooth holsters bother me because the rub around a lot more between my clothing, but the rough ones stay in place.

Thanks for the mini review BTW.

Any reason in particular?

I think the smooth holsters bother me because the rub around a lot more between my clothing, but the rough ones stay in place.

Thanks for the mini review BTW.

They stick to me and bunch the hell out of my clothes. I always wear an undershirt (old military habits die hard) and rough out holsters stick to them something fierce. When I move (walk, stand, sit, etc) the holster doesn't move with me, it tugs at my undershirt and irritates the crap out of me.

Horses for courses, as it were.

Took a course a few years back at S & W Academy. Had problems with my new stiff holster. The instructor asked how much I paid for my new revolver....$475 I said.
And your ammunition?....$50...And your holster?....$19.95.

It was a wake up call

Another vote for the Comp-Tac MTAC! I've used it for a Walther PPS and then got a spare kydex body for a Heckler and Koch P7 PSP. I wear the MTAC 16 hours a day at about 4:30 and hardly notice it. I'm about 6'2" 190ish. It took a couple of weeks to get used to, but was comfortable right away. I use a 5 stitch Wilderness instructors belt with the kydex insert and am very happy with the setup.

I also bought the the Comp-Tac CTAC for my H&K P7M8 because they don't yet make a kydex body for the MTAC in that model. The CTAC is pretty comfortable and conceals well, but not as well or as comfortably as the MTAC. The CTAC also doesn't have the large leather backing, so it seems to move around a little, whereas the MTAC stays put. MTAC and a good gun belt with only a moderately loose tee shirt and both guns conceal very well.

Whats wrong with me???

My MTAC just came in today. I put it in different locations on my body, and used different adjustments of the belt clips.

At 3 o'clock I get a huge bulge on the side of my body which is noticeable from the front and back. If i wear it back far enough to make it invisible from the front or back, around 4 o'clock or so, It prints real bad if i were to bend over or reach out for a hand shake.

My shirts aren't too tight and I'm wearing a pretty sturdy leather belt. I also have a Wilderness instructors belt on the way here.

I hear a lot about people wearing an MTAC with only a t-shirt, but I just cant pull it off.

Will the belt do anything to conceal the firearm better or just make it more sturdy?

I'm 5'10, 5'11 and I weigh about 170 or so. Fair build.

I carry my gun in a in the waist holster don't have my belt any tighter than I would without a gun. Maybe even a tiny bit looser to allow easier access to the gun. I would only consider a ankle holster as a back up I would think its going to take longer to draw from your ankle than from your hip.

If i wear it back far enough to make it invisible from the front or back, around 4 o'clock or so, It prints real bad if i were to bend over or reach out for a hand shake.

You need to cant the gun forward. Use the adjustable clips to lower the front of the holster and raise the back. That will make the gun tilt forward making the butt stick out FAR less.

Unless your "sturdy" leather belt was designed and made as a gun belt, it probably is not sturdy enough. My leather gun belts are two plies of leather glued and sewn together.

Maybe take some pictures of you wearing this gun under your usual clothes and give us a look. Maybe your idea of a loose fitting shirt is different than mine, for example.

I am as big as you and I have zero problems concealing a full size M&P or a 4" S&W Model 29 (.44 Magnum).

Whats wrong with me???

My MTAC just came in today. I put it in different locations on my body, and used different adjustments of the belt clips.

At 3 o'clock I get a huge bulge on the side of my body which is noticeable from the front and back. If i wear it back far enough to make it invisible from the front or back, around 4 o'clock or so, It prints real bad if i were to bend over or reach out for a hand shake.

My shirts aren't too tight and I'm wearing a pretty sturdy leather belt. I also have a Wilderness instructors belt on the way here.

I hear a lot about people wearing an MTAC with only a t-shirt, but I just cant pull it off.

Will the belt do anything to conceal the firearm better or just make it more sturdy?

I'm 5'10, 5'11 and I weigh about 170 or so. Fair build.

Most likely it's your belt. Unless it's specifically designed as a gun belt, it's probably causing the gun/holster to cant outwards over the top of the belt. Wait and see what it does with the Wilderness belt or consider picking up a decent leather gunbelt. I use the casual leather 5.11 belt - looks like a 'normal' belt and is more then sturdy enough to support my MTAC and P239.

i carry my glock 23 in an MTAC everyday and dont print, even when slightly bending over

i wear it at 3:00 with both clips in the second from the bottom position. i feel like it sticks out the side alot, but when i check it in a mirror, its all in my head.

i modified the body which was from an M&P fullsize to fit the glock, so it sticks out a bit more than it needs to...so i think it will be even better when i order the proper body. i love this holster, my only complaint is the rough leather bunches my boxers up when i pull my pants up and that annoys me, but i think its better than being smooth since it would prob fall easier. i will probably get a MS VMII ones of these days, but until now, im happy

i carry my glock 23 in an MTAC everyday and dont print, even when slightly bending over

i wear it at 3:00 with both clips in the second from the bottom position. i feel like it sticks out the side alot, but when i check it in a mirror, its all in my head.

i modified the body which was from an M&P fullsize to fit the glock, so it sticks out a bit more than it needs to...so i think it will be even better when i order the proper body. i love this holster, my only complaint is the rough leather bunches my boxers up when i pull my pants up and that annoys me, but i think its better than being smooth since it would prob fall easier. i will probably get a MS VMII ones of these days, but until now, im happy

Try boxer briefs.

I carry a M&P 40c in a DeSantis speed scabbard on the 45-degree loop (versus the loop holding the slide vertical). I wear it right below my right kidney, with the front loop basically on my hip bone. This is a tricky belt looping job, since you need to go belt loop --> scabbard loop --> belt loop --> scabbard loop --> belt loop. The result is perfect though. I'm 6' and 185 lbs (built like a flagpole), and it doesn't print a bit. Plus... you can shift it back and forth for sitting without looking like your playing with you junk or scratching your butt.

Going to have to bookmark this thread and re-read it. Sounds like the same issues I have. My biggest problem is I am going to need to buy all new pants since nothing I own fits IWB.

Going to have to bookmark this thread and re-read it. Sounds like the same issues I have. My biggest problem is I am going to need to buy all new pants since nothing I own fits IWB.

Do you have a belt reinforced for firearms?

Mine is coming in Thursday, hopefully it will make a big difference with concealment.

Do you have a belt reinforced for firearms?

Mine is coming in Thursday, hopefully it will make a big difference with concealment.

I think that may be part of the problem, my belt is so worn that it starts to flex out and it looks like I am trying to smuggle a typewriter under my shirt.

Have you watched the video on the Crossbreed home page? They guy seems to be of average build, and demonstrates what it looks like with a T-shirt, both tucked and untucked.
The MTAC should produce similar results.

I'll look into those holsters. Quite a pretty penny though.
QUOTE]

The crossbreed supertuck is $69. I have one for my PPS. I go out with my wife and she doesnt even know I have it with me until we get home and I take it off to put in the safe.

I'll look into those holsters. Quite a pretty penny though.
QUOTE]

The crossbreed supertuck is $69. I have one for my PPS. I go out with my wife and she doesnt even know I have it with me until we get home and I take it off to put in the safe.

And if you use the discount code NRA you get 10% off. I cant say enough nice things about my supertuck and their customer service!

I'm glad to hear the belt will make a difference. I was disappointing my new holster didnt conceal any better then my 15 dollar nylon holster.

Back
Top Bottom